Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
My former gazelle days with the ability to jump into the back of a pick up truck are long gone. the need to load/unload stuff is solved with a "bedslide " now a days. The bedslide, contractors version, can hold up to 1200 lbs. of gear. The bedslide easily slides like a big drawer out the back of the pick up, and everything is reachable without the need to climb up or on to anything.
Check them out on their website, I would not leave home without one !!

As an alternative, I hope this helps
Chip
I couldn't agree more! Fact is, the last time I took a spill out of my 3500 GMC was when I was "customizing" the bed for use with a roll-out cargo carrier similar to the bed slide. I've never been back in the truck bed since! I also use an A.R.E. fiberglass tonneau cover which gives me roughly 19" vertical under the cover. I've heard tell lately of a "scissor" type mechanizism that permits the tonneau to rize up vertically rather than by tilting up. That would sure help to reach things up near the front of the bed when I didn't want to bother with the cargo carrier. It would be an especially attractive option for the Fords with the front step on the side of the truck body.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Lexington , North Carolina
For what it's worth, I, too, use a small aluminum step-ladder. I just toss it in the back of the pickup when we are traveling, under the trailer while at the campsite and in the shower when it is parked at home.

I find it VERY handy to use when loading the truck for a trip. I normally put a rack over the bed to haul my kayaks, which means several trips in, and out, of the bed. Further, once we get to the campsite, I use the stepladder to unfasten the canopy rather than trying to use that stupid "L" bracket at the end of the long arm. That ended up being a better use of the stepladder than for the pickup! One more thing, I hate to admit how many times I have gone out the the Airstream to "borrow" the stepladder to put something away on the top shelf of the closet.

That was one of the best buys I ever made.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
I get a running start,dive in and hope I don't hit anything too hard.
Seriously. I am tall enough to sit on the tailgate or hike one knee up and climb in. Otherwise I would carry a folding step.
you are lucky to be so tall. LOL i am not short but i couldnt just sit on the tailgate. in fact..... the beds of pickup trucks today as SOOO deep.
i dont remember my old F-150 like that. i could reach into the bed with no problem. well.... that was in 1980.
today it seems theres alot more truck.... for ALOT more money too.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
i did see a folding step stool at walmart that was rubbermaid. it was REALLY easy to unfold very sturdy. the steps are fairly wide and easy to walk up.
its not a bad price either.... like $21.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Take the plunge and buy the stool.....the longest journey begins with the first..."step".....
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Trucks are bigger, tires are bigger, but we get shorter as we age. Before this journey is over, we may need ladders to get in a Prius.

Gene
Old 01-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #49
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
you are lucky to be so tall. LOL i am not short but i couldnt just sit on the tailgate. in fact..... the beds of pickup trucks today as SOOO deep.
i dont remember my old F-150 like that. i could reach into the bed with no problem. well.... that was in 1980.
today it seems theres alot more truck.... for ALOT more money too.
My 06 F-250 is 2 inches taller than my previous 04 F-250 (totaled it) with the same make and model of tire. I had to reset the entire hitch setup.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote