Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
thanks everyone. i did see those molded steps at walmart today. i think if i had them placed on the ground near side of the tailgate ( when its down) i could just grab hold of the side of the truck as i stepped up into the bed ...no problem.

i like the idea of a sturdy cube as well .... should be plenty wide. a wooden milk carton would be good too. LOL (just kidding... waaay to heavy)

anyway....thanks for the suggestions.
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #22
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Its actually a good question... I just looked for tailgate steps and all kinds of cool products are available..

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deboinuse2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	93308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck-NBuddy%20Step%201.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	93309  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Annie, I bought a 2-step stepladder with the top step being a work platform in to Wal-Mart last spring so I'd be able to reach the pull-down strap for the awning after it tore. It works great and I take it in the truck bed wherever I go these days. It allows me to stage materials on the tailgate for later distribution. I get in and out without strain and I can set it up parallel to the sides and reach over into the bed comfortably with my bad back.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

hey Thanks guys ... i like both of those ideas !
Old 01-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I first encountered problems with the elevated truck-based tow vehicles when I traded my '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer on my new 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 Club Cab Silverado. Special accommodations weren't needed to get into the back of the Wagoneer, but were required with the Chevrolet. After searching many options, I went with the platform step-ladder in the illustration below:

It also provides a stable platform from which to clean the windshields on these rediculously elevated vehicles. So far, mine has served well for nearly 15 years. I purchased mine from Lowes, but know that the same ladder can be found through most home centers and hardware stores.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Then there are those times when something has migrated to the front of the bed and you just want to reach over the side and grab it. Sometimes I've been able to stand on one of the wheel spokes to just get close enough to reach it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

i think a 2 step is what i will i went looking at walmart again today and i discovered a sturdy one. $21. i have to check out lowes and home depot.
thanks for your suggestions.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Then there are those times when something has migrated to the front of the bed and you just want to reach over the side and grab it. Sometimes I've been able to stand on one of the wheel spokes to just get close enough to reach it.

Gene
Better?
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Better?
WOW.... interesting. thanks Robert !
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, that's an interesting tool to stand on the tire, but it would probably have migrated to the front of the bed and be just out of reach. Keeping a stool convenient has been our solution (when I can find out where "convenient" is). It also helps to have small feet to fit on the spoke (I don't) and the spoke has to be just right. Maybe an arm lengthener would help.

Gene
Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face

Hate trying to find convenient....

Carol's hav'n a hard time on her "lost & found" thread also...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	215VCCAGFQL__SS400_.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	93419  
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #32
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Those are cool steps Bob,

Our techs use them every day to work on the big truck engines. That way when you climb up there the stool doesnt kick out and cause you to get hurt.

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
So, what do you have against a tailgate step?

In my opinion that's the best solution to aid getting into a truck bed. I believe you can get them as an option on newer Ford pickups (perhaps on other brands - I don't know), or you can buy a tailgate step and attach it yourself on one edge of the tailgate.

The problem with a step or a ladder is where do you keep it? If you put it in the truck bed it may slide away from the tailgate to where you'll have trouble reaching it when you need it. If you have an extended cab and can keep it behind the seat it'll take up space that might be better used for something else.

The cement block suggestion is about as practical as carrying a pole and doing a pole vault to get in.

John
Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
So, what do you have against a tailgate step?

In my opinion that's the best solution to aid getting into a truck bed. I believe you can get them as an option on newer Ford pickups (perhaps on other brands - I don't know), or you can buy a tailgate step and attach it yourself on one edge of the tailgate.

The problem with a step or a ladder is where do you keep it? If you put it in the truck bed it may slide away from the tailgate to where you'll have trouble reaching it when you need it. If you have an extended cab and can keep it behind the seat it'll take up space that might be better used for something else.

The cement block suggestion is about as practical as carrying a pole and doing a pole vault to get in.

John
YES.... a tailgate step is a great solution. some trucks come with them... some dont. but.... you can get them put on after market and they look fine.

i have priced them out to see what they cost and i would rather save the money and use a step stool.
and ....what i would do is get one that i could put a bungee cord thru and attach it to one of the rings in bed of the truck. that would keep it close and easy to get to as soon as you lowered the tailgate.

so.... i have solved that problem cheaply. unfortunately.....simple things like that ....i am looking to solve without spending alot of money.

thanks everyone for your suggestions.... in the end.... i think the
folding 2 step stool is the right idea.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post

John
Thanks for noticing, and commenting on, my tongue-in-cheek suggestion. Maybe I should have suggested helium ballons strung together.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Getting into the bed of a VERY tall pickup...

The small platform step-ladder has several advantages that have sold me on its place in the scheme of things:
  • It comes in very handy for cleaning the windshield on that same tall vehicle.
  • It comes in handy for releasing the travel-locks on my Zip Dee awnings.
  • It is very handy for replacing bulbs in the trailer's clearance lights.
  • It is very handy for securing items carried in the Suburban's roof rack in those rare instances when it is used.
Also, when I had the Chevrolet Silverado, it was easy to keep it handy with velcro retainer straps screwed to the tailgate.

Kevin

P.S.: The carpeting in the back of the Suburban tends to keep the ladder wherever I place it, but it is usually against the tailgate much as in the Silverado.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Long as there are handholds! Key to avoiding falls. Sooner or later one is tired, the weather is wet (or, worse, cold & wet), I'm distracted in the midst of handing something down, off-centered, bending, turning . . . .

Since I employ the tail-to-tailgate+rotate method, I found that the best addition to the truck was a HOPPY #74211 Tailgate Torsion Spring:

Hoppy Tailgate EasyLift Review - etrailer.com

(Best installed with three men: two to maneuver tailgate ends, and one to hold static weight. Those little Ferds or Chebbies might be easier, can't say). Two finger open OR shut, unlike some other ways.

I found that, invariably, I had something in my hands going in or out of the truck bed, and that bending as I approached or departed -- and turning the body -- was a problem. This took the "pain" out of using the tailgate constantly and eliminated being off-balance.

The addition of the factory plastic bedliner makes everything easy to slide, so grab and hook makes for fast work even on an 8' bed. No violation of the three-point rule.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The Tundra tailgate has a built in (OEM) system, perhaps a hydraulic lift as is used on hoods and tonneau covers, that makes lifting and opening easier. Maybe other manufacturers have that too.

Gene
Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #39
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
so i was thinkin about pickups.... this new years day.

tell me..... if you dont have one of those tailgate steps that folds down. what do people use?
I get a running start,dive in and hope I don't hit anything too hard.
Seriously. I am tall enough to sit on the tailgate or hike one knee up and climb in. Otherwise I would carry a folding step.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
....what i would do is get one that i could put a bungee cord thru and attach it to one of the rings in bed of the truck. that would keep it close and easy to get to as soon as you lowered the tailgate.
That is exactly what I did, put a folding step stool in the bed witha bungie through it = no more having to try to fish it out, the stool that is.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote