Old 02-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Gene Crawford Signature Tow Vehicle

I saw this beauty and thought of our resident Tundra fan, Gene. I'm not sure how much the utility body weighs, but it it's aluminum a buy might have some decent towing capacity... and the convenience of a utility body. Personally, I have had incredibly good luck with Toyota trucks. Having most recently owned a Titan, I would still give Toyota the nod for reliability. Sorry, Nissan.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
That utility bed is pretty cool, though I'd want a cover over it too for generator, extra gas, etc. White's kind of boring. Looks like an SR5 double cab. The '07 had more chrome on the front bumper and nicer looking wheels. I think it'll look really good in Hampstead's driveway and since it's not too far from where his trailer is, he can pick up both at the same time.

Gene

Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Yeah, white is not wildly exciting. When it comes to a vintage Airstream, however, the tow vehicle is just the frame for the beautiful painting behind it.

And I'm sure my wife will be delighted to hear I want to upgrade from the Titan. She covets having a heated passenger seat.

My primary concern about a utility body on a 1/2 ton is the overall weight. If it's an alumninum utility body, it might weigh less than 700 pounds... an increase over the stock body, but not unbearably so. Still, by the time you start filling those cabinets, the Tundra might groan a bit.

What we need, Gene, is for you to convince Toyota to build a 3/4 truck. That would find it's way into my driveway very quickly.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
For a serious moment, what would it take to upgrade the Tundra to 3/4 ton? I suspect they built some things in case they offered a 3/4 ton so they wouldn't have to have 2 differentials, drive lines, transmissions, etc. There are easy modifications to the springs, but are the wheel bearings up to it?

Maybe the answer is on the Tundra Solutions Forum.

If you want that truck, and it is an SR5, I doubt it has heated seats. We have had to get along without them and such deprivation is difficult, but we have managed.

Gene
Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
You might find this interesting, Gene. It's a little technical, but the Tundra does use a number of components that would be pretty standard on the 3/4 or 1 ton. As noted on other threads, the 5 on 150 wheels are pretty wimpy for a bigger truck. The thing is, you can do a ton of aftermarket improvements but the transition from 1/2 ton to 3/4 is a matter of opinion. I would contend that the Tundra has some 3/4 to 1 ton parts in its stock configuration.

From Edmund's:

No matter what we threw at it, the Tundra never blinked. It's almost as though Toyota built a 3/4-ton truck and honed it for half-ton duty, such is its unburstable nature. You pay for the Toyota's proficiency with a stiffer ride than the Silverado, but the payoff is the most capable half-ton truck on the market.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
That article makes me feel good. So, why isn't the payload higher? Does it need another leaf in the springs, or does the rubber spring OScottyO bought, change it to a 3/4 ton?

As for the 5 bolt wheels, the bolts require a 23mm socket. They could be higher quality steel as well. It could be these 5 bolts are equivalent to 6. But they put "P", not LT tires on this truck. Toyota seems to have a way of doing everything right and then selling them with cheap tires.

Gene
Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Gene,

I don't understand the nuances of payload rating. It seems a bit arbitrary to me, particularly given my experienes working on and around trucks over the past quarter century. My '52 Chevy was a 1/2 ton truck... so is my '04 Titan. I loved the old Chevy, but there's no question the Titan can pack more groceries.

I don't know exactly what make a Tundra into a "true" 3/4 ton truck... but it seems built pretty heavy for a 1/2 ton rig. It has arguably better components than some higher rated vehicles. I know a bit more about the Titan. The rear spring shackles on the Titan are a bit thin which is why many guys go with aftermarket shackles like PRG. Given my experience with Toyota (all positive), I'd feel a lot better running a Tundra close to the rated capacity than any other brand.