Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Thanks, klevan and scottanlily for the advice. I only use 4wd when the snow is deep.

I have learned here today that I don't want to use the overdrive, which I have been doing unless there was a great amount of downshifting. Will stop that forthwith.

I have been getting about 10mpg when towing 62-65mph, with O/D. That may drop a bit.

I plan on doing some shopping this week for tv. Should be a good time to buy a Chev/GMC pickup with revised models coming down the pipe. Would love the Duramax/Allison option, but don't want to spend that kind of bucks.

Keep the good info flowing. This is a great place to learn. Our family (parents & us) have been towing Airstreams since '66, but can always learn more.

16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 PM   #16
Frank S
1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi klevan--It's hard to find a Suburban on the lot with a 4.10 rear. I always enter a factory order, so I get exaqctly what I want. Takes a little longer, dealer really wants to sell me what he has, but I get what I want. I also don't get loaded up with a hole in the roof, leather seats, bucket seats, satellite radio, and other things I really don't want, even if they throw them in for free.--Frank S

Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #17
Frank S
1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi 16595--Our first trip in our 27' Overlander in 1988 was around lake Michigan, with a Chevy van with a 5.7 and a 3.73 rear. At that time I didn't even have an equilizer hitch. Did just fine. All the roads around the lake were secondary, so my speed seldom exceeded 55mph. It's also pretty flat. Go for it, you'll have a ball.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Did our second long trip this weekend and locked it down to 3rd, no overdrive. Seattle to Yakima pulled down 11. About what I'd have expected using OD. Coming home the milage was just over 10mpg. Could very likely have been headwinds; doesn't take much to make a big differnence. Experimented a little with the rig in OD and 3rd on downhill sections. Didn't appear to make any difference according to the computer for "instantanous milage".

The big thing I noticed, on the way over especially, is that with the engine locked in 3rd the coolant temp (no tranny temp gauge, yet) was noticably cooler. It was showing ~170 instead of the usual 190 degrees.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello bhayden,

your temperature point is well noted .Your truck isn't lugging as it does in overdrive ,although it may not seem like it is .Usually mileage will be close to the same and the reduction in the engine temp is a big bonus!That by itself helps the trans run cooler and your stress level !

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #20
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. There will most likely not be any type of mechanical meltdown if it's properly maintained and you don't drive it like you stole it. .

The 6.0L is a great engine and I was shocked how much better it was from the 5.7 which I considered the gold standard, even after the 6.0L first came out.

I can't agree more about the limited slip. I, to this day can't figure out why they just don't make it standard instead of having it as an option. In some circumstances, even without 4x4, the limited slip can really get you out of a few places....of course if you boondock, 4x4 is a great tool to have, in addition to the limited slip.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote