Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #113
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
The problem with J2807 is that the handling tests were done with trailers not connected properly often on receivers that were too weak to transfer weight effectively.

The trailers used were relatively low profile cargo trailers with independent suspension.
A box trailer with a large slide with its floor 34" off the road, no shocks, primitive leaf springs and a big flat sidewall tows completely differently and J2807 does not take the difference in trailer handling into account. I think some of the auto makers are realizing that they need a different criteria to measure towability. Again lots of 4000 pound trailers are much harder to tow and much less stable than a 9000 pound 34
Airstream.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, I agree with you on the SAE standard. I think it is pretty meaningless as to true capability of any of the vehicles...and perhaps the test and setup is "off". That is probably one of the two reasons GM and Ford and Dodge haven't gone to it. Any performance based test is just going to give the weekend warrior a SIMPLE comparison between trucks. That's not proper spec'ing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Oh, I agree with you on the SAE standard. I think it is pretty meaningless as to true capability of any of the vehicles...and perhaps the test and setup is "off". That is probably one of the two reasons GM and Ford and Dodge haven't gone to it. Any performance based test is just going to give the weekend warrior a SIMPLE comparison between trucks. That's not proper spec'ing.
Actually, SAE standards, though not perfect, are a great start and certainly much better that the state we are in right now. It would allow us to objectively compare different vehicles from different (or the same) manufacturers. Right now we cannot do that.

Also, it will rule out many of the towing issues people face, for example over heating. One of the SAE tests requires the TV to tow its maximum load with AC on and 2 people on board in a mountainous road and maintain a certain speed without over heating. Or 0-60 test with max load must be below 30 seconds (and other tests).

All the car manufacturers had input designing the tests. The reason they won't implement them is that their tow ratings will take a hit (Toyota did implement them, and for example, Sequoia went from 10000# to 7400#).
Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Actually, SAE standards, though not perfect, are a great start and certainly much better that the state we are in right now. It would allow us to objectively compare different vehicles from different (or the same) manufacturers. Right now we cannot do that.

Also, it will rule out many of the towing issues people face, for example over heating. One of the SAE tests requires the TV to tow its maximum load with AC on and 2 people on board in a mountainous road and maintain a certain speed without over heating. Or 0-60 test with max load must be below 30 seconds (and other tests).

All the car manufacturers had input designing the tests. The reason they won't implement them is that their tow ratings will take a hit (Toyota did implement them, and for example, Sequoia went from 10000# to 7400#).
I agree, and yes all vehicles will apparently have lower ratings. For the average consumer, it will give an apples to apples comparison on a PERFORMANCE basis, but it will tell nothing about the true capability of the vehicle. I predict that the max loading controversy will spin more out of control than it is now.

The specs now are clear and concise....albeit VERY complex and hard for the untrained to arrive at an understanding of the vehicles' capability per manufacturer testing and recommendations. That is why I listed the course in the post upstream. The only way to get a handle on this is to get thoroughly trained. I have been told that GM will still provide all the GCWR,GAWR, GVWR....that we have today, further loading the conversation with debate and discussion.

EDIT: BTW, the reason some haven't adopted is not that they will take a hit. It is the fact that one takes a hit and the other doesn't implement till a year or two later and suffers a false disadvantage in the marketplace for a couple years. There is an effort for GM, F & D to adopt at the same time. 2015? It is hard to get concensis.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
And by the way, I am the referee. I keep score. No one is winning but it has been a great game. Jim
Self appointed referee only.

Gene
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #118
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
It's a joke!! Relax. None of this contributes anything to the betterment of the world. It is entertainment only, enjoy it. Jim
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
So I am chatting with a lawyer friend of mine about this thread. He works in the aerospace industry.

I explain the conversation to him and he starts to laugh - "Oh", he says, "one of these numbers. We've got these too".

He goes on to tell me that pretty much any number that's out of the control of the manufacturer gets reviewed by, amongst others, legal. In his words "if some joker can **** it up, we generally give the engineers a third of what they start with".

No, not from a car manufacturer, but close enough I believe to have some relevance to this conversation.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Andy, no relevance at all, IMO and experience.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Considering he works in a related engineering space, setting comparable numbers, just not for cars but for planes, I do think there's a fair bit of relevance.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Planes and cars are not comparable on operation, safety standards, etc. But That is just silly to debate. I KNOW how the numbers are arrived at, and you cannot convince me otherwise. I LIVE them daily.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #123
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

There is really is no comparison.....remember...take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.

I can understand the stricter aviation wiggle room standards.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote