Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Gauges for my tv

Hello, I just thought I would share the new additions to my tv. I really like to collect information (one of the issues with being an engineer), so I added these gauges. top to bottom; volts, trans temp, oil pressure. Tach on the steering column.

Click the tv link in my sig to see it. positraction, LT-1 engine, tow package, etc. It's a bear.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Always been a fan of autometer gauges.

I assume the car is mainly stock? Why not a vacuum gauge? (Out of room, right?)

Reason I ask is that we used them their well-known functions (in the car world), but in the towing world -- 7,000# trailers behind a big block with 3.23 or 2.97 gears -- they were THE item for knowing when to downshift on a Rocky Mountain upgrade:

When, at wide-open throttle, instead of waiting for the rpms to drop, we'd shift according to the vacuum gauge dropping to maintain best power during those 20-minute assaults.

[the purpose of this was, of course, to get the engineer-gears to clicking on where to add on yet another gauge. Then, I looked at the size of the trailer . . oh, well ]

In a little more serious vein, have you ever had a look at the marine fuel flow gauges: that, along with a vacuum gauge and tach is the "ultimate" set-up in my mind for gasoline towing; monitoring the relation between three needles for best power, or best economy, or best road speed against a head wind, etc. Real time info on fuel use vs. road speed vs. engine rpm.

We owned a '77 Impala wagon that I wound up taking out to 240,000 miles/18 years on the original motor. Father-in-law had a 96 Roadmaster that was past 185,000 miles at his demise. Great acceleration for a small block car.

Thanks for the view
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Wow. thanks for the reply/advise. My car is mostly stock. Shifting by vacuum meter is a great idea. Since my car is an auto transmssion and I'll be sticking to the east coast, I just wanted to monitor some simple stuff.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can also get an oil temp gauge, though it's more useful for manual transmission trucks.
If you're not careful, you'll wind up with more gauges than the space shuttle...
Old 04-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
You can also get an oil temp gauge, though it's more useful for manual transmission trucks.
If you're not careful, you'll wind up with more gauges than the space shuttle...
Many of the gauges in the shuttle have been replaced by LCDs. It still looks a little too busy for me. There is also at least two of everything for back up.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Many of the gauges in the shuttle have been replaced by LCDs. It still looks a little too busy for me. There is also at least two of everything for back up.
Looks like the cab of our last tow vehicle...