Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Gasoline turbo for TV? 2011 F150 engine lineup announced

Because I didn't think there was enough argument in these forums about different sizes and types TVs and their engines, I had to share.

Autoblog announced Ford's new F150 engine lineup for 2011 and it includes a version of the 3.5L Ecoboost twin-turbo gasoline V6 rated to tow up to 11,300 lb. The Autoblog writer observed one test that is specifically described as NOT taking the engine to full power, and during part of the test it was putting out 410 lb-ft of torque for 10 minutes.

I'm a turbo advocate, but I'm not sure what I think of the idea of a gasoline turbo engine in a TV just yet. I think I'll let some other people test the first year of production.. I'm leaning toward a used TV anyway since it wouldn't be my daily driver.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
IMO, displacement would trump boost in a towing situation. But hey, I'm an old guy.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Ford really has been a success story of late. If this 3.5 ecoboost performs as advertised and is reliable it is a huge advancement in gasser technology.
That Ford Flex is looking more attractive all the time. Wish the body design was a bit more aerodynamic.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Ford really has been a success story of late. If this 3.5 ecoboost performs as advertised and is reliable it is a huge advancement in gasser technology.
That Ford Flex is looking more attractive all the time. Wish the body design was a bit more aerodynamic.
y'know, the Flex doesn't LOOK particularly aerodynamic, but that huge 7-seat beastie is rated at 16/22 with the 365-hp EcoBoost and AWD. It can't be as much of a barn-door as it looks like. If my Legacy GT Wagon went away, the Flex would be on my short list for the daily driver, though if I had the extra cash at the time I think the CTS Sportwagon might win instead.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
IMO, displacement would trump boost in a towing situation. But hey, I'm an old guy.
Hi, I wouldn't mind having a blower on my 5.4 L engine, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money doing it. The way I see it is: On my V-8 the pistons are being hit with a two pound ball peen hammer; And on this smaller engine, with more horse power and torque, it's smaller pistons are being pounded by a ten pound sledge hammer. I see a short life if used for towing. [my opinion]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Diesels all have turbos now days - so much for not being a "Turbo" guy...

BUT - Diesels are built a bit more "stout" and have been around longer with more miles in their "turbo" form vice their gas brothers when used in towing - so we won't know how the new gas\turbo's using the "torque" curve more than their "horsepower" ratings will hold up over the long haul.

I would rather Ford (and the other guys) release a V-6 Diesel like the Germans - a nice 150 or 1500 with my "T-Rex" motor would be killer!!!

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
I would rather Ford (and the other guys) release a V-6 Diesel like the Germans - a nice 150 or 1500 with my "T-Rex" motor would be killer!!!

Hi, Ford and GM have been talking about smaller V-6 Diesels for their half ton vehicles, but I guess the economy killed or delayed the process.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I am soooo hoping we do as Americans put out some more "Clean-Tech" Diesels - LOVE the new oil burners!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I do love the power and mileage of the diesel. The modern electronic injection systems have made them increasingly quiet and just better.

I'm not sure I agree with the new emissions rules. With the addition of the exhaust fluid on the 2011s, these trucks are nearly scrubbing the air. The exhaust coming out of the truck is cleaner the air being taken in the air filter. Seems to be a bit much. There are cheaper and better ways to clean our air.

I am interested in seeing what gas engines do. The cost per mile of diesel ownership is pushing the limit on return-on-investment.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I wouldn't mind having a blower on my 5.4 L engine, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money doing it. The way I see it is: On my V-8 the pistons are being hit with a two pound ball peen hammer; And on this smaller engine, with more horse power and torque, it's smaller pistons are being pounded by a ten pound sledge hammer. I see a short life if used for towing. [my opinion]
The way i see it is the pistons are being hit with a rubber mallet, when detonation or preignition occurs, then its the ball peen hammer beating your pistons.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Ford and GM have been talking about smaller V-6 Diesels for their half ton vehicles, but I guess the economy killed or delayed the process.
Nooo, the oil companys want to keep up their sales... Why do you think they still sell oil thats only good for 3000 mi? Its all about fleecing us.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Nooo, the oil companys want to keep up their sales... Why do you think they still sell oil thats only good for 3000 mi? Its all about fleecing us.
Not sure who is selling you oil and filter changes, however the vehicle manufacturer isn't making those recommendations and hasn't for a long time.

Here is a cut from the 2010 Ford light truck owner's manual on oil and filter changes:

Normal Schedule: 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

Special Operating Conditions: 5,000 miles, 6 months, or 200 hours of engine operation, whichever occurs first
see appropriate schedule on page 41.

Even if you are towing 80% of the time the change interval is 5000 miles. That is 166% greater than what you are being sold. And if you aren't towing then the changes are 250% longer than what you are doing.

3000 mile oil changes a thing of the past. However there are some that are going to say it is cheap insurance for engine protection. I would agree. Nothing is harmed by changing the oil earlier. However in most cases it really isn't needed. And I don't know of any vehicle or oil manufacturer of a production car or light truck that has a printed schedule of a 3000 mile interval. There may be exceptions, however I am sure those exceptions don't pertain to non-commercial use.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
during part of the test it was putting out 410 lb-ft of torque for 10 minutes.

I'm a turbo advocate, but I'm not sure what I think of the idea of a gasoline turbo engine in a TV just yet...
gotta agree, there is NO need to be on the bleeding edge with this UNLESS buying brand new soon.

but it's nice to read they are DOING these things (on the gas side of towing life)

it's great 2 see they are advancing this technology.

forced induction, HIGHER compression and direct injection...

these all work to increase power, improve emissions

and bring gassers SOME of the benefits formerly assigned to sludge burners...

400+ ft/lbs of twist from a 6 banger GASser, rated to tow 10,000PLUS lbs is good stuff.

looks like ford is COMMITTED to eco/b and will expand it's use across the line up...

Ford EcoBoost engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we discussed SOME Of this almost 4 years ago (see post 179) ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...tml#post273739

here is a still readable copy of that link from back then...

Splitting the Difference

and the target then was 2011, so i am sorta amazed the REALtimeline is so close.

one of the weakness/issues (even on the diesel side) has been turbo related...

often the spinner bits fail or need replacement way before the other mota parts.

looks like F is dealing with this by COOLING the turbo with liquid (water/coolant)

and a screw on filter for the coolant side that's oem.

these newer turbo bits are 'supposed to be good for 10 years/150,000 miles under heavy use.

new gas options like this might even lead to a drop in the price of diesel bits.

perhaps towing and rvn aren't deadahead afterall.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Forced induction gasoline engines work just fine.

I still have my 1989 Ford Thunderbird SC that has an Eaton roots type supercharger and intercooler that I've run over 145mph in and taken a Mustang Cobra on top end with.

They get great small engine gas mileage when you're not running the #$@#$@ out of them, and they make big power when you are. The biggest thing to remember is to allow it to idle for several minutes before shutdown. The #1 way to kill a turbocharger is to run it hard and then shut it down quickly. Turbochargers get very hot, and are cooled by engine oil circulating through them. Superchargers have their own oil and don't run as hot, but it's still a good idea to idle one for a few minutes before shut down if you've run it hard.

GM had a small Duramax that was like 4.5 Litre or so. It was like 300hp and for half ton trucks. I think O killed it...but it was a neat little diesel.

But anyway, a turbo gasser is super doable. They're way cool in hot rods, could work good in trucks too.

cheers,
Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We're going to see a lot of truck engine changes from everybody, gas and diesel as we get closer to the 2016 CAFE regulation kick in. The mfrs. can't meet the new corporate averages by small engined cars alone. Trucks will get smaller displacement engines with turbos on gas side. And I heard that Ford and GM will work together to bring that 4.5 liter diesel to market for 1/2 tons and maybe lower capacity 2500s and 250s.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
And I heard that Ford and GM will work together to bring that 4.5 liter diesel to market for 1/2 tons and maybe lower capacity 2500s and 250s.
That would be great news for us Americans!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So apparently the 3.5L EcoBoost in the F150 is a tough lump. Ford put one they randomly selected off the production line through endurance testing at the Cleveland engine plant, put the same engine into a logging truck in Oregon for a while, then used that truck to tow 11,300 lb at high speed around a NASCAR track and do some steep-grade testing against competitive trucks. Then, after what Ford described as 10 years' worth of use, they put it in a Baja race truck and ran the Baja 1000 in just over 38 hours.

Granted, it's just 1 example, but it sounds like the 3.5L EcoBoost may not suck as a truck motor.

Followup: Ford F-150 EcoBoost finishes Baja 1000 in 38 hours — Autoblog
Old 11-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Final Test

Here is the track test towing for 24 hours at 100MPH flat out.

Ford - Cars, SUVs, Trucks & Crossovers | Ford Vehicles | The Official Site of Ford Vehicles | Ford.com