Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2006, 11:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
A brief edit on my post above.
I get 13 mpg towing at 65-70. I get over 14 mpg at 60-65.
My Yukon gets about that same mileage, solo, and can't pull any kind of grade towing without downshifting to 2nd, and grinding out hills at 2700 rpms and 43 mph.
The Duramax knows no bounds.... 70 mph up I-40 West from Santa Rosa to Clines Corners, NM....or 70 mph out of Moab UT up the hill to Monticello, UT....and it doesn't even know the trailer is behind it.
I won't ever willingly go back to a gasser.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Link

David ,I was reading your post on the Yukon towing mpg @ 5.5 , what motor is that. My 8.1 ltr is steady at around 11 mpg towing not paying attention to speed or grades this is a consistant average. Darrell
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Root
David ,I was reading your post on the Yukon towing mpg @ 5.5 , what motor is that. My 8.1 ltr is steady at around 11 mpg towing not paying attention to speed or grades this is a consistant average. Darrell
The Yukon has a 350...not a big block 454.
Not an option on the 2 door 4x4 Yukon.
It will pull the trailer.....it is just incredibly weak at doing so....15 mpg solo and 5.5 towing....which is less than half what the Duramax gets towing.
My trip to Utah last week was about $450 in diesel fuel and easy towing....I would hate think about that trip at over $800 for gasoline and having to grind out every hill between Lubbock and Moab.

AIR # 410
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 AM   #44
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
You guys are leaving out one VERY important factor.....NEW or USED?
Used...and pay cash! I agree with most of what has been said here. I use my vehicle for reimbursed business expense too. With the current deal I have my company pays for about 97% of my total mileage and expenses, my wife's retail business pays another couple of percent and I have to come out of pocket for the rest. Works for me. If I were to use a vehicle for only towing the AS it would most likely be a gasser (if the price were right) FWIW I typically drive my vehicle an average of 50k a year. I get 250-300k+ out of my gassers prior to any engine work being required. Last one was a 97 F150 V-6 with towing package. It required tranny replacement at 160k, radiators every 100k, oil changes every 5k. I turned it back to the company January 06 with 301k on it. They did some front end work and sent it back out as a local truck. Currently it is the oldest truck in the fleet and one of the better running Around here a used diesel will sell for at least $5-6k more than the same year and equipped gasser. Typically the diesel will have a few more miles on them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Westlalia, Your statement is right regarding VW and Ca. emissions. Just makes me wonder how Ca. will deal with the trucking industry and lets not forget freight trains. How many VW TDI's would it take to match even one SD70M-2 DC locomotive in terms of emissions?
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:03 AM   #46
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi dscluchfc--Your 2-door Yukon with the 350ci V-8 would be an older 1/2 ton vehicle. The newer 5.3ltr has more grunt, but I don't think either is enough for a 31' A/S. Your Yukon also probably had a 3.73, or maybe a 3.42 rear, which would result in really poor hill climbing, and the low fuel mileage you indicated. For a gasser in GM talk you would need a 3/4 ton with a minimum of 6.0ltr and a 4.10 rear. Real happiness would be with an 8.1ltr with a 3.73 rear like Darrell has.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Spring question

Since I have all you truck guys and gals here......

Setup:
06 F250 psd 4X4. Has a camper package. Torsion bar and rear springs upped one level. Front springs upped two levels.

Question:

Would this be A/S friendly or should I remove torsion bar and a spring or two?

I went to the dealer to look at gassers and they made a smokin deal on this brand new PSD. i.e. Psd costs $1200.00 over gasser!!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping

Setup:
06 F250 psd 4X4. Has a camper package. Torsion bar and rear springs upped one level. Front springs upped two levels.

Question:

I went to the dealer to look at gassers and they made a smokin deal on this brand new PSD. i.e. Psd costs $1200.00 over gasser!!
The camper package on a F250 adds stiffer front springs (if available), overload rear springs, and a rear swaybar. Your new truck will ride slighter firmer than my 2WD F250 (which is plenty firm already) but not much. Unless you plan to haul A LOT of weight in the truck you'll never touch the overloads while towing. The stiffer front springs are nice with the diesel as I think the front of my truck is a bit too soft considering the weight of the diesel.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi dscluchfc--Real happiness would be with an 8.1ltr with a 3.73 rear like Darrell has.--Frank S
REAL happiness is a Diesel!

AIR # 410
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #50

1971 25' Tradewind
Eaton , Ohio
REAL happiness is a Diesel![/quote]
Right on! Those that have them know the feeling of unlimited power potential, incredible economy, and reliability.
Plumber Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Quote:

Setup:

Question:

Sounds like a good deal to me. Jeff
Old 08-14-2006, 07:41 PM   #52
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
And nobody yet has really mentioned the irrational part (okay, I sorta did), but what is the extended cost of ownership if you plan to keep the truck forever? (I drove my last one - a gasser - 13 years and 127K miles. I'd still be driving it if somebody at a forum ralley hadn't poisoned my thinking about the transmission and the size/weight ratio of truck to trailer.) I always knew that the truck could be up for an expensive overhaul at virtually any time.

I also know that if I respect my Cummins, there's a very good chance that it can outlast me. Getting the rest of the truck there over the span of years it's going to take will be a challenge. Even worse, the Cummins hates ambling around town. (Folks get the best results from running them hard every day. Folks that do that get the magical 500k overhauls, too.)

I plan to take it in in a couple or five years for the first valve adjustment at 125K miles.

I worked for years as a critical transport paramedic in GA. We drove PSDs, and I have several 100K miles experience in them. In fact, they've left me broken down all over GA and FL. We never broke a core engine part, however, either with the 7.3s or the 6.0s. We never even lost an injector. Things like radiator hoses, idler pullies, clogged fuel filters, and failed computers brought us down.

When I got ready to buy my own truck, it was going to be anything but a FORD.

Of course, I have a distorted picture. I remember the desperate times that we broke down and the ambulance needed an ambulance! I glance over the several hundred thousand miles a number of different trucks just worked the way they were supposed to.

But I also remember driving a brand new intercooled PSD onto a deserted back road and taking the truck and the box up to 90 mph. This didn't last long. I coasted back to a civilized speed. When I got back to the station, I lifted the hood and really looked at the motor. I decided that the intercooler was the root of all evil. I thought our GOOD TRUCKS (the 7.3s) didn't have them, and the intercooler was asking for trouble (and hot-rodding).

It ultimately proved to be a very reliable truck. It only broke down on me once, and that was at 43,800 miles. The emergency room radioed that we appeared to be leaking something, and then my brilliant partner actually looked at the temperature guage. We never even made it out of town. Local EMS couldn't continue the trip for us, so we hitched a ride back with the patient and returned him to to the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit so somebody else could take over the transport. The charge nurse was NOT amused when I asked her if they took returns.

Lamar

(And that's one of the few stories that I WILL tell. There are thousands more that any given paramedic won't.)
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #53
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview
How many VW TDI's would it take to match even one SD70M-2 DC locomotive in terms of emissions?
3.5 TDI's per cylinder, times 16 cylinders. And the 710 is 2 cycle, so it would pollute more than the 4 cycle TDI. Of course, 4300 horsepower would make for some fun driving in city traffic, @ 4 gallons per mile.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #54
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
And nobody yet has really mentioned the irrational part (okay, I sorta did), but what is the extended cost of ownership if you plan to keep the truck forever? (I drove my last one - a gasser - 13 years and 127K miles. I'd still be driving it if somebody at a forum ralley hadn't poisoned my thinking about the transmission and the size/weight ratio of truck to trailer.) I always knew that the truck could be up for an expensive overhaul at virtually any time.
Sorry...
Old 08-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #55
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I did not name you, Terry, and I did not say you were not right. I really like hanging my elbow out the window and listening to the turbo whine on the Cummins.

With ths engine and this transmission, I can tow anything made in Jackson Center that I'm ever likely to buy.

Be not sorry. Be happy. I am, and I thank you. I went from a deb to a brute, but I think it'll equal the ownership of the Dakota several times over.

Never, ever, be sorry for good advice that is taken and acted upon.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello SafeHarbor, Boy Im shocked really at the items you described on your
ambulances that failed ,most all were maintanance not being done ! the computer is a different story ,but never should a diesel fuel filter ever be clogged due to not having it changed .Radiator hoses blowing? I hope I never
need an ambulance in GA .I must ask why would any company neglect
there ambulance fleet? Those items were lack of service ,not a ford issue.
Any diesel owner should know that the fuel filters and water separators are
critical must maintane items period .Sobering to know that when your life is on the line ,you may not make it to the hospital .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
The deal was too good. In front of my house is a silver '06 PSD 4X4. I am soooo weak.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #58
_

. , .
Quote:
The deal was too good. In front of my house is a silver '06 PSD 4X4. I am soooo weak.
Way to go goin! pictures pleasse!

did you drive it much? what model/bed length. you will love the trailer brake....

cheers 2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
Way to go goin! pictures pleasse!

did you drive it much? what model/bed length. you will love the trailer brake....

cheers 2air'
Its a Silver Crew cab with a short bed. I'll post pictures after I pick up the Safari 25 FB this Saturday.

After I picked it up last night we went for a drive and I'm using it this A.M. for a 90 mi. errand. What a kick to drive. Much different from the last diesel I drove. A tractor trailer.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 08-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
You will have to do a lot of show and tell at the Nor-Cal rally at Lake San Antonio