Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
A 2006 Chevy Silverado HD2500, Extended cab, short bed, Duramax/Allison, 4X4. Impressed with the drive train.
I had a friend who also is a x truck driver recommend that setup. I haven't test drove the Chevy yet. I like Fords but I am open to other brands if I feel they are better so I will drive on soon.

Thanks Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
BTW, when towing at interstate speed, I always stop at regular intervals and check the temp of the tires on the Airstream and they have never been more than warm to the touch. The trailer and tires are new and currently have less than 2,500 miles on them. I will probably replace them at 8,000-9,000 miles if I continue to tow in the pattern I have been this summer.
Here is a tip about checking your tire temperature, I have Smartire sensors installed on my truck and had them on my previous trailer and they worked ok. What I do with the new trailer is use an infrared remote reading thermometer. The one I have is incorporated into a multimeter I happened to use on radio gear. I point the red dot at the tire and get the temperature. You can move the dot to different locations on the tire and you keep your hands clean. Bonus you can read temp of the engine components or the temperature of the slice of Pizza you are heating under the hood.

Mr. Perfect Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 09-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #157
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Needham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I will stick with gas. My Navigator with 300 HP and 375 lbs torque at a very low 2700 RPM does very well towing my 25 ft Airstream. I have always said that "If I ever buy a Diesel, it will be in a real truck. [ Mac, Peterbuilt, Freightliner, Autocar, White, Kenworth Etc. ] This is my opinion. All gas stations have gas and some have Diesel. Where I live Diesel fuel costs more than the premium required for my Navigator. I don't want black stains on the front of my trailer. I don't like the stink, knocking noise, turbo whine, and the drivability of a extreamly front heavy Diesel pick-up. Drive a gas pick-up, then drive a Diesel pick-up and tell me you can't feel the difference. Unhooked I'm sure my Navigator rides much nicer than your Diesel does. And Gas or Diesel I don't want any vehicle with 300,000 miles on the clock; Yes it still runs, but the seats are caveing in, the dash is cracking, the bushings are squeesing out, the doors feel like they are about to fall off, and the water base paint is peeling. After all that misery, I can brag that my vehicle made 3 million miles. Big deal, and yes I finally broke even on the Diesel option versus fuel costs.
All that plus what Frank S said. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Bob [opinionated, but truthful]
I did drive a gas Silverado pickup and then a Duramax diesel. I don't know what diesels you have driven but the Duramax I drive dosen't create black stains on the front of my trailer, stink, produce knocking noises, or drive extremely front heavy. It does have turbo whine, but I like the sound.

The Duramax puts out 650 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm which is nearly 75% more than the 375 lb-ft @ 2700 rpm of your Navigator. The torque curve is nearly flat from 1600 rpm out to the maximum rpm of the engine. I probably don't need all that torque, but I like being able to quickly accelerate to highway speed, pull up mountain roads without straining the engine, and cruising at 60 mph with engine rpm at less than 1600. I love that Diesel truck!
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Diesel versus Gas

Hi, Bill Tex. I pretty well think that we are even on the subject of moving parts in both kinds of engines; But where you lose me, is when you stated gas engines have spark plugs. Yes they do, but spark plugs don't move! " A Diesel has less [moving] parts because the fuel is ignited by compression and not spark plugs." Your original statement was Diesels have less moving parts?

Hi, Minnie's Mate. My Navigator is rated to tow up to 8,900 lbs. And my Safari has a GVWR 6,300 lbs. So I'm well into the safety zone. And it does the job well. On the other hand, Your set up works well for you. I wouldn't ever consider towing a 30' Safari with my tow vehicle. So you made the right choice for you.

Hi, hiker. I'm one of those people who can feel the difference in the driveability of my vehicles by load, amount of fuel in the tank, and addition of passengers. I work at a Ford dealer and drive vehicles every day, as shopforeman, and there is definately a hugh difference in the feeling of driveing a gas engine pick-up versus the same model with a Diesel engine. It's not only the extra weight of the Diesel, but the extra weight of all the other components that go with it. OK, So let me get this straight. Hiker cannot feel the extra weight of a Duramax over that of of a G.M. gas engine. Hiker does not smell Diesel fuel or exhaust. Hiker does not hear the knocking noise made by Diesels made by the combustion of the fuel under high compression and heat combined. [normal operation] But you did hear the turbo! And yes, the newer Diesels are much cleaner and unless the have a problem, you won't get black stains on the front of your trailer like you would for sure if it were a Diesel of the past few decades. [Notoriuosly for belching black smoke all over everything.]
Hiker please show me the math that gives you 75% more torque from your 650 lbs compared to my [corrected] 355 lbs and while you're at it consider the fact that your engine has 70+ more cubic inches than my 330 cu.in. Lincoln engine.

Bob
Old 09-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

Needham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, hiker. I'm one of those people who can feel the difference in the driveability of my vehicles by load, amount of fuel in the tank, and addition of passengers. I work at a Ford dealer and drive vehicles every day, as shopforeman, and there is definately a hugh difference in the feeling of driveing a gas engine pick-up versus the same model with a Diesel engine. It's not only the extra weight of the Diesel, but the extra weight of all the other components that go with it. OK, So let me get this straight. Hiker cannot feel the extra weight of a Duramax over that of of a G.M. gas engine. Hiker does not smell Diesel fuel or exhaust. Hiker does not hear the knocking noise made by Diesels made by the combustion of the fuel under high compression and heat combined. [normal operation] But you did hear the turbo! And yes, the newer Diesels are much cleaner and unless the have a problem, you won't get black stains on the front of your trailer like you would for sure if it were a Diesel of the past few decades. [Notoriuosly for belching black smoke all over everything.]
Hiker please show me the math that gives you 75% more torque from your 650 lbs compared to my [corrected] 355 lbs and while you're at it consider the fact that your engine has 70+ more cubic inches than my 330 cu.in. Lincoln engine.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Forum members can decide for themselves whether present-day diesels stink, make objectionable knocking noises, or drive extremely front heavy. I only know I have been pleasantly surprised about how quiet, smooth, and stable the truck is at highway speeds, and wanted to share my personal experience with other forum members who may be considering a diesel.

About the torque calculation ...
I used your original value of 375 lb-ft in the calculation. The math is as follows: (650-375)/375) * 100 = 73.3%. If I had used your corrected value of 355 lb-ft, the math would have been: (650-355)/355 * 100 = 83.1%.
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
Old 09-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Test Drove A DMAX

I just returned from test driving a DMAX and I can say it drove better than the PSD I drove the other day. It rode much better and had no valve noise or Turbo Whine. The ride was much closer to my F-150 SuperCrew Lariat with the 5.4 Triton V8. I own two Fords so I was very surprised.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 09-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #161
Mad1

1989 29' Excella
Dallas , Texas
I had a '91 Dodge/Cummins that I put over 250,000 miles
on and purchased at full price because you could not get
discounts at the time. At that point the Cummins ran exactly like it did new but everything that said Dodge was
worn out. I replaced it with a new '04 Nissan Titan that I bought from a dealer at a tremendous discount in May '05.
Yes when towing I get 10mpg instead of 13 and when not
towing 15 instead of 19, but I am using less expensive regular gas. Another factor if you boondock far from the beaten path as I do it is much easier to find gas. No regrets here.

Steve
WBCCI#1989
1989 Excella 29ft
1961 Avion Tourist 20ft
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Math

Hi, hiker. Check this out. I did some math.

355 lbs torque ..........................................my torque
x 83% = 294.65
355 + 294.65 = 649.65 ..............................your torque
83% more torque for your diesel.

330 cu. in. .............................................my cu.in.
x 22% = 72.6
330 + 72.6 = 402.6 ....................................your cu.in.
73 cubic inches more for your engine

Theoretically if my engine was 22% larger [same size as your's]

355 lbs torque .........................................my torque
x 22% = 78.1
355 + 78.1 = 433.1 ...................22% theoretical torque

433 theoretical torque
x 50% = 216.5
433 + 216.5 = 649.6........Theory only, not real. If my gas engine was the same size as your Diesel engine, 22% larger and had the same percentage torque increase, your diesel would still have 50% more torque size for size. This makes mine not look as bad as the 83% difference considering my smaller engine.

Bob
Old 09-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #163
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I think we are about to get to the point that we need to get out the tape measure and start unzipping our pants!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:05 AM   #164
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I think we are about to get to the point that we need to get out the tape measure and start unzipping our pants!
Hi, and you thought putting it in your pipe and smokeing it was bad!

Bob
Old 09-09-2006, 01:15 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Diesel for me in the New World!

Well… after much homework and reading your messages…
I dove in and bought diesel:
2006 F-250 PSD CC XLT… Silver, of course:
See photo below…
Click image for larger version

Name:	My truck1.4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	25742
It all came down to geography and longevity…
Diesel power is more suited to traversing the surrounding mountains.
And this truck needs to last long into my retirement.
The built-in brake controller and tow mirrors sweetened the deal.
Thanks all for sharing your experiences, thoughts and feelings.
Lets keep posting our experiences as the "New World" evolves…
As the new ULSD fuel is introduced…
As oil leaks in Alaska and is found in new places…
What will it be for you… gas or diesel?

Bill
Old 09-09-2006, 05:50 AM   #166
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
How Far Would You Go ?

Quote:
I don't think so.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 09-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #167
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Nice Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
Diesel for me in the New World!

Well… after much homework and reading your messages…
I dove in and bought diesel:
2006 F-250 PSD CC XLT… Silver, of course:
See photo below…
Attachment 25742
It all came down to geography and longevity…
Diesel power is more suited to traversing the surrounding mountains.
And this truck needs to last long into my retirement.
The built-in brake controller and tow mirrors sweetened the deal.
Thanks all for sharing your experiences, thoughts and feelings.
Lets keep posting our experiences as the "New World" evolves…
As the new ULSD fuel is introduced…
As oil leaks in Alaska and is found in new places…
What will it be for you… gas or diesel?

Bill
Bill, nice truck. I have driven the PSD and the DMAX in the past week hard to find fault with either one. Those mirrors are nice. I hope you got the Labor day deals.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 09-09-2006, 06:42 AM   #168
3 Rivet Member

Needham , Massachusetts
Congratulations

Silvergate,
Congratulations. That's one nice looking truck.

06 Chevy Duramax/Allison