Old 09-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Diesel All the way

I purchased a 2006 VW Jetta TDI (diesel) and get 40 MPH around town and 50+ on the highway. I then traded my 1/2 ton gas truck for 3/4 ton diesel with alison 6 speed and went from 14 mph around town (gas) to 19 mph (diesel) and 17.5 highway (gas) to 22.5 (diesel). For me, I may pay more for diesel at times, but it more than makes up for the difference in the long run. More torque and pulling power.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I feel no shame, "If you got it, flaunt it!" Besides, we're only talking 5 MPH over the speed limit.
Please put flashing light on your rig so I don't get you confused with someone speeding.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
I purchased a 2006 VW Jetta TDI (diesel) and get 40 MPH around town and 50+ on the highway. I then traded my 1/2 ton gas truck for 3/4 ton diesel with alison 6 speed and went from 14 mph around town (gas) to 19 mph (diesel) and 17.5 highway (gas) to 22.5 (diesel). For me, I may pay more for diesel at times, but it more than makes up for the difference in the long run. More torque and pulling power.
Which truck did you purchase ?

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Bill Tex. That was some responce and I don't disagree with any of that. But I didn't see the part about a Diesel haveing less moving parts. Take your time; you must be winded after all that.

Moving parts: Gas and Diesel
crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, connecting rods, timeing chain and sprockets or gears, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, valve springs, valves, oil pumps, mechanical fuel pumps, oil pressure regulator, and throttle body. [air intake]
I purposely did not count distributor [most gas engines don't use these anymore] or counter balance it with injector pump. If I missed something let me know; I'm a little rusty right now. But I think the count is vertually even!
And once again I will second Frank S. If and when the usefullness of my six year old, 40,000 mile Navigator is up I will buy something newer.

Bob
Old 09-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Speed Limit

Hi, Minnie's Mate, You said 75 MPH is only 5 MPH over the limit. For me, I read that two different ways. In California trailer towing speed limit is 55 MPH. So that would be 20 MPH over the speed limit. But I more closely follow the trailer tire speed rateing set at 65 MPH. And in that case it would be only 10 MPH over the limit. For that reason I try to not go faster than 65 MPH and keep a close watch in my mirror. [Cops]

Bob
Old 09-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
link

These diesel vs gas are giving me a brain cloud-diesels are still very costly get minimal better mpg 11 gas vs 16 diesel plus you nearly always have to have a truck rather than a smoother driving vehicle. Hey I might like it. I test drove the duramax with allison,it still does not compare to a suburban type vehicle for comfort. Darrell
Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Minnie's Mate, You said 75 MPH is only 5 MPH over the limit. For me, I read that two different ways. In California trailer towing speed limit is 55 MPH. So that would be 20 MPH over the speed limit. But I more closely follow the trailer tire speed rateing set at 65 MPH. And in that case it would be only 10 MPH over the limit. For that reason I try to not go faster than 65 MPH and keep a close watch in my mirror. [Cops]

Bob
Iwas in Arizona where the speed limit is 75mph for all vehicles. I had a lot of thoughts about my Marathons as I went 63mph.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #148
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Hi, Bill Tex. That was some responce and I don't disagree with any of that. But I didn't see the part about a Diesel haveing less moving parts. Take your time; you must be winded after all that.

Moving parts: Gas and Diesel
crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, connecting rods, timeing chain and sprockets or gears, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, valve springs, valves, oil pumps, mechanical fuel pumps, oil pressure regulator, and throttle body. [air intake]
I purposely did not count distributor [most gas engines don't use these anymore] or counter balance it with injector pump. If I missed something let me know; I'm a little rusty right now. But I think the count is vertually even!
And once again I will second Frank S. If and when the usefullness of my six year old, 40,000 mile Navigator is up I will buy something newer.

Bob
America, the throw away/consumer society! I have always considered autos the worts investment one can make. The best way to maximize your investment in a car/truck is to amortize over a long period of time. I try to keep all my vehicles for 10 years. I always buy GM, and have had everyone of them go well beyond 100k miles. I moved up to a 3/4 ton diesel for towing after getting our latest camper and experiencing what it is like to be pushed around in a 1/2 ton truck. No fun. Untill you have experienced this it is hard to accept. Had a 1/2 ton, now have a 3/4 ton. I know what I will be towing with from now on.

A diesel engine has less parts because the fuel is ignited by compression and not spark plugs.Choosing between a gas and diesel engine really comes down to what you'll do with the truck and where you live. If you use your truck like a car, desire quick, quiet acceleration, rarely haul a heavy load and you don't plan on keeping it past 100,000 miles, then you want a gas engine. They run smoother, fuel is easier to find and they're easier to start in cold weather. However, if you use your truck for towing, value good fuel economy, and plan on racking up loads of miles, then a diesel is for you. In the end, the leading disappointment regarding diesels is that the price to add a diesel to a 3/4- or 1-ton pickup is still quite high versus a more powerful gas engine. But, you'll make this back in fuel savings over time. Now we need diesels in 1/2-ton pickups and midsize SUVs.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
A diesel engine has less parts because the fuel is ignited by compression and not spark plugs..
Bill, saying a Diesel has less parts than a gas engine because it doesn’t have spark plug is a very simplistic and just not factual. Which Diesel are you talking about which gas engine are speaking of. A Diesel has an injector pump and a injector in the cylinder. I have a gas powered truck and Diesel Powered boat. I would rather replace a spark plug any day than an injector on the boat. The cost of the injector is expensive and the amount of work to do it correctly is much more. Diesels are harder to work on and will cost you more. Over the years I rebuilt several engines and as far as I concerned they all have to many parts.

I have a gas truck at this time and when I buy again I will more than likely buy a Ford F-250 PSD. But you can also get a Super Duty gasser. I will go with the F-250 for many of the reasons you stated. If your 25’ trailer pushed around your ½ ton truck I would have to think you had other problems than it being gas or diesel. I do agree that the heaver ¾ ton truck is safer.

Bill you are lucky man as you have some of the best and highest quality equipment for towing and I feel safe sharing the road with you.

BTW speeding is speeding no matter what you chose to call it and it endangers everyone else on the road.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #150
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:

Bob
Well Bob, I live on the East Coast and I will keep that in mind if/when I ever go to California. I will also keep that in mind if/when I ever go to Texas, I believe I read their speed limit for towing is 55 MPH also. But in the states where I have traveled, it is 70 on the interstate: same as for the non-towing vehicles and hardly anybody sticks to 70. If you do, you have to stay in the truck lane or get run over. Most car traffic goes around 80 MPH and some go more.

You know, most of you gaser guys are reacting as if we diesel drivers are making personal attacks on your gas vehicles or on you personally for driving them. I don't think any of us who drive diesels mind if you drive gas jobs, but we have been "forced" into justifying our decisions to go diesel. That is so often the case when someone goes outside the mainstream.

I used to think I would never drive a diesel for the same reasons Bob and others have critisized us for driving them. Also, I suffer migraines terribly and diesel exhaust is one of the triggers that sets them off. But when we decided to get an Airstream it was also time for me to replace my F-150 that I had had for 10 years. Up until that point I had planned to purchase a Lexus RX-400h but the decision to buy a travel trailer nixed that idea. Talk about doing a 180. Anyway, I drove with my A/C on recirculate 365 days a year in all my vehicles to prevent exposure to pollen and diesel fumes in traffic to prevent migraines. I do the same with my F-250 now. Yes the ride is harder, but it would have been just as hard with a V-10 F-250. It is a little louder, but there really is a lot of good sound insulation in the cab and the extra "soft" surfaces of the crew cab helps there, too.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a Navigator as a tow vehicle if it is up to the job. According to the manufacturer's specs it, and the F-150, would tow my 30' Safari, but I wanted to make sure I had the extra torque and more importantly, I wanted the extra durability, larger brakes, heavier suspension, and ability to haul items in the bed while towing. BTW, this week end, I towed my Airstream and had a 1,000# golf cart in the bed of the truck and had no problems in the North Central Georgia mountains (Pine Mountain) with my F-250.

BTW, when towing at interstate speed, I always stop at regular intervals and check the temp of the tires on the Airstream and they have never been more than warm to the touch. The trailer and tires are new and currently have less than 2,500 miles on them. I will probably replace them at 8,000-9,000 miles if I continue to tow in the pattern I have been this summer.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #151
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
the price to add a diesel to a 3/4- or 1-ton pickup is still quite high versus a more powerful gas engine
Except in this day the diesels have more power! I'm not talking about horsepower, I'm talking TORQUE, huge amounts of usable torque at a usable RPM level.
Sure, the new Ford V10 will outrun my 6.0 in an empty dragrace. But I didn't buy my truck to dragrace and with a heavy load my diesel will outpull a V10 EVERYTIME!
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
A 2006 Chevy Silverado HD2500, Extended cab, short bed, Duramax/Allison, 4X4. Impressed with the drive train.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #153
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
BTW speeding is speeding no matter what you chose to call it and it endangers everyone else on the road
I feel so much safer with perfect people on the road.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I feel so much safer with perfect people on the road.

Glad to have provided some peace for you.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost