Old 12-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I hear this repeated a lot. It's just not my experience. If it's happening to others, I'd like to hear their stories directly (you may have swapped from a Diesel 3/4 ton - I don't recall).

3 seasons under our belts with Chevy 2500 HD Diesel towing a 27FB Flying Cloud. Nothing destroyed, no popping rivets, no open drawers or cabinets...just reporting our experience.
Perhaps the most reliable accounts of heavy duty pickups being rough on Airstreams in long term usage comes from two forum members who have operated Airstream businesses including repair much of their lives, Inland Andy and Andrew Thomson. Read their posts for advice on the matter.

Another source is our Airstream Owners Manual which has a warning about stiff suspension being hard on our Airstream.

Less direct but there may be a pattern; read the frequent complaint threads about Airstream quality allowing cabinet doors and drawers opening, cabinets coming apart, some loosening or falling, screws tearing out, things being tossed around. Note the tow vehicle. Less direct implication because it may also be related to hitch style and setup, and loading of any vehicle, as well as roads frequently traveled.

Based on this information we don't use a heavy duty truck for our Airstream(s). We use a half-ton, realize it's few limitations, and have towed all over the country many, many times. No damage, nothing tossed about, nothing coming loose.

These days you can have your (truck) cake and eat it too. Ford and Chevy half-tons with substantial payload. Turbo-charged gas engine in Ford and diesel in Ram half-tons. Colorado/Canyon turbo-charged diesels with standard exhaust brake. Ram with coil or air suspension in 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.

Instead of this vs that, you can select a truck (or SUV) that closely matches your specific load and Airstream towing needs with an eye towards a pleasant drive for you and your Airstream, towing and daily driver.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
At our store we have a 2015 2500 6.0 Litre Gas 2WD with an extended cab. We chose this truck because it is the only one available with an extended (not crew) cab with 4 individual doors. We want the extended cab and 6.5' box to try and improve the maneuverability as much as possible.

The cab of the truck is nice, it is as quiet as a luxury car. This truck almost never tows an Airstream we use it to tow fifth wheels which have considerably more air drag and weigh 12-14000 pounds. The 3000 pounds of pin weight on these is enough to make the rear suspension ride relatively smooth, however the front suspension is sprung much firmer than it needs to be. Shock control is anemic at best so once the springs soften a little it will be changed to Bilsteins. We did not choose diesel as the overall ownership cost is much higher for our usage, we only put 18,000 miles per year on this . . . .

I hope this helps.

Andrew T

See if KONI NA has the FSD line of shock absorbers for your year model truck.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #31
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Prefer my Diesel....just a bit harder to "fix"... Should the opportunity arise...

On a recent trip, several dealers had ONLY one "diesel tech"... And more work than they could handle....good for them.

The new vehicles have same issues as Model T, with a whole load of geek and double "load" of governmental "assistance" ...obviously intended to "help".

So, turns out the vehicles are harder to "service"...and few are allowed the time or have the talent to properly diagnose and repair while under warranty. In my opinion, That is why you have a "service advisor"....so you do not get to ask the mechanic (tech), questions. It is very efficient and profitable to operate like that...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I had been considering "downsizing" our current TV (a 2015 Ford F-250 diesel) until our current trip "out west." I've changed my mind and we are sticking with the diesel 3/4 ton for one simple reason that will mean absolutely nothing to anyone who has not driven a similar vehicle in these conditions: exhaust brake. And I'm sorry, the exhaust brake on a gas model vehicle is not anywhere near the same. If you never have to go down a 10% grade for 10 miles, a gas powered vehicle will be just fine, otherwise, get the diesel.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't have to deal with DEF for my gas engine. Diesel stinks and DEF is very corrosive.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I don't have to deal with DEF for my gas engine. Diesel stinks and DEF is very corrosive.
And gasoline smells wonderful and is environmentally friendly? I try not to spill or inhale any type of fuel or additive.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Prefer my Diesel....just a bit harder to "fix"... Should the opportunity arise...

On a recent trip, several dealers had ONLY one "diesel tech"... And more work than they could handle....good for them.

The new vehicles have same issues as Model T, with a whole load of geek and double "load" of governmental "assistance" ...obviously intended to "help".

So, turns out the vehicles are harder to "service"...and few are allowed the time or have the talent to properly diagnose and repair while under warranty. In my opinion, That is why you have a "service advisor"....so you do not get to ask the mechanic (tech), questions. It is very efficient and profitable to operate like that...

I bought two DMs at about the same time in about 05.

Both ran well out of the gate, great pulling trucks.

One started running poorly at about 15K.

Multiple trips to the dealer never got the problem fixed. Pretty soon there was no more warrantee, and it ended up blowing a piston at about 70K.

The other one has been relatively trouble free to about 170k only needing head gaskets, a turbo, and a FICM.

Both of these were used as work trucks towing daily. (I drove the good one as my daily driver for the first couple of years before putting it to work)

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I like the diesel, going up hill pullin at 1500 rpm, down hill with the exhaust brake, it is relaxing just like driving my kenworth , 12.5 mpg loaded , 98000 miles and no problems....
Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Here is my opinion, modern Power Strokes and modern DuraMax engines will NOT last four or five hundred thousand miles, no matter how well they are taken care of, (maybe excluding a few RARE statistical outliers)

The Cummins might, if modern emissions have not extracted too much reliability.

Brevi tempore!

Old 12-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHammy View Post
Gas vs diesel? Anyone tow with a Gmc 2500 gas or diesel and how do you like it?
This year old article comparing the GM gas vs. diesel is an interesting read...it's comparing Chevy but basically the same truck as GMC. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax and 2500HD Vortec - Gas vs. Diesel
Old 01-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Gas vs diesel? GMC 2500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Here is my opinion, modern Power Strokes and modern DuraMax engines will NOT last four or five hundred thousand miles, no matter how well they are taken care of, (maybe excluding a few RARE statistical outliers)

The Cummins might, if modern emissions have not extracted too much reliability.

Brevi tempore!

Cummins is 385k, the other two are 225k on the B50 lifespan rating. Ford may say differently, but given the CP4 problems (and other) the "mighty" Chihuahua motor has years, maybe a decade, to go before its in any way proven.

Big trucks are even more irritating. The PACCAR motor is a nice driver, but a nightmare if diagnosis not simple. The other brands all have problems, but not as bad. That said, stuck at a dealer for several days is no picnic given the truck is producing no income. I've heard from too many hands about fixes that weren't.

The days of diesel economy and long life for an Airstream towing pickup ended circa 2007.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Gas vs diesel? GMC 2500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Cummins is 385k, the other two are 225k on the B50 lifespan rating. Ford may say differently, but given the CP4 problems (and other) the "mighty" Chihuahua motor has years, maybe a decade, to go before its in any way proven.

Big trucks are even more irritating. The PACCAR motor is a nice driver, but a nightmare if diagnosis not simple. The other brands all have problems, but not as bad. That said, stuck at a dealer for several days is no picnic given the truck is producing no income. I've heard from too many hands about fixes that weren't.

The days of diesel economy and long life for an Airstream towing pickup ended circa 2007.

One thing I HAVE noticed,,,,, the ever more complex big truck engines have been very very good for the towing industry...

JustSayin...

Oh, on the 2007 thing, I couldn't agree with you more.

The true "golden age" of American diesels has come and gone.

Brevi tempore!

Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Gosh, you're scarring me with all them horror stories about the diesel engines, my 07 dodge with 6.7 has 96000 miles and never been in the shop for an engine or transmission problem.I do not let it idle and very little town driving in other words it is not used as a grocery getter, in a couple years I will buy another diesel as I like the power and torque..and the exhaust brake.. I have a friend with a duramax a with 200000 miles and he can turn a 12 second 1/4 mile , now that is cooking...
Old 01-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
tjdonahoe - the disconcerting idea about diesels is the high price to fix the emissions or injection systems on a diesel pickup truck.
My truck was bitten by the emission bug which cost me a new turbo and I happen to find a used dpf filter to fix it more reasonable but it still cost me a couple of thousand to have it done. Like you I am careful how the truck is used and it shouldn't have to be this way.
I don't like the fact that as a consumer we are getting more boxed into using the dealership ONLY to get repairs completed due to the proprietary equipment and knowledge to fix a vehicle (both gas and diesel). It can be tough to find a reputable repair shop with such knowledge and computer equipment to properly fix and diagnose a modern vehicle. Now the latest issue seems to be that some dealers only keep one diesel technician on staff and their workload can be backed up for quite sometime.
I shutter when I hear about folks who have their entire high pressure injection system replaced due to some water contamination for $10k.....
Two years ago a local dealership here had several exhaust systems stolen from their new trucks. The paper said on average it would cost $7000 to replace the exhaust components.
Also of note are the problems with direct gas injection motors with carbon laden intake systems.....
More complex technology = more expensive, hard to fix problems.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote