Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
OK..... i am gonna pull my hair out ! i cant find a decent dodge dealership that has a truck guy that knows what hes talking about.
DOES ANYONE HAVE THE NAME OF A GUY AT ANY DODGE DEALERSHIP THAT I CAN CALL?

PLEASE ..... tell me where to find him. LOL

thanks
AnnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Online resources

A good online resource for Ford Diesels is http://www.thedieselstop.com/.
Its centered on Fords, the old name was www.ford-diesel.com untill a certian piece of litigation initated the name change.

In there you'll find loads of information on what people like about the trucks and what they hate about them.
I dont know of any for Chevy or Dodge (because I havent owned/fixed them yet), but I'm sure theres comperable sights for each brand.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvophile View Post
A good online resource for Ford Diesels is http://www.thedieselstop.com/.
Its centered on Fords, the old name was www.ford-diesel.com untill a certian piece of litigation initated the name change.

In there you'll find loads of information on what people like about the trucks and what they hate about them.
I dont know of any for Chevy or Dodge (because I havent owned/fixed them yet), but I'm sure theres comperable sights for each brand.
Hi...thanks alot i will check them out. maybe i will post this dodge truck request as another thread.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #64
_

. , .
SELECT/buy the trailer FIRST, sort out (finalize) the tv 2nd.

UNLESS u plan to buy a modern 3/4 ton or larger truck, which can handle everything a/s makes.

i see lots of gyrations here about 200,000 miles or 500,000 mile reliability.

that doesn't seem especially relevant, YET and perhaps not at all UNLESS buying a high mileage USED truck.

and IF there is something SPECIFIC about any of the TV brands/models/sizes relative to towing...

'dealer/sales' people won't be nearly as useful as the crowd HERE.

so for SPECIFIC truck issues (details) just post the question.

but solve the trailer size/weight/era problem first.

year end incentives/discounts on trucks are nice but select the wrong one and the savings vanish.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Annie,

You might find the info you are looking for here:

Dodge Ram Truck Forums and Club - Powered by vBulletin
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
IMO, most dealer salesmen don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. I'd recommend figuring out what you want, doing your homework on the truck you decide to determine best model years, upgrades, options etc and then going to the dealer and tell them what you want or just search the internet until you find the truck you want, then go buy it.

Since you don't want extended or crew cabs, and most folks do, you will likely find good deals on regular cab pre-owned trucks, or even new trucks for that matter.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
SELECT/buy the trailer FIRST, sort out (finalize) the tv 2nd.

UNLESS u plan to buy a modern 3/4 ton or larger truck, which can handle everything a/s makes.

i see lots of gyrations here about 200,000 miles or 500,000 mile reliability.

that doesn't seem especially relevant, YET and perhaps not at all UNLESS buying a high mileage USED truck.

and IF there is something SPECIFIC about any of the TV brands/models/sizes relative to towing...

'dealer/sales' people won't be nearly as useful as the crowd HERE.

but solve the trailer size/weight/era problem first.

year end incentives/discounts on trucks are nice but select the wrong one and the savings vanish.

cheers
2air'
what i am trying to do here is just collect information so i can make a decision about what to buy. i am not buying the TV first. i will get the
AS first but i want to know certain things.

i have a general idea now what i would like in a trailer and the weight should be under 8K pounds. i am not going for a big one so anything modern in the 25ft to 28ft range should be alot lighter than the bigger ones i was thinking about.

right now i am looking for information only.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #68
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
what i am trying to do here is just collect information so i can make a decision about what to buy...

i have a general idea now what i would like in a trailer and the weight should be under 8K pounds. i am not going for a big one so anything modern in the 25ft to 28ft range...
IF 25 is max size any modern 1/2 ton gas truck will match up nicely...

problem solved.

but 28 (27s are longer than 28s) is the 3/4 ton zone...

yes there are folks towing modern 28s or larger, with 1/2 trucks, but some of these folks LEASE and trade often...

which avoids the 'wear' issue on the 1/2 tons with bigger trailers.

the towing spec's for ALL modern 1/2 tons suggest capability up to 10k, but details often bring this figure DOWN.

while regular cab size IMPROVES the payload the shorter wheelbase then becomes an issue.

the new 150s have BIG mirrors and a INTEGRATED brake controller both good things to have for towing.

and NOT included on the other modern 1/2 ton'rs.

Quote:

but solve the trailer size/weight/era problem first...
there are lots of examples HERE of folks being ABSOLUTELY SURE the 25 is their size...

only to figure out a 27 or 28 is REALLY what they wanted.

typically this is followed by the 'now i need a tiny bit bigger tv too' realization.

this scenario is SO common it's got a name.

keep collecting info, it's the only properly priced offering here.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
IF 25 is max size any modern 1/2 ton gas truck will match up nicely...

problem solved.

but 28 (27s are longer than 28s) is the 3/4 ton zone...

yes there are folks towing modern 28s or larger, with 1/2 trucks, but some of these folks LEASE and trade often...

which avoids the 'wear' issue on the 1/2 tons with bigger trailers.

the towing spec's for ALL modern 1/2 tons suggest capability up to 10k, but details often bring this figure DOWN.

while regular cab size IMPROVES the payload the shorter wheelbase then becomes an issue.

the new 150s have BIG mirrors and a INTEGRATED brake controller both good things to have for towing.

and NOT included on the other modern 1/2 ton'rs.

there are lots of examples HERE of folks being ABSOLUTELY SURE the 25 is their size...

only to figure out a 27 or 28 is REALLY what they wanted.

typically this is followed by the 'now i need a tiny bit bigger tv too' realization.

this scenario is SO common it's got a name.

keep collecting info, it's the only properly priced offering here.

cheers
2air'

i just got off the phone with a dodge truck guy from a dealership that REALLY sells ALOT of trucks and FINALLY i have most of my questions answered in terms of price and such.

so now i have a good idea about what i will need to spend for what i want....depending on what i buy.

am not interested in a shorter wheelbase. only 145'' with a regular cab is what i am looking at.
i wont be buying anything till i get the AS..... for now just collecting information.
thanks for your input.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
Hi All, new to the forums and to the Airstream experience.

Annie,
I just went through a similar experience. Getting an AS and a matching TV in a single swoop. I end up getting a 2005 30' Safari with the bunk beds layout.
Initially I was going to get a gas pickup truck, a Toyota Tundra for the job.
When I added:
- Passengers weight
- Cargo weight (in the truck bed)
- AS Tongue weight

The total was uncomfortably close to the truck Payload Capacity. It looks like all 1500 type/series trucks are around the 1600~1900lbs.
This send me into the 2500 territory. Once there the Gas vs. Diesel question came into play. Form my experience, it seems that in the 2500s, the available inventory was predominately Diesel. Through my research, I end up with a bias towards GMC due to the Allison Transmission.
Plus, during the month that I was shopping around, GM heavily discounted their new trucks...up to 8K.
I end up buying form this dealership in Idaho:
Dave Smith Motors - Kellogg, Idaho - 1-800-635-8000 - New or Used - Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram, Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Pontiac, Cadillac.

The local dealerships (Texas) couldn't (or wouldn't) match these guys prices. Not even adding the delivery charge.
I told them that I wanted this truck for towing. They added a brake controller (Prodigy), and the factory towing mirrors.

Hope this helps.

Adolfo Isassi
Flickr: adolfo_isassi's Photostream
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-travel View Post

Annie,
I just went through a similar experience. Getting an AS and a matching TV in a single swoop. I end up getting a 2005 30' Safari with the bunk beds layout.
When I added:
- Passengers weight
- AS Tongue weight

The total was uncomfortably close to the truck Payload Capacity. It looks like all 1500 type/series trucks are around the 1600~1900lbs.
This send me into the 2500 territory. Once there the Gas vs. Diesel question came into play. Form my experience, it seems that in the 2500s, the available inventory was predominately Diesel. Through my research, I end up with a bias towards GMC due to the Allison Transmission.
Plus, during the month that I was shopping around, GM heavily discounted their new trucks...up to 8K.
Dave Smith Motors - Kellogg, Idaho - 1-800-635-8000 - New or Used - Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ram, Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Pontiac, Cadillac.

The local dealerships (Texas) couldn't (or wouldn't) match these guys prices. Not even adding the delivery charge.
I told them that I wanted this truck for towing. They added a brake controller (Prodigy), and the factory towing mirrors.

Hope this helps.

Adolfo Isassi
thank Photo..... funny you posted this because GMC was the next thing i was going check out because of the allison tranmission. thanks for the name of the dealership i will go see what they got.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #72
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Confession

We bought the truck first.

We pretty much knew what trailer were going to buy, we knew the truck we had wouldn't tow it, and we wanted the most reliable truck we could find, and decided to get the Toyota Tundra and then pick the right Airstream to match with it and with us.

There are no absolute rules.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #73
_

. , .
first threads are fun to review....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...There are no absolute rules.
r u sure?

is that an absolute?

maybe it's only an 80% rule?

Quote:
...We pretty much knew what trailer were going to buy...

...we wanted the most reliable truck we could find,

...then pick the right Airstream to match with it and with us.
as i recall from your earliest posting there was NEVER any doubt u'd get a yota'...

and u were absolutely sure about the trailer too....

it went something like this...

truck...

Quote:
...We have a 2002 Tundra with the V8...I'm not buying a new truck for towing...
14 days later...

Quote:
We had to go to the local Toyota dealer for an alignment today and those new Tundras are very tempting... Barb and I are weak when it comes to new trucks...
followed shortly by...

Quote:
...our weakness for new motor vehicles, we made a deal on an '07 Tundra...

...I tried to talk myself into keeping the old Tundra, but couldn't.
trayla...

Quote:
We are interested in the International CCD because the 22' looked closer to what we were looking for (and those wrap around windows look great)...
followed soon by....

Quote:
...maybe the Safari 23 makes sense—we will be driving ourselves crazy over this for some time to come.
Quote:
... I'm wondering where there would be information on every Airstream made in the past 15 years with lots of detail to make comparisons between years...
if only this existed....

Quote:
...No more International 22', but some nice International and Safari SE 23's. I'd rather not buy new because they depreciate so fast...
then some reality LEADS to clarity...

Quote:
...The 25' FB has everything we're looking for.

Our '02 Tundra has a combined weight rating of 11,800 lbs and a curb weight of 4,664, 4,824 with gas and more with humans (it would've been 5,100 in 1986, bigger people now). Add 100 lbs. in the truck for supplies and added human weight gain since we met, Tundra now 5,200. That leaves 6,600 lbs. before we reach the Tundra's combined weight limit. The International FB 25's empty are 5,410, Safari's 5,210. Since the Safari's probably are the same with options as the Internationals, that leaves 1,190 for cargo, propane and water. Propane and water are 544, leaving 646 lbs for cargo. We weighed some things, guessed on others, adding together food, clothes, tools, shoes, cleaning supplies, paper products, linens, a couple of director's chairs and outside table, vacuum, books, maps, hose, extension cord, plates, utensils, flashlight, towels, camera, laptop, etc., 437 lbs. That leaves 229 lbs. for hitch assembly, sway bar and forgotten things that want to come along.

Will I be going up Vail Pass at 25 mph?

This is fun.
and AFTER the NEW truck purchase...

Quote:
GCVWR for this truck is 16K and it can tow 10,300 #....

...Since I'm thinking of a 25' FB, I can be well within those limits, but payload is the weak link and probably makes the difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton. Maybe this is a 5/8 ton....
Quote:
...Now I can start getting more serious about a trailer without making myself crazy about weights. For us a 25' seems a good balance

A good deal on a 27' is not out of the question though...
and the summary in yer wurdz...

Quote:
And, like Pilgrim we started with one thought, a shorter one, the 22' CCD, and ended up with a bigger one— Safari SE 25' FB. We had to buy it before we went even longer....

and the entire thread/process is here, it could be useful to others

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f395...tml#post448301

so gene it's interesting how history gets fuzzy after just 2 years...

not that it matters, but my sequence was...

1. order the trailer
2. order the truck
3. truck arrived in 5 weeks, pay for it.
4. trailer arrived in 12 weeks, pay for it.

so technically the truck was purchased 1st, but only AFTER solving the trailer question.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #74
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
2air, glad to see you are keeping a compendium of my writings just so you can play gotcha.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #75
_

. , .

no gotchaz.

but the process of finding the sweet spot for many/lots/most of us...

is seldom clean or without the occasional detour or mulligan.

and lots of folks end up with what they have by happenstance...

then rationalize the outcome later...

the roads to perfection are many.

cheers
2air'

Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
FWIW, I bought my truck 6 months before I bought my trailer. I hadn't even planned on an airstream at that time, I just knew it was time to get a "real man's" truck--something that would pull pretty much anything I'd ever need to tow and be pretty comfortable to boot. I'd always liked the '99 and later Powerstroke equipped SuperDutys and after a bit of research, it was clear to me the 7.3L 'Stroke was the only way to go if I did't want to have any issues.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Red face

Annie;
Love my used 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. Bought it with 108K miles for 1/3 of what it cost new. Great power, especially for towing in the mountains like you'll face in the West. Noisy, relatively, with the custom exhaust. Yes to 15mpg towing and 23 around town. Gets as good gas mileage as our Lexus LS430 without towing.

Also consider AS past 1988--they went to 108" then, and past 1994 if you've got someone tall going along--They got taller in '94. You can still get an excellent AS in those date ranges.

Lots of wise counsel in the postings above. I know you'll really enjoy the experience!
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #78
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Annie, I think you should consider an extended cab, for two reasons. 1. it adds wheelbase without needing to resort to the butt ugly 8ft long beds and 2. it gives you more room to store stuff in the cab. I've had regular cabs and extended cabs and would never, ever go back to a regular cab pickup.
My cats appreciate the extended cab. More room for them.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
My cats appreciate the extended cab. More room for them.
Yes, and resale is another issue....you can hardly give away a standard cab pickup these days.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #80
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-travel View Post

Annie,
When I added:
- Passengers weight
- AS Tongue weight

Hope this helps.

Adolfo Isassi

Funny you should mention Dave Smith Motors. I bought our 07 Chevy, Old School from them. The last of the old styles. I was pretty happy with them. The one glitch was the hitch. They didnt have on in stock and but a few hundred more, I could have the double Hitch Heavy Duty Thingy. I said no thanks, they said: No problem, no extra charge. They are pretty good and the price was lower than anywhere else. We also bought the TV first. How else would be get the AS home?

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote