Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

i have moved north to VIRGINIA CITY , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
i'm jealous
flmgrip..... no reason to be jealous LOL. i think i wound up this way because of things i DIDNT want in life.

it works for me. i think the only thing missing is actually being mobile and an AS will solve that problem.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Tough Call

Ive owned 2 F250 HD supercab longbeds, one a 460 gasser and my current one, a '97 with the Powerstroke diesel. I can say without a doubt the diesel gets better mileage on the highway (20 alone, 15 trailering) Vs the 460 wich got an even 11MPG on the highway, 7 in the city wether it was loaded or not. Granted the 460 was a 1978, carbeurated, with 36" mudders, but enough with the apples to oranges comparisons

I got the diesel solely to tow heavy stuff for long distances, which they do very well. Particularly in the mountains where the grades are steep and the air is thin, that turbo just keeps jamming more air in.

I love my diesel and have been lucky enough to fix whatever has broken on it myself over the last 9 years. As a 4X4 Diesel, its held it's value unlike any other vehicle. Ive been able to refinance it twice to get cash out. Once for the camper shell and once for our Avion trailer. Since paying off the loan, its value has held steady at around $7-9k at the low end.
They are a high-mileage engine. Navistar estimates that 90% of the T440e engines (The engine that Ford called the Powerstroke in the 90s) will see 300K miles before they need to pull the heads or drop the pan for maintanance. However the stuff OUTSIDE the block is expensive, and the rest of the truck may or may not disentigrate around the engine before that time.

That being said, the downside of a heavy diesel truck is they make lousy daily drivers.
They like to run for a long time and are cranky for the first 15 or so minutes after starting up, which is a bummer if your errands are less than 20 minutes away. Drive-throughs are a pain when you have to shut the engine down.
The noise and stink are only amplified when pulling into an otherwise quite campground late at night. Same for pulling out out early in the morning, only then its louder, stinkier, and often accompanied with dense smoke.
(I remember the first -10 degree morning, I fired the beast up in front of my house and the smoke was so dense I couldnt see my neighbor across the street calling the fire department.)
They also dont like to sit for a long time, diesel will start to rot after a few weeks and grow algea.

So if your planning on staying put for a couple of months at a time and only driving a week or so at a time, a gasser that handles the hills might be a better pick for you.

I suppose, if I wher in your shoes, I'd keep my diesel for pulling and cary a midsized motorcycle in the bed for the daily driving.
Thiers also the option of carrying around a still in the bed as well to refine biodiesel from fry greas along the way.

Cheers, and good luck in your travels.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvophile View Post
Ive owned 2 F250 HD supercab longbeds, one a 460 gasser and my current one, a '97 with the Powerstroke diesel. I can say without a doubt the diesel gets better mileage on the highway (20 alone, 15 trailering) Vs the 460 wich got an even 11MPG on the highway, 7 in the city wether it was loaded or not. Granted the 460 was a 1978, carbeurated, with 36" mudders, but enough with the apples to oranges comparisons

I got the diesel solely to tow heavy stuff for long distances, which they do very well. Particularly in the mountains where the grades are steep and the air is thin, that turbo just keeps jamming more air in.

I love my diesel and have been lucky enough to fix whatever has broken on it myself over the last 9 years. As a 4X4 Diesel, its held it's value unlike any other vehicle. Ive been able to refinance it twice to get cash out. Once for the camper shell and once for our Avion trailer. Since paying off the loan, its value has held steady at around $7-9k at the low end.
They are a high-mileage engine. Navistar estimates that 90% of the T440e engines (The engine that Ford called the Powerstroke in the 90s) will see 300K miles before they need to pull the heads or drop the pan for maintanance. However the stuff OUTSIDE the block is expensive, and the rest of the truck may or may not disentigrate around the engine before that time.

That being said, the downside of a heavy diesel truck is they make lousy daily drivers.
They like to run for a long time and are cranky for the first 15 or so minutes after starting up, which is a bummer if your errands are less than 20 minutes away. Drive-throughs are a pain when you have to shut the engine down.
The noise and stink are only amplified when pulling into an otherwise quite campground late at night. Same for pulling out out early in the morning, only then its louder, stinkier, and often accompanied with dense smoke.
(I remember the first -10 degree morning, I fired the beast up in front of my house and the smoke was so dense I couldnt see my neighbor across the street calling the fire department.)
They also dont like to sit for a long time, diesel will start to rot after a few weeks and grow algea.

So if your planning on staying put for a couple of months at a time and only driving a week or so at a time, a gasser that handles the hills might be a better pick for you.

I suppose, if I wher in your shoes, I'd keep my diesel for pulling and cary a midsized motorcycle in the bed for the daily driving.
Thiers also the option of carrying around a still in the bed as well to refine biodiesel from fry greas along the way.

Cheers, and good luck in your travels.
Hey Thanks ! i appreciate your humor.
but seriously all humor aside..... i cant make up my mind. LOL

i would love a diesel but i know what you mean about the noise. i dont mind it at all but i am sure the neighbors would.

there is a new ford diesel engine comming out for 2011. i will have to check that out when it does.
all reports on it so far is that its pretty good.

i dont know what size unit i am going to buy ... i guess that wll determine what kind of TV i get.

like i said.... i do love the dodge cumins diesel but.... dont know what kind of dependability i would get with a dodge ram.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I've heard that that new Ford Scorpion diesel is gonna cost north of $55k, 'course it comes with the truck wrapped around it, but still
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #47
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvophile View Post
True that; ours sat for three months and got algea, as most fishing boats do during a winter layover. The trick is to keep a full tank, change filters and use a fuel additive. Or, keep moving!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

55K ! oh dear! i wont be considering THAT then. LOL. i am only interested in a regular cab....not the extended cab. i drove a ford f-150 from 1980 to 1997 and it was a regular cab. to me.... i like things basic. just the bench seats and crank windows which i dont think i can even get anymore..
Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I used to say the same things—what do I need power windows for? But when that's all you can get, now I can't imagine how people who have to crank their windows can face their friends. How could I live without a temperature readout or power seats? We held out on A/C until 1995, power windows 'til 1999, power seats 'til 1993. Power outside mirrors are great too. Extended cabs are really good for stowing things that neither should go in the truck bed nor the trailer—groceries, things you don't want bouncing around, things you want to get to easily, dogs and friends. Truck beds are for boards, sewer stuff, generators, extra fuel, and dirty stuff in general. Once you go extended you'll never go back.

Gene
Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Too bad your not near central Kentucky. I looked at two Ram diesel trucks over the weekend - both were very clean. 2005 - 15,000 miles for $30, 500 and a 2007 model with 37,000 miles and $32,000. still pricey for a used truck.
For what it's worth - I believe the Dodge trucks were a lot quieter after 2003 when they switched to a common rail injection system. Also for what it's worth the diesel engines after 2007 were larger in displacement and hampered by pollution control devices which in turn has brought the fuel milage down a lot. Our service trucks at work (F550's) only return about 10 mpg on a good day.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
A few general questions:

What "Make" do you prefer?
New or used?
How much $ you willing to spend?

A simple suggestion:

There are plenty of good used trucks
out there, find a good 3/4 ton used one
and use it for a period of time. If you want
something different after that time, then
sell or trade it. There are always "trade-off's"
either way a person goes. Either side, pick a
good one, use it and maintain it.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Annie, I think you should consider an extended cab, for two reasons. 1. it adds wheelbase without needing to resort to the butt ugly 8ft long beds and 2. it gives you more room to store stuff in the cab. I've had regular cabs and extended cabs and would never, ever go back to a regular cab pickup.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #53
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I needed more truck than the 1/2T shortbed I owned a few years. It wouldn't pull, tow or get decent fuel mileage. But it was fine around town despite the mpg, and easy to park, etc.

I went to a 2WD Cummins with manual. Four door, 8-ft bed. Great blend of power and economy for any configuration. But, rides rough, is hard to park.

Maintenance is minimal. Every 6-mos or 6,000 I change oil, oil filter; air filter, fuel filter and wiper blades. Every year change rear axle oil. Every 3-years, all other fluids. I call that durned simple.

I bought mine at 3-years of age with 120k on it. Now have nearly 160k.

As for fuel prices, I compared mine to a man with the same truck that had the gas motor. So long as diesel is no more than 50-cents above gas the fuel cost is a wash (for mainly city plus highway miles). But the diesel will still run strongly past 200k when the gas motor is weakening.

The best used Dodge is the 305-HP/555-TQ motor (2003 and part of 2004); with an auto trans see GOERENDS for a rebuild of the 48RE. Avoid 4wd and owners who have installed a gooseneck hitch.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

guys thanks for your comments. but i absolutley dont want an extended cab. its a visual thing with me. i want a truck that looks like a classic pickup truck.

after much thinking at this point i am considering a 27 or 28 ft. AS and the weight is going to be somewhere around 7600 pounds.
i would like a diesel but i actually think i am going to go with a gasser. the new f-150's with the big engines are rated to tow up to 10,000 pounds. ( this is a different ford guy i spoke with).

they also have a nice rebate going and with my trade in..... i can do pretty well.

anyway.... none of this is cast in stone. i might wake up tomorrow and think i just HAVE to have something else instead. LOL
but at this point.... this is the closest i have come to making some decisions about what i need if i do buy an AS.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Of course you know that after you buy your rig, you will be known as Airstream Anne.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I have been a GM person all my adult life like my father and his father. I purchased an 06 Dodge diesel several years ago and I couldn't be happier. I would get another Dodge in a heart beat. The new Dodge diesel's have already met the EPA standards through 2010 where the others are having to come up to the EPA standards for 2010. The Cummings is a great diesel. Just do a llittle research.

As you are out driving around look and see what trucks are being used for car hauling, and look at those big 5th wheel trailers and see whats up fronts.