Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #21

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Salem , Ohio
The Colorado diesel won the The Fast Lane Truck 2016 Golden hitch award and you should check out their You Tube Videos. My question is MILAGE? How may miles on your present truck. How many miles will you go over the next several years and what will be your towing miles? Towing in mountains? Down sizing may include down sizing your money in your wallet and for what....a smaller and slightly newer truck. I had a Porsche SUV (7.7K towing capacity) and towed a 16 Bambi without any problem. I decided to get a 23D (6K gross) but with 225K miles on the SUV, I bought a Ram 2500 Cummins. Yes, I over bought as I will be towing in mountains, I put lots of miles on and may get the itch for yet another Airstream. However, if I already had a Silverado, I would never go out and buy a smaller truck as safer towing (full size truck) and money in my pocket means more camping time. I would ONLY consider the Colorado if I did not own a truck. I love my diesel in a big tuck, but diesels in small tucks have more to do with fleets milage rules for corporations then value for ordinary drivers,
airstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Gas or Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
I have a 2003 22 ft CCD GVW 5k and thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado and can’t decide between the gas or diesel version. I’ve never owned a diesel and it is an almost $4k premium over the gas but it does have the integrated trailer brake controller, exhaust brake, automatic 4wd system and much better gas mileage. I’m currently towing with a 2014 Silverado and it’s effortless. Downsizing is the goal here, I know my Silverado is overkill even though it's a great truck. I’ve towed with a mid-sized truck before (Frontier) with disastrous results so would like to make the right decision without regrets.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James

If and when our 99 F250 super duty diesel gets replaced it will be a GMC Canyon with a diesel short bed no 4x4. We loved the reviews and towing specs, so we found one to test drive - yep, a winner (and not at all noisy or smokey). The Ford is paid for, only has 170,000 miles on it and no problems - but it is SO HUGE. So maybe if our Colorado mountain home sells, we'll splurge. NOTHING else on the current market, new or used, holds any interest for us.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:34 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Gas.....since 1988,85 JeepGW......95&06 Burb BB.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00062.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	270422  
Old 08-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Just had a friend roll a 23 pulling it with a mid-size truck and a Reese. IMHO, if you have a full size truck, you should stick with it. Longer wheel base, more weight, etc. Sure, lot's of people tow with SUV's and mid-size trucks but I think you already have a better tow vehicle.
Larry
What was the cause of the accident? On the fire dept I saw many trailer wrecks with big 250s and diesel Rams, mostly in dry weather due to aggressive driving.
Not as many involving too small a TV (often those were result of no trailer brakes or farm wagons on smaller pickups).

Had plenty of diesels but I'm handy with repairs. After 200k the injectors, glow plus, etc got pricey. I loved 'em but it's getting harder to find folks who can really work on them. I'm getting too old to work on stuff myself.

I would personally stick with the Silverado gas. Son still has mine, 315,000 miles and counting, tows car haulers all day long, never an issue.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Drive your silverado till the wheels fall off. Use bailing wire to keep the fenders on and muffler from draggin. When the engine dies, then you think about buying a used truck. The markup is crazy. In 2006 I seen a ad in the paper for a new Dodge Ram 1500 short bed for 12,999.99 dollars. I was at that dealership the next morning before they open. Of course the dealer denied the truck was there. I said the paper came out yesterday and I'm here to buy before you open today. I did get that truck..the window sticker was 22k..40% markup? Save your money until you really need one.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Accident

Countryboy,

The cause was uncontrolled sway. The passing truck caused the sway, which was not brought under control, the sway got bigger on each swing and eventually the trailer got sideways and rolled. It was a Reese hitch.
I think several things contributed to the accident and I do believe that a small truck was part of it, but not the entire cause. That is why I posted in this thread to keep the bigger truck.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #27
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Gas.....since 1988,85 JeepGW......95&06 Burb BB.

Bob

Bob,

Your pic taken of my 2005 Dodge Cummins we'd be looking at down to pavement on either side of the block.

First fall outing coming soon but not soon enough.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:33 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Bob,

Your pic taken of my 2005 Dodge Cummins we'd be looking at down to pavement on either side of the block.

First fall outing coming soon but not soon enough.

Gary
Yes..... small but FAT

Bob
Old 09-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #29
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bob,

Ain't throwing rocks, it's how I show folks the uncluttered engine bay of older Cummins. You look down and on each side of the block, good view of pavement. My 1997 Cummins was even less cluttered.

I'm driving a 2000 VW TDI can't say that about that engine bay. Just put on a timing belt and related parts, a bit tight.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
South Bend , Indiana
When I was recently shopping for a new truck there was little difference between a full-size and a midsize truck fuel economy wise. There was also a little difference pricewise so I cannot understand the advantage of going smaller. A full-size truck definitely gives you more stopping power and a lot more mass in an emergency situation such as trying to get you and your trailer stopped.

I would only go diesel if I was planning on spending a lot of time on the road rather than local trips

I really do love the new RAM Cummings diesel engine off so if I had the extra cash laying around I might go that direction.

My 2013 RAM 5.7 hemi with eight speed transmission gets around 24 on the highway and 17 all around. Pulling the camper gets 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Kemblkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Bob,

Ain't throwing rocks, it's how I show folks the uncluttered engine bay of older Cummins. You look down and on each side of the block, good view of pavement. My 1997 Cummins was even less cluttered.

I'm driving a 2000 VW TDI can't say that about that engine bay. Just put on a timing belt and related parts, a bit tight.
IknowIknow....just fun'n 'ya..

Changed plugs on the old 8.1 today, could'a used some of that 'extra' room.

Bob
Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
So far, so good

Well, I went for it and bought the diesel. 1st trip was a pleasure. 18 mpg's while towing! and I'm easily getting 30 on the highway. Not missing my Silverado that much at this point but it was a great truck.

Happy fall. Camping season done for the winter, now the long wait till Spring. wa wa.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3336-1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	275103  
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Congratulations Bluvalley. Great looking rig.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Well, I went for it and bought the diesel. 1st trip was a pleasure. 18 mpg's while towing! and I'm easily getting 30 on the highway. Not missing my Silverado that much at this point but it was a great truck.

Happy fall. Camping season done for the winter, now the long wait till Spring. wa wa.

Congratulations. Nice set up and very reasonable.
Toutsi 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemblkr View Post
When I was recently shopping for a new truck there was little difference between a full-size and a midsize truck fuel economy wise. There was also a little difference pricewise so I cannot understand the advantage of going smaller. A full-size truck definitely gives you more stopping power and a lot more mass in an emergency situation such as trying to get you and your trailer stopped.

I would only go diesel if I was planning on spending a lot of time on the road rather than local trips

I really do love the new RAM Cummings diesel engine off so if I had the extra cash laying around I might go that direction.

My 2013 RAM 5.7 hemi with eight speed transmission gets around 24 on the highway and 17 all around. Pulling the camper gets 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I got the gas engine in my 1 ton and I plan to go to the east coast with it soon. There's always banter between the gas and diesel guys at work. The other day the diesel guys were comparing monthly payments. I said " what's a payment?"

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:21 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Lexington , South Carolina
I have a '16 Canyon diesel and love it, have yet to tow with it but its a great truck.
SCbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My new 2500 ram 4/4 with a 6.7 ,6 speed auto, 3.42 gears now has almost 1000 empty miles on it, it is getting 20.3 mpg..not bad my 07 was getting 16-17 mpg empty...so the new ones are getting better mileage..My 07 had 110,000 trouble free miles. Yes ,there is a lot of stuff under the hood, I don't know what most of it is, I didn't buy it to work on ,as I have a model A ford to tinker with.I do like the power, there is no such thing as too much horsepower or too much money...loving it.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
I have a 2003 22 ft CCD GVW 5k and thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado and can’t decide between the gas or diesel version. I’ve never owned a diesel and it is an almost $4k premium over the gas but it does have the integrated trailer brake controller, exhaust brake, automatic 4wd system and much better gas mileage. I’m currently towing with a 2014 Silverado and it’s effortless. Downsizing is the goal here, I know my Silverado is overkill even though it's a great truck. I’ve towed with a mid-sized truck before (Frontier) with disastrous results so would like to make the right decision without regrets.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James
Your Silverado is still new and the Colorado is not significantly smaller. You will lose a lot of payload and towing capacities. The Colorado will be at its maximum capacity in both areas.
Toutsi 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote