Old 09-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #29
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bob,

Ain't throwing rocks, it's how I show folks the uncluttered engine bay of older Cummins. You look down and on each side of the block, good view of pavement. My 1997 Cummins was even less cluttered.

I'm driving a 2000 VW TDI can't say that about that engine bay. Just put on a timing belt and related parts, a bit tight.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
South Bend , Indiana
When I was recently shopping for a new truck there was little difference between a full-size and a midsize truck fuel economy wise. There was also a little difference pricewise so I cannot understand the advantage of going smaller. A full-size truck definitely gives you more stopping power and a lot more mass in an emergency situation such as trying to get you and your trailer stopped.

I would only go diesel if I was planning on spending a lot of time on the road rather than local trips

I really do love the new RAM Cummings diesel engine off so if I had the extra cash laying around I might go that direction.

My 2013 RAM 5.7 hemi with eight speed transmission gets around 24 on the highway and 17 all around. Pulling the camper gets 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 09-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Bob,

Ain't throwing rocks, it's how I show folks the uncluttered engine bay of older Cummins. You look down and on each side of the block, good view of pavement. My 1997 Cummins was even less cluttered.

I'm driving a 2000 VW TDI can't say that about that engine bay. Just put on a timing belt and related parts, a bit tight.
IknowIknow....just fun'n 'ya..

Changed plugs on the old 8.1 today, could'a used some of that 'extra' room.

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
So far, so good

Well, I went for it and bought the diesel. 1st trip was a pleasure. 18 mpg's while towing! and I'm easily getting 30 on the highway. Not missing my Silverado that much at this point but it was a great truck.

Happy fall. Camping season done for the winter, now the long wait till Spring. wa wa.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3336-1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	275103  
Old 11-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Congratulations Bluvalley. Great looking rig.

George
Old 11-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
Well, I went for it and bought the diesel. 1st trip was a pleasure. 18 mpg's while towing! and I'm easily getting 30 on the highway. Not missing my Silverado that much at this point but it was a great truck.

Happy fall. Camping season done for the winter, now the long wait till Spring. wa wa.

Congratulations. Nice set up and very reasonable.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemblkr View Post
When I was recently shopping for a new truck there was little difference between a full-size and a midsize truck fuel economy wise. There was also a little difference pricewise so I cannot understand the advantage of going smaller. A full-size truck definitely gives you more stopping power and a lot more mass in an emergency situation such as trying to get you and your trailer stopped.

I would only go diesel if I was planning on spending a lot of time on the road rather than local trips

I really do love the new RAM Cummings diesel engine off so if I had the extra cash laying around I might go that direction.

My 2013 RAM 5.7 hemi with eight speed transmission gets around 24 on the highway and 17 all around. Pulling the camper gets 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I got the gas engine in my 1 ton and I plan to go to the east coast with it soon. There's always banter between the gas and diesel guys at work. The other day the diesel guys were comparing monthly payments. I said " what's a payment?"

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:21 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Lexington , South Carolina
I have a '16 Canyon diesel and love it, have yet to tow with it but its a great truck.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My new 2500 ram 4/4 with a 6.7 ,6 speed auto, 3.42 gears now has almost 1000 empty miles on it, it is getting 20.3 mpg..not bad my 07 was getting 16-17 mpg empty...so the new ones are getting better mileage..My 07 had 110,000 trouble free miles. Yes ,there is a lot of stuff under the hood, I don't know what most of it is, I didn't buy it to work on ,as I have a model A ford to tinker with.I do like the power, there is no such thing as too much horsepower or too much money...loving it.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
I have a 2003 22 ft CCD GVW 5k and thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado and canít decide between the gas or diesel version. Iíve never owned a diesel and it is an almost $4k premium over the gas but it does have the integrated trailer brake controller, exhaust brake, automatic 4wd system and much better gas mileage. Iím currently towing with a 2014 Silverado and itís effortless. Downsizing is the goal here, I know my Silverado is overkill even though it's a great truck. Iíve towed with a mid-sized truck before (Frontier) with disastrous results so would like to make the right decision without regrets.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James
Your Silverado is still new and the Colorado is not significantly smaller. You will lose a lot of payload and towing capacities. The Colorado will be at its maximum capacity in both areas.