Old 08-24-2016, 04:38 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I agree with the sentiment not to downsize for the diesel. That said, I'm a fan of diesel. But sticking with diesel means you have either the 3.0 diesel engine in the RAM which is still a bit dicey when it comes to GVWR, or having to move up to ĺ ton where you have 6+ liter diesel engines. Obviously moving up to ĺ ton gives you GVWR in spades, but it's now very pricey for that diesel option and now you're pulling around a ton of weight you don't need even when you're not towing.

The real advantage, if there is one, moving up to ĺ ton is most include huge fuel tanks. I moved up from Ĺ ton gas to ĺ ton diesel which is overkill for my 23D, but I wanted the range and with the trade-in on my GMC and the price on the new ĺ ton Chevy diesel, it was hard to pass up. I'm very pleased and wouldn't think twice about not doing it again. But that's me.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Gasoline engines are equal in durability these days and it's far easier to find a mechanic and fuel than diesel. And they're quieter. And they're easier to operate in really cold weather. And there's no DEF to have to mess with. And the fuel, when you can find diesel, is more expensive than gasoline....so there goes the supposed economy.
Gasoline will be my choice until hydrogen.
I agree with the statement about durability. However, have you been in any of the new diesels? Inside the cabin, you have no idea that you're in a diesel. They are just as quiet these days. Gas prices are a bit higher, but when you average out MPG, you're right in the same ballpark and depending on what engine and weight, you can come out ahead. That said, you pay an enormous premium for the diesel engine and that can be hard to overcome from a price perspective.

Also if somebody is looking at it from a cost perspective, you have to take into account the cost of an oil change. For diesel they are quite a bit more expensive. The only advantage is you go 3x as long before having to perform them.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Chevy Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
I have a 2003 22 ft CCD GVW 5k and thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado and canít decide between the gas or diesel version. Iíve never owned a diesel and it is an almost $4k premium over the gas but it does have the integrated trailer brake controller, exhaust brake, automatic 4wd system and much better gas mileage. Iím currently towing with a 2014 Silverado and itís effortless. Downsizing is the goal here, I know my Silverado is overkill even though it's a great truck. Iíve towed with a mid-sized truck before (Frontier) with disastrous results so would like to make the right decision without regrets.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James
Hello. You have an interesting question and it will be interesting to get comments in the future from people having accumulated a significant mileage with the Colorado Diesel. Your Silverado is still new and it is a very good towing machine. The Colorado has much less capacity and look closely to the dimensions and empty weight the differences are not significant unless you have the longer version of the Silverado. If you downsize you will regret it. Have fun and keep us informed. Regards
Old 08-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Great articles!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08...-for-more.html

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08...e-a-champ.html
Old 08-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I agree with the statement about durability. However, have you been in any of the new diesels? Inside the cabin, you have no idea that you're in a diesel. They are just as quiet these days. Gas prices are a bit higher, but when you average out MPG, you're right in the same ballpark and depending on what engine and weight, you can come out ahead. That said, you pay an enormous premium for the diesel engine and that can be hard to overcome from a price perspective.

Also if somebody is looking at it from a cost perspective, you have to take into account the cost of an oil change. For diesel they are quite a bit more expensive. The only advantage is you go 3x as long before having to perform them.
So we basically agree. It's hard to justify diesel on the basis of economics.

And if you've ever tried to sleep next to a late-arrival in the campsite while a diesel sets up camp in the next campsite, ... or attempt a conversation next to the idling-diesel ...you'll also agree diesels are noisy.

And why... WHY...do diesel owners insist upon long idling periods...? (So they can pretend they're a long-distance-trucker with engine-knocking at the truck-stop?)
Not to mention the youngsters who must deliberately modify their diesels to blackout the sky with SMOKE anytime they mash the accelerator!

OK....I'm OK. Really, I am. really...
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Keep your Silverado. You will always lose money when you trade in.

Also, have to respectfully disagree with Ultradog. New diesels do not stink. They may be even cleaner than the gasser equivalents. Clean diesel, however, has more moving parts, so there is more chance of something breaking.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #21

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Salem , Ohio
The Colorado diesel won the The Fast Lane Truck 2016 Golden hitch award and you should check out their You Tube Videos. My question is MILAGE? How may miles on your present truck. How many miles will you go over the next several years and what will be your towing miles? Towing in mountains? Down sizing may include down sizing your money in your wallet and for what....a smaller and slightly newer truck. I had a Porsche SUV (7.7K towing capacity) and towed a 16 Bambi without any problem. I decided to get a 23D (6K gross) but with 225K miles on the SUV, I bought a Ram 2500 Cummins. Yes, I over bought as I will be towing in mountains, I put lots of miles on and may get the itch for yet another Airstream. However, if I already had a Silverado, I would never go out and buy a smaller truck as safer towing (full size truck) and money in my pocket means more camping time. I would ONLY consider the Colorado if I did not own a truck. I love my diesel in a big tuck, but diesels in small tucks have more to do with fleets milage rules for corporations then value for ordinary drivers,
Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Gas or Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
I have a 2003 22 ft CCD GVW 5k and thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado and canít decide between the gas or diesel version. Iíve never owned a diesel and it is an almost $4k premium over the gas but it does have the integrated trailer brake controller, exhaust brake, automatic 4wd system and much better gas mileage. Iím currently towing with a 2014 Silverado and itís effortless. Downsizing is the goal here, I know my Silverado is overkill even though it's a great truck. Iíve towed with a mid-sized truck before (Frontier) with disastrous results so would like to make the right decision without regrets.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James

If and when our 99 F250 super duty diesel gets replaced it will be a GMC Canyon with a diesel short bed no 4x4. We loved the reviews and towing specs, so we found one to test drive - yep, a winner (and not at all noisy or smokey). The Ford is paid for, only has 170,000 miles on it and no problems - but it is SO HUGE. So maybe if our Colorado mountain home sells, we'll splurge. NOTHING else on the current market, new or used, holds any interest for us.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:34 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Gas.....since 1988,85 JeepGW......95&06 Burb BB.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00062.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	270422  

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity."
Abe Lincolan
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Just had a friend roll a 23 pulling it with a mid-size truck and a Reese. IMHO, if you have a full size truck, you should stick with it. Longer wheel base, more weight, etc. Sure, lot's of people tow with SUV's and mid-size trucks but I think you already have a better tow vehicle.
Larry
What was the cause of the accident? On the fire dept I saw many trailer wrecks with big 250s and diesel Rams, mostly in dry weather due to aggressive driving.
Not as many involving too small a TV (often those were result of no trailer brakes or farm wagons on smaller pickups).

Had plenty of diesels but I'm handy with repairs. After 200k the injectors, glow plus, etc got pricey. I loved 'em but it's getting harder to find folks who can really work on them. I'm getting too old to work on stuff myself.

I would personally stick with the Silverado gas. Son still has mine, 315,000 miles and counting, tows car haulers all day long, never an issue.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Drive your silverado till the wheels fall off. Use bailing wire to keep the fenders on and muffler from draggin. When the engine dies, then you think about buying a used truck. The markup is crazy. In 2006 I seen a ad in the paper for a new Dodge Ram 1500 short bed for 12,999.99 dollars. I was at that dealership the next morning before they open. Of course the dealer denied the truck was there. I said the paper came out yesterday and I'm here to buy before you open today. I did get that truck..the window sticker was 22k..40% markup? Save your money until you really need one.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Accident

Countryboy,

The cause was uncontrolled sway. The passing truck caused the sway, which was not brought under control, the sway got bigger on each swing and eventually the trailer got sideways and rolled. It was a Reese hitch.
I think several things contributed to the accident and I do believe that a small truck was part of it, but not the entire cause. That is why I posted in this thread to keep the bigger truck.
Larry
Old 08-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #27
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Gas.....since 1988,85 JeepGW......95&06 Burb BB.

Bob

Bob,

Your pic taken of my 2005 Dodge Cummins we'd be looking at down to pavement on either side of the block.

First fall outing coming soon but not soon enough.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:33 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Bob,

Your pic taken of my 2005 Dodge Cummins we'd be looking at down to pavement on either side of the block.

First fall outing coming soon but not soon enough.

Gary
Yes..... small but FAT

Bob

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity."
Abe Lincolan
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote