Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I, too, prefer to drive at around 65 mph when towing. Using the 13 mpg for the diesel, the break even point comes at about 81,000 miles. This is still not too unreasonable, considering the other benefits.

I guess that I am just trying to make myself feel better about going diesel as I do not really have any choice considering the load that I need to carry and tow.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
On my earlier post I indicated 15 MPG towing, but let me clarify. It is for constant state 60 MPH towing with light wind on flat terrain. I've been able to repeatedly get that on trips between southern CA and Zion, and southern CA to the San Jose area.

OTOH any trips requiring much elevation gain, winds, traffic, winding mountain roads with braking, etc. I do not achieve the 15 MPG. I have not kept long term records but a gut guess overall towing my Airstream with my F250 diesel is about 13 MPG. I cited the 15 MPG because it is a repeatable figure.. flat roads, light wind 60 mph speed.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Diesel as a fuel is superior due to the energy contained within its volume as compared to its Gasoline sister engines.

In hauling - torque is king - wither it be a 3.0 liter V-6 of a TDI that has more torque than a Gasoline V-8 (and better mileage) or my wonderful new Ford Super Diesel.

Interesting - Ford has taken some of the design cue's from the small diesel's and has applied them to Gasoline engines so to raise their efficiency - better use of any type of fuel is a plus for all - but when it comes down to it - cubic liter to cubic liter - diesel will always be the winner.

Now, if you’re a gas guy - good for you - if you’re a diesel guy - good for you - but why do these threads keep turning into "mine is better than yours" - almost if some folks are attempting to justify their gasoline or diesel choices to themselves (usually the Gas folks it seems) and defend said choice to others...

Odd....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #18
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
I think its a pretty balanced thread where lot of us are contemplating what works best for us.

My F250 diesel has been great. I could no doubt pull it apart and find most of the machined parts measure to new specifications. Where I anticipate problems is electrical, rubber parts, accessories. My primary goal is not to be left on the side of the road. This truck has 120K miles of commuting and towing.

My next tow vehicle will be used exclusively for towing. It may see 50,000-70,000 miles over the next ten years. Most likely again, it will need replacement not due to wear on the engine machined parts, but breakdown of electrical parts and soft/rubber.

I'm still debating it, but to me a new gas engine may work in this situation, pulling a 25' Safari.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I'm still debating it, but to me a new gas engine may work in this situation, pulling a 25' Safari.

How about a Ford V-6 with the "Hybrid Technology" as I like to say - or in Ford speak "Eco-Boost"...

For your 25 footer & F-150 or 1500 combo - that could be a great choice!

Of course - if they came out with a nice V-6 diesel (like my wonderful TDI) I would be all over that...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I think every one will agree a diesel is the best TV hands down. But is it practical for everyone? What if its also your daily driver and you tow less than 10,000 miles a year. In our case we use an F150, sure it runs out of steam on some hills but it does a great job and yes I would love to have a diesel. There is good and bad points for each.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
How about a Ford V-6 with the "Hybrid Technology" as I like to say - or in Ford speak "Eco-Boost"...
Thats exactly what I'm looking at. Maybe give it a year to get the kinks out of it. There's one locally with the Max tow package, am going to check it out.

I don't think any potential wear limitations on the small V6 would be a problem for me because of the anticipated low mileage even at 10 years. Love the fact the torque is ample and available at low RPM. Want to find out how well the turbocharger compensates for altitude on the eco boost.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Thats exactly what I'm looking at. Maybe give it a year to get the kinks out of it. There's one locally with the Max tow package, am going to check it out.

I don't think any potential wear limitations on the small V6 would be a problem for me because of the anticipated low mileage even at 10 years. Love the fact the torque is ample and available at low RPM. Want to find out how well the turbocharger compensates for altitude on the eco boost.
Don't expect the ecoboost to last very long, especially towing in the mountains. The batteries will run out of charge and you will be left with just the gas engine for the remainder of the hill or mountain. My prius does great if the hills are short like those here in Alabama. I drove a rental prius out west and on those longer uphill grades I was left with just the gas engine for the latter part of the hills!
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Abundant thanks to all of you for the informative dialog. We, too, need a new TV. The 2010 Dodge 2500 HD 6.7l diesel I test drove today rode rough but quiet. The dealer tells us the 2010 is much quieter than 2009 and earlier. Does anyone have experience to bear this out? I ask because I'd like to buy "used" rather than "new" for the cash I have.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_ee View Post
Don't expect the ecoboost to last very long, especially towing in the mountains. The batteries will run out of charge...
My friend - the "EcoBoost" technology is all engine - no batteries invloved...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Ya wouldn't get too far on that one 12v starting battery either! Ecoboost is a Direct-injection, turbocharged, V6 engine, not a hybrid gas/battery power plant.

What the Inside of a Tortured Ford EcoBoost V-6 Looks Like - PickupTrucks.com News
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Want to find out how well the turbocharger compensates for altitude on the eco boost.
The beauty of modern turbo diesel & gasoline "truck\auto" engines - the boost makes up for the lack of air at altitiude - in essence keeping you at "sea level" as well as usually providing some extra "grunt & run".

For us pilots who fly the "gas\diesel piston" engined aircraft - the turbos usually are installed just for that one purpose - to keep horsepower and torque constant - but from sea level up to rated altitude....
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The Ford Ecoboost is not a hybrid, but a turbo charged V6 gasoline rig.

About the mileage I quoted....folks this is an average that was computed the longhand way using real numbers, over the long haul, and not using the DIC funny numbers.

Last summer we took a trip to Alaska and back, of almost 15,000 miles. I kept every gas receipt, wrote the miles driven on that tank on the receipt, and at the end of the trip added all the fuel used, and all the miles driven, and then divided the gallons of fuel used into the miles driven, and I averaged over the entire 15K miles, 12.4 MPG, and that was towing the 25' Airstream we then owned.

Did we have some tanks with better mileage? Sure, but we obviously had others not as good also. When I hear these 15-18 MPG quotes for Diesels towing, I immediately know they are snap shots of best case conditions.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
My friend - the "EcoBoost" technology is all engine - no batteries invloved...
I was responding to TPI: "How about a Ford V-6 with the "Hybrid Technology" as I like to say - or in Ford speak "Eco-Boost"...". I assumed when TPI was referring to "Hybrid Technology" it was a typical hybrid vehicle which uses both a gas engine and electric motor. Thanks for the clarification.

07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote