Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It comes down to durability. An F150 or Tundra is going to have less heavy duty components. The F150 has a smaller axel and transmission and lighter duty components in general. The tow ratings are really fantasy to lure buyers. It is all a mine is bigger mentality. Chevy, Ford, and Dodge all play this game with tow ratings and horsepower. There maybe some other forums like Trailer life or something like that what could tell you what long term problems are. Consumer reports I am not a big fan of but sometimes they can provide usefull information. If you are going to tow occasionally like most folks do the a 1/2 tons is ok. If you start stacking up the miles and pulling long grades you are going to start seeing weaknesses with smaller trucks. I am sure there are Toyota forums where you can get some info. It is all about the research. What size axels do all these trucks have compared to each other?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
This is why I am going in circles on trying to nail down what would be best for us. You say the F150 towing is BS on the high side, yet the Excursion payload is BS on the low side and the with the Tundra I am "going to reach my limits".

How do we know what these limits are? Seems it is mostly trial and error by the individual person.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I have gone down the route where I am right at the max when towing and decided this time around it wasn't going to happen. It is not worth the anxiety while driving. We decided on the F250 SD diesel and we are happy with it. The ride is surprisingly good and I have great confidence in it when towing in the mountains. I like the Toyota products but the Ford was the best option for us.
Good luck!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tinmaah, back to your original concern, payload limit. With a weight distribution hitch you are not right up against it because part of the trailer tongue weight (theoretically a third) is transferred to and carried by the trailer axles. The Hensley is a weight distribution hitch. It also eliminates trailer sway which is another concern about shorter wheelbase tow vehicles.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
The Ford f250 seems to be the logical choice. Why drive and worry about weight all the time. Overkill? I think not when full timing. You don't necessarily have to get a diesel. You can get a Ford f250 gasser and have the advantages of the beefed up brakes and suspension...compared to the tundra.
I bought the diesel because of all,of the miles put on. This will,hopefully be my last Ford F250. Gonna have my airstream a long time so a long lasting truck is in order for me.

Good luck in your search.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Don't buy a Triton below 2004...

If you're looking at Ford Excursions, be sure to get a 2004 or newer!

I had a 2001. It had the flawwed head design that blew up on me. Ford would not cover it, even though I purchased an extended powertrain warranty.

They claim to have fixed it in 2003. I wouldn't even consider one prior to '04.

The problem? They only threaded half the depth of the combustion chamber roof so the plugs only had 7 threads. They would loosen up and the pressure would blow the plug out of the head, trashing the coil-on-plug-ignition coil and also wreck the threads. You now have a V-9 which ain't worth much....

The Ex did tow nicely, though not nearly as nicely as my Dodge diesel does. But, it rides a little softer and seats 8.

Get yourself a diesel crewcab and you'll be ready to rock. I love my Ram. I haven't hit a hill yet that I can't accelerate up with my 34 footer loaded to the gills. And I get 21mpg empty with it. Oh, I wouldn't own a truck that wasn't 4x4. But if you want a 2x...you'll get 2-3mpg more.

cheers,
Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
Seriously? Umm thanks for the advice though.
Oh boy, the land of feelings . . where thinking takes the back seat. Get out your hard hat.

Got your attention as intended, but you missed the repetition of the word "respect", the second use of it as a device: I don't in any way respect those who tell me that they themselves are simple in needs or wants. This Conestoga wagon has needs of it's own, and that is to be respected . . . ., as putting the cart before the horse (ends over means) is the backasswards way to go in TV prioritizing for fulltiming.

The size of your trailer has little to do with it. That's only a starting point.

There is nothing simple about a TT or TV. Both are sophisticated machines. So, the usual claptrap about "simplifying my life" by moving to a trailer, short term or long, is always funny. Shelter is a need. Mobile shelter is a desire. A house is the simple choice by comparison to a TT/TV rig. Mistakes have different orders of consequence between them. Better to keep those things clear, thus my earlier post opening asking for more information, better definitions of what is being requested.

"Fulltiming" is not the same as a three week trip. Unless your idea of it is 3-out and 3-at home. That is not a commonly understood definition of full-timing (3-months out at a time comes closer). Quite a few full-timers have no "home base" beyond some items in storage somewhere.

"Going exploring" can mean: drive to trailhead and hike. Or, antiquing. Or, renting a Jeep to go back country. It has no meaning without explanation.

I can go on with examples about assumptions made in the OP. What you intend to convey, and how others are trying to help needs your input for clarity's sake. I looked over all your other posts before my earlier reply. They do not provide enough, either. A broad sketch was fine. More is now needed.

Do that -- define things -- and you may find what you need. As it is distinct from desire, which is never clear nor has sufficient boundaries to work from.

Try reading a little more deeply when others have dealt with this longer and with the consequences of their decisions in their attempts to answer a vague original post short on actual information. Details like brake size and tow rating misinformation is not to the point and is easily dispensed with; thus the recommendation of qualified reading. A good fit between TT and TV is what we all try for. . . doing it the first time is beyond rare, especially when fulltiming.

Start with that definition, what it means to you.

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It is important not only to check the GVWR of the TV but also the rear axle weight rating along with towing capacity.
I use a 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive long box extended cab pickup to pull our 26' Argosy. The engine is a 360 cubic inch gas. I get 10 to 12 mpg. There are times I wish it had a few more horses but most of the time it does just fine.
If Toyota made a 3/4 ton unit. I would buy it in a second. If my trailer was 22' or smaller I would buy a Toyota without hesitation.
Of coarse I am a big fan of Toyota. I've owned 2 of them since 1976 and still have the last one I bought. Between the 2 of them I have logged over 1 1/2 million miles. Unfortunately the one I have is not big enough to haul a 26'er.
Good luck in your search and in your travels.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Tinmaah, back to your original concern, payload limit. With a weight distribution hitch you are not right up against it because part of the trailer tongue weight (theoretically a third) is transferred to and carried by the trailer axles. The Hensley is a weight distribution hitch. It also eliminates trailer sway which is another concern about shorter wheelbase tow vehicles.

doug k
Heh.. I figured the weight of the Hensley itself might offset anything gained by the WD portion. That thing is a beast. I am excited to have it and try it out.
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tin', whenever someone asks about a tow vehicle, watch out because we all have favorites, and strangely enough, the favorite is usually the one we happen to own.

A '99 25' Safari fully loaded weighs 1,000 lbs. less than our 25' Safari. We have had no problem towing it up the high passes in the Rockies with our '07 Tundra (2nd gen.). People repeatedly post on the Forums the Tundra can't do it easily, but they are wrong. It is easy to travel up Vail Pass at 65 or faster, but 55 is better if you don't want to use enormous amounts of fuel. Modern gas engines can handle anything a diesel can. A diesel engine will last a very long time, thought the truck it is in may not, so consider the reliability of the truck.

If you crawl around under the Tundra you will see the kind of driveline components commonly found on 3/4 ton trucks. The exception is the spring pack which is 1/2 ton sized. If you look for a Tundra make sure it has the towing package (especially) and the TRD package (maybe). That will give you all the options you need for towing.

As previously stated, about 1/3 of the weight from the tongue will be transferred back to the trailer axles, so you will have a bit more cargo weight. However, tongue wt. is frequently inaccurate in Airstream info. Add in the weight of propane and the spare tire if mounted under the front of the tire. And, if you fulltime, you may have to consider a 3/4 ton or more because you will most likely bring more stuff than you think. Aftermarket adaptations to make the Tundra into a 3/4 ton may be possible, but I have no real knowledge of how to do that. We have traveled for as much as 8 weeks with ours, but we weren't bringing everything we owned with us.

You will increase cargo and improve gas mileage with 2WD, but if you get stuck on sand or mud with the trailer, you will won't have quite the ability to pull yourself out.

And, finally, read Rednax's posts very, very carefully because he presents complex ideas in full and they are not easy to understand the first time through. He and I have different opinions on some things, but he challenges conventional wisdom in ways that are good to consider.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have a 2000 V10 Excursion. The plug issue has been beat to death. Plugs blow out because they become loose and strip the threads. There are enough threads in the head (just enough) but if they get loose they will ruin the head. One of the members at ford-trucks.com forums did test where he torqued the short thread plugs to failure and the plug broke and the threads never stripped. The plugs need to be changed every 100k but they need to be checked for tightness once a year. They should also be torqued to 15-20ft-lbs not 10 ft-lbs. There are folks that have gotten 400k out of these engines.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
If you're looking at Ford Excursions, be sure to get a 2004 or newer!

I had a 2001. It had the flawwed head design that blew up on me. Ford would not cover it, even though I purchased an extended powertrain warranty.

They claim to have fixed it in 2003. I wouldn't even consider one prior to '04.

The problem? They only threaded half the depth of the combustion chamber roof so the plugs only had 7 threads. They would loosen up and the pressure would blow the plug out of the head, trashing the coil-on-plug-ignition coil and also wreck the threads. You now have a V-9 which ain't worth much....

The Ex did tow nicely, though not nearly as nicely as my Dodge diesel does. But, it rides a little softer and seats 8.

Get yourself a diesel crewcab and you'll be ready to rock. I love my Ram. I haven't hit a hill yet that I can't accelerate up with my 34 footer loaded to the gills. And I get 21mpg empty with it. Oh, I wouldn't own a truck that wasn't 4x4. But if you want a 2x...you'll get 2-3mpg more.

cheers,
Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
>>If Toyota made a 3/4 ton unit. I would buy it in a second. If my trailer was 22' or smaller I would buy a Toyota without hesitation.
Just FYI, I have a 2009 28' International CCD and I tow with a 2011 Tundra 5.7L w/tow package. It tows like a dream!
Previous owner had the same Tundra, but a 2008.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Intentional Hijack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
>>If Toyota made a 3/4 ton unit. I would buy it in a second. If my trailer was 22' or smaller I would buy a Toyota without hesitation.
Just FYI, I have a 2009 28' International CCD and I tow with a 2011 Tundra 5.7L w/tow package. It tows like a dream!
Previous owner had the same Tundra, but a 2008.
I know, hijacking the thread = bad ju ju But I have to know, before we get back on trucks. How do you like that 2009 28ft International? I am torn between it and the 27ft. But I like the interior layout in the 28 I think...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
I know, hijacking the thread = bad ju ju But I have to know, before we get back on trucks. How do you like that 2009 28ft International? I am torn between it and the 27ft. But I like the interior layout in the 28 I think...
My deciding factor would be.....99% of the time when I have backed in to a campsite it for the view. I love the FB. I like to enjoy the spot. Plus with the bedroom up front I can keep an eye on the tow vehicle. Wouldn't have anything but a FB. I wouldn't like eating or lounging staring at a parking lot.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
>> How do you like that 2009 28ft International?
Well, ours is technically a 27 FB, but the actual length is 28'. We love it!! Started out with a 19' Bambi International and liked the lifestyle so well, we had to get a larger unit. The queen bed is a BIG draw since most of us spend 8 hours a day in bed and it's easy to get in and out of as well as make. Nice shower and bathroom as well as the panoramic windows at both ends. And, for my taste, I love the styling of the CCD. This is the trailer I'll keep as I don't want to go any larger. And, to bring it back to the original thread a little, it actually tows smoother than the Bambi did (maybe due to the dual axles).
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
My deciding factor would be.....99% of the time when I have backed in to a campsite it for the view. I love the FB. I like to enjoy the spot. Plus with the bedroom up front I can keep an eye on the tow vehicle. Wouldn't have anything but a FB. I wouldn't like eating or lounging staring at a parking lot.

Shane
If you were camping in our part of the country with a FB and rear lounge you would spend 99% of your time staring into thick brush and woods. But then who goes camping to sit inside anyway.

doug k
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The whole 1/2 ton vs/ 3/4 ton debate is not really that applicable... the Tundra (latest gen) is twice the truck a 3/4 ton was 10 years ago... Figure out what you need spec-wise, and get the truck you like. I tow with a Sequoia, but buddy has a 1 ton Chev diesel. My warranty costs after 90,000km... $0. Just regular service. His truck has gone through a complete rebuild on the front end... of course, just after the warranty was up.

What you get with a heavier truck you pay for...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #37
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
If you were camping in our part of the country with a FB and rear lounge you would spend 99% of your time staring into thick brush and woods. But then who goes camping to sit inside anyway.

doug k

Exactly!..beats a parking lot view,IMO.

I have camped from Florida to Colorado....best views to be had are in the rear.

Did I actually say that?

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Chevy gets the worst reliability prize every time. I like Toyota and I wish they would make a bigger truck. I am sure they make one for the overseas market.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
The whole 1/2 ton vs/ 3/4 ton debate is not really that applicable... the Tundra (latest gen) is twice the truck a 3/4 ton was 10 years ago... Figure out what you need spec-wise, and get the truck you like. I tow with a Sequoia, but buddy has a 1 ton Chev diesel. My warranty costs after 90,000km... $0. Just regular service. His truck has gone through a complete rebuild on the front end... of course, just after the warranty was up.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No Shane, what I'm saying' is there ain't no view out the rear in our neck of the woods. Better to have the lounge in the front.

doug k
Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #40
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

Well, if we're going anecdotal...

This year I had the first "non-wear-item" work done on my 1996 F250 diesel - a new water pump, and a leaking fuel pressure sensor I replaced myself for $30. After 176K miles, that seemed just fine to me.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote