Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would have prefered an F250/F350 truck with a crew cab and an 8ft bed but they are hard to find used. The Excursion was the most for the least as far as towing ability per dollar. I got lucky and found one that a Honda dealer had gotten in as a trade in and they were just about to wholesale it. They screwed up and put it in Autotrader by mistake.

Perry
Good decision there Perry, I would of done the same. Most for the least as far as towing ability per dollar is sensible thinking.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Interesting discussion. I have been involved not to be a nuisance (although it can look that way), but to broaden the conventional wisdom. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Full timing does not mean you need a bigger truck to haul more stuff. Less stuff means less truck needed. We are out six months at a time and only need two bicycles, a generator, and sewer hose in the bed of our '06 Tundra. All we need. We could go six years as easily.

Others (especially in Canada) are towing their Airstreams successfully with VW Jettas and Honda passenger vans. That's not convention wisdom, but all indications are it works for them.

Timmaah and others in their shoes have some choices to make. Let's present these people with alternatives. So far, so good. Keep 'em coming.

doug k

Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Thanks R Carl, Another thing I like about the Excursion is the 44 gallon gas tank which is even bigger than the pickup trucks. You can go about 400 miles between fill ups but I try not to push it. I have also put a roof trunk on top for extra storage. I have several utility trailers so I was able to get by without a pickup if I wanted to haul something big. Actually, you can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back (doors closed) with the third seat gone and the second row seats folded down.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Good decision there Perry, I would of done the same. Most for the least as far as towing ability per dollar is sensible thinking.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Spent the day researching and pondering gear ratios. The Excursion at CarMax has a 3.73:1 gear, not the 4.30:1. So I think that may be out.

If I am looking at a F250, what type ratios should I look for there. The same? Anything over 4.10:1 ? Is there any engine on the 250 that I should stay away from.. power wise? Do the 6.0L diesels have the same issues as the ones in the 2004-05 Excursions?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
Spent the day researching and pondering gear ratios. The Excursion at CarMax has a 3.73:1 gear, not the 4.30:1. So I think that may be out.

If I am looking at a F250, what type ratios should I look for there. The same? Anything over 4.10:1 ? Is there any engine on the 250 that I should stay away from.. power wise? Do the 6.0L diesels have the same issues as the ones in the 2004-05 Excursions?

Yes, the 6.0L diesels are the same as in the Excursions and have the same issues.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #118
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
the F250 back seat rules!

We own a 2002 Ford F250 gas-powered 4WD crew cab. We are lucky to get 8mpg towing the vintage 21' shoebox SOB while we restore the Argosy, and when we towed the 27' Overlander before we sold it, we only got 10mpg or more. Without a trailer, it still only gets 12mpg. We have had two spark plugs blow, and stupidly paid out of pocket $400 to the local Ford dealer, who gave NO warranty on the helicoil replacement the first time around. On the second disaster we bought the Timesert kit (a year or two ago it was almost $500) and Joe did the repair himself. We were on the way to Virginia Beach for a camping trip the second time and limped home by disconnecting the fuel injector wire to the fuel injector of the cylinder of the blown spark plug to prevent flammable fumes from accumulating under the hood. It was basically a nightmare. We called several Ford dealers the first time around and were greeted with anything from total or feigned ignorance to rudeness. So much for Ford customer service.

But I LOVE our F250. The backseat is bigger as far as I know than ANY other pickup back seat out there, and it is the only back seat that I will voluntarily ride in when the need arises. I have slept in the backseat also without too much discomfort. We took the middle console out and padded and covered the divet in the floor where the console was, and our standard poodle rides between us. We are so used to not having a console now, and the cab is very open and spacious without it. If you have ANY use for a spacious backseat and cab the F250 sans console is the way to go!

Kathy and Joe
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There were some Excursions that had a 5.4L V8 which is a bit under powered. I expect the pickups had the same engine options. I would stick with a bigger V8 or a V10. The 6.0 L diesels had problems with the EGR coolers that caused them to overheat. This was some EPA crap that Ford added to the engine and it caused most of the problems with the 6.0L engine. That engine is relatively trouble free in commercial applications as sold through International (Navistar). If you can find a 6.0L that has not been abused then it might be a good engine if you do the EGR delete. Another problem is the yahoos put chips in them and blow up perfectly good engines trying to pull 10,000lb up a mountain at 80MPH. I would go with 4.10 or 4.30 gears with a V10 or V8 gaser. The Triton engines like to rev.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post

Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
There were some Excursions that had a 5.4L V8 which is a bit under powered. I expect the pickups had the same engine options. I would stick with a bigger V8 or a V10. The 6.0 L diesels had problems with the EGR coolers that caused them to overheat. This was some EPA crap that Ford added to the engine and it caused most of the problems with the 6.0L engine. That engine is relatively trouble free in commercial applications as sold through International (Navistar). If you can find a 6.0L that has not been abused then it might be a good engine if you do the EGR delete. Another problem is the yahoos put chips in them and blow up perfectly good engines trying to pull 10,000lb up a mountain at 80MPH. I would go with 4.10 or 4.30 gears with a V10 or V8 gaser. The Triton engines like to rev.

Perry
It's not the point of this thread, but I do want want to clarify something. The issues with the Ford 6.0L were not, in my opinion, Ford's fault as many say. We have the unfortunate pleasure of having ~25 medium duty Internationals with the VT365 (6.0L) where I work. If you think that powerplant is bad in the Ford offering, you should see the issues we've had in with the Navistar version. They have included all out engine failures, to EGR coolers, turbos, head gaskets, injector failures, and the list goes on and on. I'm not out to defend Ford, but I think they have taken the brunt of something not necessarily their fault.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
EGR coolers were a bad idea for all mfrs. Just too much soot to contend with. For those of you who think DEF is not good....EGR is MUCH WORSE, IMO.
Cummins still uses EGR in light duty, but rumor is they go DEF in 2013 or 14. I have heard rumors that the next gen diesels (like 2015ish) my not need either.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I drove lowe's truck with v10

I do not see what is so special and pulled a huge grade. Low gearing really brings up revs and slows vehicle down. Diesel hands down knocks the crap out of it. I would rather have 3.73 gearing and just go slower on hills. My jeep with diesel has either go or no go as turbo kicks in climbing grades with load is funny it's all go.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Tim

I would not recommend the Ford X as I think there would be much more availability of an F250 truck and just put a cap over the bed. That way you have a place to store the gen and fuel. If you can find a good F250 equiped properly and you like it then I would consider it.

I have an 08 Tundra and I love it. I bought it new and it is well equiped for towing- Double cab, SR5 package, 2wd, 5.7L, floor shift, towing mirrors. I paid 25k for this vehicle brand new out the door. Check the blue book value- depreciation has been minimal.

Brand new design in 07- 6 speed transmission is wonderful. Touch the brake going downhill and it downshifts automatically, but I use the floor shift to downshift manually to control my speed and save my brakes. Transmission cooler and gauge is standard, as is tow/haul feature.

5.7L engine is wonderful- 381 hp, 401 lb-ft of torque-combined with the 6 speed tranny and the 4.3 rear end this is the most powerful gas V8 out there. Engine is only turning 1,600 rpm at 60 mph. Towing fuel economy is 12-14 mpg with 18 mpg solo on the road.

Complete redesign in 07 with latest safety features, electronic LSD (it sucks), vehicle stability control, ABS, side air bags, tire pressure monitoring.

Radio has aux input jack- can play all the tunes on my phone plus hands free phone operation. This is a good safety feature.

Lots of room in the back seat- more so than any other trucks except for the crew cabs. Bed is 6.5 feet long- I carry my Duck 750ss in my bed.

Big brakes.

Rides great, whether towing or solo and it is very quiet.

This is a huge truck, so parking is a problem just like all the other big trucks. However the turning circle is fairly small, maybe smaller than the F250, I really don't know.

Great reliability based on JD Power. Personally, I have only 37k miles on mine and it has only been back to the dealer to replace the radio, under warranty.

The only down side is that it is 1/2 ton. You will probably be at or over the gross weight rating for the rear axle and possibly for the vehicle. With all the plusses this vehicle has going for it I can accept this knowing that I drive mostly on smooth roads and drive gently and I am not in a hurry. This is the compromise with this vehicle and I would accept it.

No need for the TRD option.

Take your time searching for your TV and good luck. Pm me if you have any questions.

Dan
Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Are we talking diesels or gas engines here. Gas engines perform better at high RPM. Diesels like to stay in the 2000-3000RPM range and that is why you find 3.73 axels on diesel trucks. A V10 will develop peak HP in the 4000-5000RPM range so that is why the 4.30 axel is better. A 4.30 axel on a diesel will start to over rev and you start loosing power. Also anything with a turbo is going to have better torque at low RPM.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
I do not see what is so special and pulled a huge grade. Low gearing really brings up revs and slows vehicle down. Diesel hands down knocks the crap out of it. I would rather have 3.73 gearing and just go slower on hills. My jeep with diesel has either go or no go as turbo kicks in climbing grades with load is funny it's all go.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Oh man this is going to be a tough choice.

Looked at a few Tundras this morning as well as a 2008 F250 6.4 Diesel. Our test drive route included dirt roads and interstate.

We liked the Tundra much more. I fit better in the seats and bumpy roads were much more pleasant. I was surprised at how both steered so well and didn't feel like I was driving a big truck. Had to push the brakes on both, but I'm used to a Subaru Impreza.

The Tundra was at the low end of our price range. $21k.. While the F250 was $30k.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
This may help somewhat.
2009 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat vs 2009 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited Comparison - Motor Trend