Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
All of the discussion of pulling a trailer with various vehicles and how great this or that vehicle handles is mostly due to personal choice. The argument of bigger is not always better is a bit confusing to me. I see the pic of the Ford Edge pulling a 30'+ trailer and read how well it does. Also read about a Toyota Sienna as well.
But what happens when things go wrong? Could the Ford or Toyota stop the trailer in an emergency as fast as a 3/4 ton pickup if the brakes on the trailer failed or would not function because the UCord came unplugged? I doubt it. Could either of these vehicles hold back a trailer going down hill if there were no brakes on the trailer. I don't care what kind of hitch you have, if you don't have the ability to stop the rig relatively quickly when something goes wrong you are in trouble.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you can afford to full time, gas prices are not even on the radar. You could take a year to see all the USA and not cover more than 5000 miles unless you were constantly crossing the country and going back and forth. Why would I go from the east coast to the west coast just to see one thing and then go back home. I would jump about once a week and go farther west each jump then do the same with a different route on the way back. My goal would be to spend time seeing cool stuff not seeing who can rack up the most miles in a given time period but that is just me. Motorcyclist have iron butt contest to see who can cover the most miles on a motorcycle in a day. Do Airstreamers have the same mentality but they try to cover the most miles in a year?

Perry

Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #157
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I'm not sure if this was in regards to my comment about full-timing, but there wasn't a lot of crossing the country and going back and forth, and certainly no going from the east coast out to the west coast (actually, we're doing the east coast once it warms up this year). There is no "cover the most miles in a year" mentality, at least not with me.

Also, don't assume that because someone full-times, that gas prices aren't on the radar....again another assumption, as I still work full-time and gas prices are obviously part of our budget. You pay for a mortgage/rent, we pay half that (depends, I guess on your note) in gas.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #158
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road

Thanks everyone that chimed in with advice and their experiences. Obviously we decided on the Tundra. I'm betting that we will be happy with it. I willing to pack light and stay within the numbers and willing to eat my words and deal with the consequences if it was the wrong choice.

The truck needs tires badly, which I'm looking at as a good thing. No brainer to spend the cash on E rated ones. Looking into airbags, sway bar and a cap as well.

Life is about to get a little crazy around here. Month and a half until the house goes on the market. Huge todo list for that, plus we are only halfway through the Airstream make over.

Quote:
You could take a year to see all the USA and not cover more than 5000 miles unless you were constantly crossing the country and going back and forth.
Years ago in my VW Bus, I went 14,000 miles in 4 months. Left coast to right coast and back. I feel like I barely saw a quarter of the US.

Quote:
Few fulltimers move 20,000 miles a year. I don't think your MPG comparisons are apples to apples. Gas does not cost $5 a gallon.
Not that I believe half of what I read, but it has been reported many times over the last few weeks that gas could very well get towards $5 a gallon this summer.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefawn View Post
But I LOVE our F250. The backseat is bigger as far as I know than ANY other pickup back seat out there, and it is the only back seat that I will voluntarily ride in when the need arises. I have slept in the backseat also without too much discomfort. We took the middle console out and padded and covered the divet in the floor where the console was, and our standard poodle rides between us. We are so used to not having a console now, and the cab is very open and spacious without it. If you have ANY use for a spacious backseat and cab the F250 sans console is the way to go!

Kathy and Joe
The Tundra Crew Max and Dodge Mega Cab are vastly huger than the Ford. Ridiculously big...
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Timmaah,

Congratulations and good luck on your adventure! Be sure to visit the weaselmouth website for a neat play by play of full timing since last year. They have links to other full time blogs as well.

Best,
Brad
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #161
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Timmaah,

Congratulations and good luck on your adventure! Be sure to visit the weaselmouth website for a neat play by play of full timing since last year. They have links to other full time blogs as well.

Best,
Brad
Thanks Brad..

My Google Reader account has 30 blogs of mostly younger folks fulltiming in the U.S. (Including Shawn who posted above) They have been great inspiration for the past year. Our blog is just about ready, just need to find time to pt up a few posts.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #162
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Friday is correct. The Tundra Crewmax has a huge 60/40 reclining back seat. Much larger than the Ford model year 2012.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah

Thanks everyone that chimed in with advice and their experiences. Obviously we decided on the Tundra. I'm betting that we will be happy with it. I willing to pack light and stay within the numbers and willing to eat my words and deal with the consequences if it was the wrong choice.

The truck needs tires badly, which I'm looking at as a good thing. No brainer to spend the cash on E rated ones. Looking into airbags, sway bar and a cap as well.

Life is about to get a little crazy around here. Month and a half until the house goes on the market. Huge todo list for that, plus we are only halfway through the Airstream make over.

Years ago in my VW Bus, I went 14,000 miles in 4 months. Left coast to right coast and back. I feel like I barely saw a quarter of the US.

Not that I believe half of what I read, but it has been reported many times over the last few weeks that gas could very well get towards $5 a gallon this summer.
Check out the bed covers from roll-n-lock. I had one on my last truck. It is essentially a vinyl covered aluminum rollup tonneau. It is lockable, protects from weather, and easily rolls up out of the way to allow full access to the bed of the truck for big items like refrigerators and such. I found mine extremely useful.
http://www.rollnlock.com/
Your new truck looks sharp! Ultimately it is what you are towing with it that counts! Aluminum is always the best accessory!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #164
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Congrats

" Thanks everyone that chimed in with advice and their experiences. Obviously we decided on the Tundra. I'm betting that we will be happy with it. ....."

I don't think you could have gone wrong with either choice based on everything in this thread. Enjoy the journey!!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Tim

Congrats on your new Tundra. Hopefully you will not have to eat your words and go to a 3/4 ton and significantly more expensive TV.

I have a Lear Cap. I like the design of the cap, but it does not fit as well as it should, expecially at the rear corner where it sits on the truck. I would look seriously at another brand like ARE (?).

Dan
Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #166
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Let us know how it does on your travels. Congradulations on your new tow vehicle.

Perry
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #167
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My Tundra has been a great TV with around 30K of towing miles (4K in 2012). I have an ARE cap on mine and could not be more pleased with the fit, finish and functionality of the cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	151778  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Hope the Tundra works out as well for you as ours has for us -- 2008, CrewMax, TRD, 5.7L V8, 2WD, 35k miles, with absolutely no problems; have only changed oil and purchased gas (oh, and new tires, recently).