Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Full-timers, buying out of state advice?

Looking at a few 2500's - anyone have any advice on buying out of state for full-timers. We're from Florida, with FL residency, but could be buying a truck anywhere on the west coast. Not sure of the usual procedures outside of a temp tag.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
First, unless they're actually going to do something for you, make sure they're not sneaking a doc fee into the deal. You'll likely be on your own for handling the registration and paperwork.

Does FL have an inspection requirement? If so, you'll probably have to be physically present in FL with the truck before you can get regular plates. You'd need either the Certificate of Origin or title (depending on whether you're buying used or new) and the bill of sale to present to FL with your sales tax and fees and a form or two. Generally you wouldn't owe any sales tax in the state where you buy it if you're registering in another state.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
No inspections in Florida. I always buy late model used. I have full equity in my truck, so I think I'll be using a stealership. I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. But wanted to ask now. The only dumb question is the unasked question.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Coming over to the dark side, eh?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Contact a FL DMV office to see how to transfer your plate to a vehicle purchased out of state. You will have to provide proof of sales tax paid in the state you purchase it and pay more if it is less than FL. Tell any dealer up front what you are doing and as suggested, resist any fees related to processing.

I'm guessing, but I think you will have to:
1. Negotiate a price and pay a deposit to hold the truck while you transfer tag
2. Continue to drive your truck until you get the tag transferred in FL
3. Go to the dealer and finish the deal, transferring the plate.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Just drive it unregistered. Worry about it later.

Kelvin
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We got our 06 8.1 2500 Burb from NC. It was on ebay, didn't sell, offer made & accepted. Emails & phone calls answered my many questions. Contacted the Chevy Store that originally sold it in 2008, more good info gained, it was a GM program vehicle,(exec demo), that was not registered until sold to the original owner with 5k on the clock. We got it with 11k and and the remainder of the 3/36 factory and 72/100000 GMPP.
I was a little apprehensive in the beginning, but with careful planning and asking the right questions, plus getting all the right answers, the transaction went very smoothly.

In NC they issue a temporary transport tag,(I think it was $5 for 30days), I just had to make sure our insurance company had the VIN so it would be covered for the trip home. The seller was a notary so all the paperwork/bill of sale was in order with multiple copies of everything.
Contact your State DMV and make sure you know everything they require for registering.
Take your time, do your homework and remember if it sounds too good to be true........watch out.

Bob
PS....I don't buy new either.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Plant City , Florida
I bought a used silverado in Indiana last October in order to get it registered in Florida the DMV had to physically check the vin # on the truck before I could transfer my my tag to it

Joe
wjcwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Coming over to the dark side, eh?

Al
Well I was looking at a Powerwagon and my mouth began to water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjcwill View Post
I bought a used silverado in Indiana last October in order to get it registered in Florida the DMV had to physically check the vin # on the truck before I could transfer my my tag to it

Joe
You know what, I think they did that when we first moved there from VA.

Well, we will be returning around Christmas probably. Just wondering outloud. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjcwill View Post
You aren't required to bring the vehicle to Florida so the VIN can be verified. From this site:

Florida DHSMV - New Residents

The VIN must be physically inspected by one of the following:
1) A law enforcement officer from any state.
2) A licensed Florida or out of state motor vehicle dealer.
NOTE: If the VIN is verified by an out of state motor vehicle dealer, the verification must be submitted on their letterhead stationery.
3) A Florida DMV Compliance Examiner/Inspector, DMV or tax collector employee.
4) A notary public commissioned by the state of Florida.
5) Provost Marshal (an officer who supervises the military police of a command) or a commissioned officer in active military service, with a rank of 2nd Lieutenant or higher or an LNC, "Legalman, Chief Petty Officer, E-7".

If no dealer is involved, I have no idea how you prove to the DMV that a law enforcement officer verified your VIN.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Plant City , Florida
No dealer was involved with my puchase maybe that's why they told me I had to bring it to the DMV and have officer on duty verify at the vin #

Joe
wjcwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Be sure you don't pay sales tax twice.
Either the state you purchase in "reciprocates" with the licensing state.
There are 3 possible outcomes. I have experienced a couple of them.
Possibility #1- You pay no sales tax and pay sales tax when you register the vehicle- best scenario- I have bought a pickup and my Airstream trailer in this circumstance-
Possibility #2- You pay sales tax to the seller, who then forwards the funds to the state you are registering the vehicle in- second best scenario-
Possibility #3- You pay sales tax to the seller, who does not forward the funds to the state where you are registering the vehicle, and then you have to pay sales tax again when you register the vehicle. I found out the hard way when I bought a Harley in Indiana, paid Indiana sales tax (which the dealer refused to refund) and then paid Mississippi sales tax when I registered the bike- cost me $1,000 in "stoopid tax"-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:35 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
This is probably stating the obvious but get the actual title in hand and check the transfers before you sign - make sure you have appropriate security lien releases attached and that there are no clerical errors on the title and transfer documents. Check that the VIN on the title and attachments match the one on the vehicle. And insist on a CARFAX or vehicle history report and make sure odometer readings make sense with what's on the title odometer statement - and the vehicle. If any of the signatures on the title or attachments were signed using a POA - or a death certificate is involved - make sure the POA is attached and filled out correctly. You don't want to get back to Florida and get hung up on a title transfer requiring previous owner corrections. If the dealer does not have the title or is hesitant in showing it - look elsewhere. If you think there are any issues with how the title is filled out - fax it to your DMV before signing - so you know if the dealer has given you all you need to complete the transfer.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:20 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Bought my '15 Sierra 1500 6.2 used from a dealer in Colorado(a GM program vehicle). Transaction went smooth (cash deal). Dealer gave me bill of sale, odometer statement and 60-day temporary CO plate. He did not charge tax because I signed a statement affirming that I was an out of state purchaser. I drove it to Rapid City SD, titled it there and paid the SD excise tax. No inspections in SD. Then I drove it "home" to DC. Might have been more complicated with a private seller or if financing was involved.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You live in Washington DC area but your vehicles are titled in South Dakota? The District must do things different than states.

Kelvin
Old 07-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
If no dealer is involved, I have no idea how you prove to the DMV that a law enforcement officer verified your VIN.

Get the VIN inspection forum from the Florida DMV and make sure that Florida will accept the form filled in by a sworn officer anywhere in the country. I've bought cars in CA and registered them in CO using this method. One other tip: provide prepaid and pre addressed express mail or FedEx envelopes for the DMV clerks in order to make the transaction clean and easy.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Bought my '15 Sierra 1500 6.2 used from a dealer in Colorado(a GM program vehicle). Transaction went smooth (cash deal). Dealer gave me bill of sale, odometer statement and 60-day temporary CO plate. He did not charge tax because I signed a statement affirming that I was an out of state purchaser. I drove it to Rapid City SD, titled it there and paid the SD excise tax. No inspections in SD. Then I drove it "home" to DC. Might have been more complicated with a private seller or if financing was involved.

That is exactly how it should go-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
May look into that, and may involve a stealership as stated earlier. I have full equity in my truck, it's paid for, title in hand. But being full-time now, it'd be easier to trade in and walk out all in a day.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I just bought a new Ram 3500. We live in Mississippi but have property in New York State. Both have 7% sales tax, but Mississippi taxes personal property, including vehicles (which is why we also registered the AS in NYS). I downloaded the forms online and got all the fee info from my old NYSDMV, and sent it to them Certified Mail. Mississippi does not have temp plates, but also does not require plates - so we drove around for 3 weeks w/o plates. I also got my truck insurance through USAA for New York State (insurance always has to match state of registration), which cost half of what I would've paid in Mississippi. USAA emailed me pdf of insurance cards to print and carry in glove box. I also kept copies of paperwork, just in case I was pulled over (wasn't). When NYS sent plates and registration and title, they also sent a temporary inspection sticker that said it was good for 10 days from date written (it was blank) with the instruction to write in the date that I would first cross into New York the next time I went up there. Both title and registration are New York State, but are issued to my Mississippi address (they are used to snowbirds...). So, no muss, no fuss, and the bright orange plates on truck and AS save me around $2500/yr in taxes and insurance!
Old 07-25-2015, 04:35 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
It is pretty straight forward to register in NYS.....BUT save $$$$$ on taxes, now thats a first.......

I NY

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote