Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Re out of state registration:
South Dakota is unique in that it will title and register a motor vehicle to a non-resident. Since the District of Columbia is very small and I have no plans to ever take my Airstream into DC, there's no chance I'm going to get pinched for not registering the trailer in DC. The truck is another matter, but I minimize use of the truck in DC. I have another vehicle, plated in DC. If I get stopped or in a wreck somewhere, the owner's address on the registration for the truck and trailer matches the residence address on my DC driver's license. So, I don't see any reason the local constabulary 's eyebrows should go up. Likewise, I tell my insurance company (USAA) that the truck is garaged in DC (true) and the trailer is stored in Woodbridge, Virginia (also true). The one-time excise tax payable for motor vehicle registration (a percentage of the price) is 4% in SD versus 8% in DC. With the price of the combination in the 6 figures, that's serious money. Virginia allows local jurisdictions to charge personal property tax on cars, boats and RVs, which can be significant. This is based on where the property is kept, not on where the owner lives. Fortunately, Woodbridge is in a county that does not tax RVs. Maryland doesn't have this, but I couldn't find any decent RV storage.
Also, going back to South Dakota, you don't have to bring the vehicle into the state or even yourself to do this. There are services that do it for you. Since I found the truck I wanted in Colorado, it wasn't a big deal to divert through South Dakota on my way home. And there's no periodic inspection of your vehicle for emissions or anything else, so you can renew by mail.
I would caution anyone living in a state, rather than the "last colony" that the risk of doing this is that you will get nailed for not having registered your out-of-state vehicle within 30 days of bringing it into the state. Since I'm never going to bring the trailer into DC and I can be out of DC in the truck in 15 minutes, I figure my risk is minimal, especially if I don't use the truck as a grocery-getter.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I'm going to look into that DC Bruce, I knew a lot of fulltimers use S. Dakota as a residency state, but I didn't know about the plate thing. That would be extremely useful if we decide to swap trucks at some point.

When we moved to Florida, we kept our VA plates and licenses for nearly a year and half to avoid the high cost of Florida's DMV fees.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I bought from an out of state dealer and they collected sales tax for FL and handled info to transfer the tags. Bought an Airstream in Georgia and they collected the tax but did nothing to transfer the tags. If purchasing from an individual I would pay only the agreed upon price and handle registration myself.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It is pretty straight forward to register in NYS.....BUT save $$$$$ on taxes, now thats a first.......

I NY

Bob

I know - I tried to post quietly so I wouldn't give Andy-Boy any ideas!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I'm going to look into that DC Bruce, I knew a lot of fulltimers use S. Dakota as a residency state, but I didn't know about the plate thing. That would be extremely useful if we decide to swap trucks at some point.

When we moved to Florida, we kept our VA plates and licenses for nearly a year and half to avoid the high cost of Florida's DMV fees.
South Dakota used to be a great residency state for full-time RVers, but ACA (Obamacare) has changed that for pre-Medicare travelers, at least through 2015. Currently, SD offers no exchange health insurance plans with a nationwide network needed by full-timers -- current plans require proof of 6-month residency in SD. Texas and Florida are the best domicile options right now. Of course, this could always change in the future.

More about it here:
Health Insurance & SD Domicile -> Are There Any Options Left For Younger Fulltime RVers?? – Wheeling It
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We have Platinum Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, it's accepted nationwide. So that's not really a concern of mine.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
. You aren't too far from a high volume ram dealer in Idaho .
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote