Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
You live in Washington DC area but your vehicles are titled in South Dakota? The District must do things different than states.

Kelvin

Old 07-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
If no dealer is involved, I have no idea how you prove to the DMV that a law enforcement officer verified your VIN.

Get the VIN inspection forum from the Florida DMV and make sure that Florida will accept the form filled in by a sworn officer anywhere in the country. I've bought cars in CA and registered them in CO using this method. One other tip: provide prepaid and pre addressed express mail or FedEx envelopes for the DMV clerks in order to make the transaction clean and easy.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Bought my '15 Sierra 1500 6.2 used from a dealer in Colorado(a GM program vehicle). Transaction went smooth (cash deal). Dealer gave me bill of sale, odometer statement and 60-day temporary CO plate. He did not charge tax because I signed a statement affirming that I was an out of state purchaser. I drove it to Rapid City SD, titled it there and paid the SD excise tax. No inspections in SD. Then I drove it "home" to DC. Might have been more complicated with a private seller or if financing was involved.

That is exactly how it should go-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
May look into that, and may involve a stealership as stated earlier. I have full equity in my truck, it's paid for, title in hand. But being full-time now, it'd be easier to trade in and walk out all in a day.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
I just bought a new Ram 3500. We live in Mississippi but have property in New York State. Both have 7% sales tax, but Mississippi taxes personal property, including vehicles (which is why we also registered the AS in NYS). I downloaded the forms online and got all the fee info from my old NYSDMV, and sent it to them Certified Mail. Mississippi does not have temp plates, but also does not require plates - so we drove around for 3 weeks w/o plates. I also got my truck insurance through USAA for New York State (insurance always has to match state of registration), which cost half of what I would've paid in Mississippi. USAA emailed me pdf of insurance cards to print and carry in glove box. I also kept copies of paperwork, just in case I was pulled over (wasn't). When NYS sent plates and registration and title, they also sent a temporary inspection sticker that said it was good for 10 days from date written (it was blank) with the instruction to write in the date that I would first cross into New York the next time I went up there. Both title and registration are New York State, but are issued to my Mississippi address (they are used to snowbirds...). So, no muss, no fuss, and the bright orange plates on truck and AS save me around $2500/yr in taxes and insurance!
Old 07-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
It is pretty straight forward to register in NYS.....BUT save $$$$$ on taxes, now thats a first.......

I NY

Bob
Old 07-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Re out of state registration:
South Dakota is unique in that it will title and register a motor vehicle to a non-resident. Since the District of Columbia is very small and I have no plans to ever take my Airstream into DC, there's no chance I'm going to get pinched for not registering the trailer in DC. The truck is another matter, but I minimize use of the truck in DC. I have another vehicle, plated in DC. If I get stopped or in a wreck somewhere, the owner's address on the registration for the truck and trailer matches the residence address on my DC driver's license. So, I don't see any reason the local constabulary 's eyebrows should go up. Likewise, I tell my insurance company (USAA) that the truck is garaged in DC (true) and the trailer is stored in Woodbridge, Virginia (also true). The one-time excise tax payable for motor vehicle registration (a percentage of the price) is 4% in SD versus 8% in DC. With the price of the combination in the 6 figures, that's serious money. Virginia allows local jurisdictions to charge personal property tax on cars, boats and RVs, which can be significant. This is based on where the property is kept, not on where the owner lives. Fortunately, Woodbridge is in a county that does not tax RVs. Maryland doesn't have this, but I couldn't find any decent RV storage.
Also, going back to South Dakota, you don't have to bring the vehicle into the state or even yourself to do this. There are services that do it for you. Since I found the truck I wanted in Colorado, it wasn't a big deal to divert through South Dakota on my way home. And there's no periodic inspection of your vehicle for emissions or anything else, so you can renew by mail.
I would caution anyone living in a state, rather than the "last colony" that the risk of doing this is that you will get nailed for not having registered your out-of-state vehicle within 30 days of bringing it into the state. Since I'm never going to bring the trailer into DC and I can be out of DC in the truck in 15 minutes, I figure my risk is minimal, especially if I don't use the truck as a grocery-getter.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I'm going to look into that DC Bruce, I knew a lot of fulltimers use S. Dakota as a residency state, but I didn't know about the plate thing. That would be extremely useful if we decide to swap trucks at some point.

When we moved to Florida, we kept our VA plates and licenses for nearly a year and half to avoid the high cost of Florida's DMV fees.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I bought from an out of state dealer and they collected sales tax for FL and handled info to transfer the tags. Bought an Airstream in Georgia and they collected the tax but did nothing to transfer the tags. If purchasing from an individual I would pay only the agreed upon price and handle registration myself.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It is pretty straight forward to register in NYS.....BUT save $$$$$ on taxes, now thats a first.......

I NY

Bob

I know - I tried to post quietly so I wouldn't give Andy-Boy any ideas!
Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I'm going to look into that DC Bruce, I knew a lot of fulltimers use S. Dakota as a residency state, but I didn't know about the plate thing. That would be extremely useful if we decide to swap trucks at some point.

When we moved to Florida, we kept our VA plates and licenses for nearly a year and half to avoid the high cost of Florida's DMV fees.
South Dakota used to be a great residency state for full-time RVers, but ACA (Obamacare) has changed that for pre-Medicare travelers, at least through 2015. Currently, SD offers no exchange health insurance plans with a nationwide network needed by full-timers -- current plans require proof of 6-month residency in SD. Texas and Florida are the best domicile options right now. Of course, this could always change in the future.

More about it here:
Health Insurance & SD Domicile -> Are There Any Options Left For Younger Fulltime RVers?? ‚Äď Wheeling It
Old 07-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
We have Platinum Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, it's accepted nationwide. So that's not really a concern of mine.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
. You aren't too far from a high volume ram dealer in Idaho .