Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
fueling up with diesel

This is probably a pretty lame question, but is something that concerns me a bit.

I towed our last (non-AS) trailer with a gas truck. It was a 27ft trailer, and the truck was a 1/2 ton extended cab.

I'm not the best at manouvering trailers, and always had a bit of concern when stopping for gas. Unless I was able to stop at a Flying J or similar, I was always a bit concerned about pulling into a small gas station to be sure that I could exit easily without being blocked in. I would try to assess things as we approached gas stations and often bypass a cheaper station and stop at one where i might have to pay a little more per gallon to ensure ease of access.

Well, now I've switched to a Classic 30 and a crew cab diesel so I'm sure my paranoia about fuelling will notch up a bit further!

Apart from the increased rig length, my concern is that those stations that do sell diesel usually only have one or two pumps so now I am furtyer restricted!

We have yet to tow this new set up, but we are getting ready to hit the road for California next month.

I'm expecting that on the interstates I should be ok with larger truck stops, but just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for me?

I haven't had this diesel truck long enough to know yet, but is there any sort of standardization as to where diesel pumps are located at gas stations?

My local gas station, the only place I have fuelled up yet has the pumps in the outer (most easily accessed) lane, which seems logical.

I am wondering also, are the pump handles generally coloured green (as my local one is)? This would help in trying to pick lanes when approaching the fuel stands with the trailer in tow.

Any tips/advice appreciated to ease my concerns!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Brian;
Welcome to the forums. Sounds like a nice rig you have. I have seen that most smaller stations have their diesel pumps on the outer pumps so it does give you extra room to manuever. I don't have a diesel but with trailer and TV it is about 62' in length. I just have to be a little cautious, especially for the " other drivers" because they don't really realize or care if they box you in or not. Flying J has a diesel lane for RV's that gives you plenty of room. Since my rig is gas (460) I sometimes have to wait for the fueling lanes to clear before I fill because of the length.
Good luck in your trip to Calif.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748

"Life is an adventure, live it to it's fullest."
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Wingeezer,

I think we all understand and/or been in your situation. The key to it is just relax.. The pump handles are all green here in California. Usually always on the end of a pump row and each side of that particular island. When im looking for a diesel station the first thing i look for is easy and gradual driveways. If it looks like im going to drag bottom somewhere then forget it! After i spy that i quickly look into to station to see how busy they are, ie. can i pull in or am i going to be hanging out on the road. I too have a crew cab with a 30 foot airstream. If all this looks good (and it really only takes seconds for you to process all this) I pull in. Most people realize that you have something big and not very manueverable. After I fill up and am ready to go if it seems that i have to back up or go around something my wife will jump out and watch. When other folks see all this going on they tend to sympathize with you and will back up a bit if just pulling in to give you room. The key to it is just relax so that you dont hurry and make a mistake. nobody will rememeber if it took you 20 minutes to refuel but a crowd will gather if you crease the airstream on one of those steel poles. Dont worry.. you will be fine. The fact that your worried about it at all shows that you are careful. Remember that video of that dodge truck and 5ver that hits the top of the fuel station because he wasnt watching his height? He was in too much of a hurry to get in and out and not thinking about all the variables.

Happy New Year and Happy traveling!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
In general do not buy diesel at a GAS STATION unless you know they have a thriving diesel business. Diesel will go stale so you want to go to a station that pumps the inventory through faster than the average gas station.

Use a truck stop to insure you are getting new fuel plus they all have the larger nozzles so you stopping time is cut down.

As a new diesel owner I would suggest you look into using a fuel additive such as Stanadyne Performance Formula. This will put back most of the qualities the government removed and will reduce your chances of collecting water in the fuel filter. I have been using about 1/2 of the recommended amount for the last 12 years or so and have not had a water in fuel indication since.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
At Gas Stations with only one or two diesel pumps they are usually located at the outside island. Some Stations use different colored handles others do not best to read the label.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Talking

Ditto to Vinnie and Howie! I've towed with a Diesel since 1983 and have had very few problems getting in and out. I bought my first diesel car in 1969 (a 1969 Mercedes 220D) so I was practiced in a few practicals, namely:

1) Don't wait until you are desperate to fill up. A little foresight cuts the stress a big bunch.

2) Except for an emergency, buy your fuel from an outlet that sells a lot of the stuff. Yukky stuff can grow in old diesel fuel!

3) Form the habit of buying from the same company. I try for Flying J, but Love's or others will do just as well. I go to their web site and determine where the stations are located along the route I plan to travel. They list addresses and prices so it cuts down on surprises.

4) I stay out of the big truck side of these places unless I have no choice. I don't want to hold up these pro drivers with my rig and I don't like to use the high volume nozzles on the commercial pumps. They are MUCH harder to fill from. Many of these chain truck stops have dedicated RV pumps that are pretty user friendly.

5) There is nothing wrong with pulling into the station parking area and scouting the layout before you commit. What is the old saying?-- An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

6) Keep a pair of gloves handy. When you are handling the nozzle the protection will keep the long-lingering stink from your delicate hands.

You'll do fine. Just get with it and enjoy the journey!

Gene
Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hi
I have to concurr wiff HowiE
I have had at least 45 yrs on the road experience with diesels. Try Very hard to plan your trip around the major truck stops for the purchase of fuel.
1 More room and easier maneuvering
2 Fresher fuel because of the shear volume these places do.
Stay away from 1 & 2 pump MOM and POP stations when ever possible.
The problem is Water.Im not sayin that all mom and pop places have water but its more likely. Fuel filters are expense and so are injectors. Just 1 drop of water thru a Fuel Injector can blow the tip off and become a major repair. I know they never told ya that at the dealer did they?
Please trust me on this one I been there, done that.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yup, pretty much what everyone else said. I've been driving diesels for twenty years with no difficulties ... but you do have to plan ahead, esp. in "smaller" stations when towing. So I try real hard not to stop at those!

In Mich., most diesel pump handles are indeed green. But that's not true everywhere. Some places they are black. Most places, the diesel pumps are either on the end of the line or are on separate islands.

If you hit the high volume places like Flying J, etc. you'll get fresh fuel and big lanes with plenty of turning room. I've never yet had to back out of a station, but that's because as others have said, I am picky about where I stop and I never get so low that I HAVE to stop at any particular station.

Be VERY careful about additives like Stanadyne. I use it in my older diesels and it's great for them, but for your '08, it's not clear to me that it won't help to plug your new particulate filter, and if you do, it's not covered by warranty. And contrary to what someone said, if you wind up having to or wanting to, fill from a "big rig" pump with a big nozzle, GM's got a filler neck on your truck that'll work just fine. And it fills FAST!

BTW, it is comforting to KNOW how high your airconditioner, vents, etc. are from the ground, so a little time with a ladder, stick, tape measure, etc. will pay dividends in relaxation: when you see a pump island or something with a sign that says something like "Clearance 10' 6" " ... you'll know FOR SURE whether you'll clear, and not worry / wonder. That sound of breaking plastic / bending aluminum has gotta' be a baaaad thing to hear.

Enjoy.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
This is probably a pretty lame question, but is something that concerns me a bit.
!

Thanks to all for the helpful comments!

I do indeed plan to use Flying J / Love's / Pilot as often as I can, and fo the most part I think that should make life easy. When stopping overnight at towns, I'll make extra sure to fill up the truck before hitching up.

I have long been a big fan of Flying J as we have used them for years due to generally good prices and ability (at most of them) to stop overnight when on the road.

When we do that, we always fill up, eat, and usually drop a few more $$ in the store!

I'm not sure if Pilot or Love's allow overnight stays, I have the feeling maybe not.

The point about avoiding smaller "mom & pop" stations is well taken. I have started reading up on some of the potential problems of water in diesel fuel as well as the possibility of organisms starting to "grow" in stale fuel!

I'm a bit leary on using additives for the moment until I learn more though, mainly because I believe I read in the Duramax manual not to use them.

I do have a 6 yr GM bumper-bumper warranty on the truck (fingers crossed GM is still around in 6 years!)

I just ordered a book from Trailer Life called "Next Exit" that should be helpful with fuelling. It tells you what services are available at all interstate exits and it appears to identify diesel fuel locations. I do use a GPS that has good exit info, but I don't believe it specifies diesel vs gas.

The comment about measuring trailer air conditioner height is well taken also, although I would imagine that is more of an issue with fifth wheel trailers.

In our last truck, I had the truck ht. on a piece of tape on the dash as a reminder when entering indoor carparks.

No doubt it will be all the more important with our new truck as it is somewhat higher still than the half ton.

When I add the info on our dash, I'll be sure to also measure and add the trailer info - sure couldn't hurt!

Thanks again to all! I guess probably as anything is just to relax and take it easy - I know that I get way to concerned about looking stupid and or holding other people up! My wife is always telling me that!

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Here in Ontario Canada the diesel pumps are color coded yellow. Look for the yellow handle on the pump and the yellow sign.

Around here in smalltownville, gas stations that sell diesel put up a big sign with the price on it, along with the one with the regular gas price. So it is easy to tell who has diesel.

The pumps are located to make it easy to fill up a big truck or truck hauling a trailer. No doubt in urban areas they fill up mostly diesel cars but here in the country the farmers use a lot of diesel pickup trucks and duallies and haul big trailers with tractors on them or hay or other ag products. So the pumps are set up for the convenience of rigs as big as yours or bigger.

You shouldn't have any trouble. In fact you may find it easier to get fuel at rural service stations than in the city.

See you next summer!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Wingeezer,
Pretty much as everyone else has reported.
Additionally, I will always do this for less stressful trips.
1. Fill up my diesel tank (green handle) before the start of every trip without the trailer. (Makes sense?)
2. If I need to, I don't hesitant one bit to go and, filler up with the BIG BOYS..
After all, I am almost as long..lol
You will do just fine..Remember that you have more than you had before back there and, plan your turns according..
Use them mirrors~
Have fun and, we'll see you down the road..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I've found I can pull 500+ miles on a full tank (Dodge Cummins with ~ 35 gallon tank), and hardly ever do I drive more than that in a single day. So starting with a full tank I can be at the next campground before needing to refuel. This avoids the stress of pulling the trailer into tight fueling stations, etc.

Of course if you need to go further than a single tank can take you this won't help

If I absolutely had to refuel and I had any doubts at all about getting into a tight station and getting 'stuck' - other people honking horns and getting upset, etc - I'd just find a place to unhitch the trailer & then refuel the truck. One more unhitch/hitch cycle isn't a big deal compared to the stress of worrying about damaging my trailer or the fuel pumps!
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I forgot to mention.

NEVER RUN OUT OF FUEL

A diesel does not like that and it will tell you so when you try to restart it.

Also check out this site if you want good information on the D Max. This will not be info written by the Company Legal Department but rather equal to the information you are receiving here on the Forum.

Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I forgot to mention.

NEVER RUN OUT OF FUEL

A diesel does not like that and it will tell you so when you try to restart it.

Also check out this site if you want good information on the D Max. This will not be info written by the Company Legal Department but rather equal to the information you are receiving here on the Forum.

Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums

Yeah,

I read about what must be done to restart the engine should you run it dry and will try to avoid that!

I mentioned it to my Mrs - along with telling her how important it is not to put gas in by mistake! Having said that, it will likely be me who does it and she will just sit there quietly biting her tongue!

Fuel mileage doesn't seem very good as yet - judging by the averaging readout, but I guess that is to be expected on a new vehicle, we don't have 500 miles on it yet, and all driving has been around town so far.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Yeah,

I read about what must be done to restart the engine should you run it dry and will try to avoid that!

I mentioned it to my Mrs - along with telling her how important it is not to put gas in by mistake! Having said that, it will likely be me who does it and she will just sit there quietly biting her tongue!

Fuel mileage doesn't seem very good as yet - judging by the averaging readout, but I guess that is to be expected on a new vehicle, we don't have 500 miles on it yet, and all driving has been around town so far.

Brian
Brian,
It takes many miles to break in a diesel (some used to say 10k before its really broken in properly)..I know..what they say now but, I am of the old school..I still believe in the "break in period"..That includes the oil change, towing, speed changes( Get out there on the open road and, vary your speed..don't just do in town driving~..etc..
What are you're seeing now may well change later, however slight. What kind of mileage are you getting now?
Good Luck to you~
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 01-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Here in Ontario Canada the diesel pumps are color coded yellow. Look for the yellow handle on the pump and the yellow sign.

Around here in smalltownville, gas stations that sell diesel put up a big sign with the price on it, along with the one with the regular gas price. So it is easy to tell who has diesel.

The pumps are located to make it easy to fill up a big truck or truck hauling a trailer. No doubt in urban areas they fill up mostly diesel cars but here in the country the farmers use a lot of diesel pickup trucks and duallies and haul big trailers with tractors on them or hay or other ag products. So the pumps are set up for the convenience of rigs as big as yours or bigger.

You shouldn't have any trouble. In fact you may find it easier to get fuel at rural service stations than in the city.

See you next summer!

Yellow colour coding, hmmmm! That's interesting, we are not too far from you, in Burlington Ontario, and the only station I have used so far (a Sunoco station) has their diesel pump handle coloured green! I guess maybe I need to really check closely each and every time to be 100% sure.

Presume if you should ever make a mistake you'd have to have the whole tank drained - if you realized it in time. Not sure how much damage and of what nature could be caused if you didn't realize the error! No doubt you couldn't expect warranty coverage to be much help though!

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
If I may...

Quote:
Yellow colour coding, hmmmm! That's interesting, we are not too far from you, in Burlington Ontario, and the only station I have used so far (a Sunoco station) has their diesel pump handle coloured green! I guess maybe I need to really check closely each and every time to be 100% sure.

Presume if you should ever make a mistake you'd have to have the whole tank drained - if you realized it in time. Not sure how much damage and of what nature could be caused if you didn't realize the error! No doubt you couldn't expect warranty coverage to be much help though!
Brian,
I can relate to this issue~When I first bought my diesel...I had taken it for a test drive, right? Afterwards, I went back to sign and close the deal..I called the dealer to make sure that they would hold that one for me..Plus, I said, while you're at it..fill the fuel tank..After all the papers were signed..I couldn't hardly get out of the dealer's lot..It was so awful..Backed it up and, went back inside to have a "word" with them...They ended up putting it in the shop to check and, come to find out the "lot boy" who filled the tank,. filled it with GAS~!! well, they ended up replacing a huge part of the fuel delivery system. To the tune of several thousands dollars worth..And one month to get all the parts to repair the damage, etc.. It was, of course, covered~!
I will say this..a few years after taking delivery while on a trip, because I was tired or not thinking?? I had a brain fart while at the pump and, put in abt 1/2 gallon or less of gas with no ill effects..BUT..I don't recommend doing that~! mad at myself~!
SO..Yes, plse have no confusion at the pumps..
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 01-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Brian,
It takes many miles to break in a diesel (some used to say 10k before its really broken in properly)..I know..what they say now but, I am of the old school..I still believe in the "break in period"..That includes the oil change, towing, speed changes( Get out there on the open road and, vary your speed..don't just do in town driving~..etc..
Good Luck to you~
Been trying to follow the manual so far - it says no towing, vary the speed, stay under about 55mph., etc for the first 500 miles. Our trip next month will be the first real exercise for the truck and I'll still take it pretty easy.

With our last trailer, (27ft award) I was accustomed to towing at 70-75mph on interstates because the trailer towed so well and we liked to cover long distances on the outbound leg of our trip, usually 1000 miles the first day out.

I'm thinking that from here on in though I may try to take life a bit easier, drive more slowly (60-65mph) and quit mid afternoon for a gin & tonic or two and a relaxing evening. Time to wake up to the fact that I'm
retired (ten years now!) and there's really no rush!

I did find that when we towed the AS home from the dealer in Ohio in September with our last truck, a half ton extended cab 4x4, I was getting a touch of sway at speeds around 65mph. Not sure if that is inherent in the trailer or maybe I didn't have the hitch set up right. Never had it with the Award.

Since then however, I got me a Hensley hitch, plus the new truck has a wheelbase about a foot longer so hopefully that will resolve things.

I think the Marathon tires are only rated to 65mph anyway, so that would be another good reason to stay below that speed!

The tires on my last trailer (also Marathons I think) all flew apart last winter in Fort Stockton Tx! Probably a combination of me driving too fast on them, plus their being about twice as old as recommended. Luckily no damage to the trailer, but one tire lost at least a foot of complete tread surface and once this happened, I found two other tires with the tread starting to separate

I'm trying to improve my bad habits!

2005 Classic 30'
Old 01-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a word Brian..
Many states only allow 50 to 55mph for legal towing speed. But, there are as many that allow 60mph or higher..
Here's a link to that list..(covers Canada as well)
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Something you mention..That afternoon toast to a great day travels, is well worth the early stop..Besides, you get to meet your neighbors~
Life is great~!!
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 01-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Just a word Brian..
Many states only allow 50 to 55mph for legal towing speed. But, there are as many that allow 60mph or higher..
Here's a link to that list..(covers Canada as well)
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Something you mention..That afternoon toast to a great day travels, is well worth the early stop..Besides, you get to meet your neighbors~
Life is great~!!
Wow, That is a very handy list - thanks, I bookmarked it!

We have travelled in some of the states with 55mph towing limits, California being one as I recall.

Whenever I seen the signs when entering a state, I have dutifully dropped right down to the posted towing limits, but I'll have to admit it has only lasted as long as it took me to judge what others were doing!

I was never quite sure how strictly these reduced limits were enforced - guess I've been lucky so far!

I think you are right about the "afternoon toasts! - gotta learn to relax a bit more!

Incidentally, I am surprised at reading in the list the number of states on the that permit triple towing.

The used AS I bought came with a 2" hitch receiver on the rear. I'm pretty sure the PO must have been towing with it (as opposed to using it as a bike rack) because it also had a flat four wire trailer connector installed. KMaybe pulling a small boat or bike trailer I would imagine.

At first I thought it was my good luck because I could use the hitch to mount our bike rack.

From all the good info I gleaned from this forum however, I decided that might not be wise to hang the bikes on the back, so I had a hitch receiver put on the front of the new truck instead - as we had on our last truck - to carry our bicycles.

Now, I'm only hoping the PO hasn't caused damage to the trailer with whatever he was using the hitch for. I don't see any problem, but not quite sure what to look for.

I am debating whether to leave the hitch on or cut it off with an angle grinder.

At first I felt that if I wasn't going to use it, then I might as well take it off as it only adds weight and reduces ground clearance. But it was pointed out to me that it might save the bumper dragging & being damaged, so I'm still not sure what I will do with it! I guess it will stay on for our first trip at least!

2005 Classic 30'