Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Rover

To the gentleman asking about a Landrover Disco:

Be wary of the tow ratings. Rover used to rate their maximum towing capacity based on having the transfer case in low range. That would give you a top speed of about 40mph.

So, in theory, the Disco could tow the big trailer, but only in low range where the torque is basically doubled. But, the rpm are doubled also.

Anyway, it may be different now than ten years ago, but it's worth looking into to be certain.

A Disco has a fairly short wheelbase too. I wouldn't think one of those would be a very good tow vehicle for any trailer much over 22' or so. But I could be wrong.

Me, I use a Dodge Ram 4-door long bed 4x4 (I wouldn't own a 2wd truck) with the Cummins turbodiesel. I haven't hit a hill yet I can't accelerate up and she's got the chassis to pull my 34 footer with ease. I don't get stuck either

Take care,
Old 02-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post

Be wary of the tow ratings. Rover used to rate their maximum towing capacity based on having the transfer case in low range. That would give you a top speed of about 40mph.
And, IIRC, LandRover doesn't recommend the use of WDH. (disclaimer... I haven't confirmed that by doing my due-diligence, this comment is from memory).

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cericks1 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not good with searching. If the tow vehicle has two wheel or four wheel drive, which should you use for general highway driving?
We always use the two wheel mode for normal highway towing.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post

Gentle(wo)man, thank you.

So, in theory, the Disco could tow the big trailer, but only in low range where the torque is basically doubled. But, the rpm are doubled also.

Anyway, it may be different now than ten years ago, but it's worth looking into to be certain.

This is good to know. I had a 2003 Discovery a few years ago but never towed anything with it. Whatta waste! But have been thinking about getting a '97...

A Disco has a fairly short wheelbase too. I wouldn't think one of those would be a very good tow vehicle for any trailer much over 22' or so. But I could be wrong.

...Until you pointed this out. The short wheelbase was my concern too. My trailer is 30' so I've been a bit worried about that.

Me, I use a Dodge Ram 4-door long bed 4x4 (I wouldn't own a 2wd truck) with the Cummins turbodiesel. I haven't hit a hill yet I can't accelerate up and she's got the chassis to pull my 34 footer with ease. I don't get stuck either

I hear you. Being in MT, the roads are compacted snow/ice for several months out of the year, plus exploring the back roads calls for a trustworthy vehicle and dependable traction. A 2wd just doesn't make sense to me here. That's one of the reasons an AWD vehicle appeals to me. I guess driving a truck in 2wd, the light rear end is offset when you're towing? That's my worry with getting a regular pick up truck. I don't want to only be able to drive or tow on happy sunny clear road days.

Take care,
You too, thank you for your comments. This is something for me to think on more.
blossmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Missoula , Montana
Um boy, that reply didn't go very well, did it? My thoughts and replies to your comments are blended in with yours. Sorry about that, my newbie'ness is just showing through.
blossmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote