Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
It's fascinating in all these threads about the Ford back-up system that rarely those who criticize it are those who have actually utilized it.

If you're not interested in the technology, then don't avail yourself of it, but why jump into a thread and blast something that you haven't even used?
There is useful technology and then there is over hyped technology.
I for one don't like to have all my senses dulled by developing a crutch on a barely useful gadget that for the most part is just one more item to jack up the price on a vehicle. In the long run it would be far more beneficial for anyone getting into trailering to develop the skill to back up proficiently than relying on an aid that relies on a battery and components prone to failure.
This brings to mind the Tesla incident.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
There is useful technology and then there is over hyped technology.
I for one don't like to have all my senses dulled by developing a crutch on a barely useful gadget that for the most part is just one more item to jack up the price on a vehicle. In the long run it would be far more beneficial for anyone getting into trailering to develop the skill to back up proficiently than relying on an aid that relies on a battery and components prone to failure.
This brings to mind the Tesla incident.
It's difficult to understand why people continue to trash talk something they are totally ignorant of. They simply don't have a clue about these 'newfangled contraptions'. They may wish to consider going back to a covered wagon, the original RV, instead of an Airstream.
AppleAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
While I'm not trash talking any system, I can see trailer back up assistance being useful to some, I don't think I would like it or use it. We are quickly approaching the point that nothing will be accomplished without assistance. Let's face it some folks should never be behind the wheel of a car much less a truck pulling a trailer. Systems such as this will give confidence to some that will turn into sorrow when things go wrong. Tesla's driver assist seems to be proving that point. There will be people with no skill who completely depend on the assitance, and I'm sure there will be greedy salesmen who convince buyers the system can do it all for them.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Set up Pro Assist

Ive backed up trailers and tandem farm grain wagons. That said and all the fun of learning at that young farm age

Transition to 2018 the future and I am not afraid of technology.

We have a Ford F-150 came with the Pro Trailer and after watching all the youtube videos, reading the manual etc I figured what a piece of cake.

Then I look online at a picture of our still at the dealers trailer ft end and say to myself OH NO! WERE screwed? PROPANE Cover in the way?

Distance for the target sticker placement should be 7 inches to 22 inches, Can I make that? Can you place the sticker on the Aluminum Propane cover vertical?

Any advise before we pick up the unit and the wife and I start getting frustrated/ code for arguing. We will have a nice long private cement pad at the RV dealer to drive this on to calibrate? Unless the Propane tanks say to bad so sad go back to the mirrors and good old days.

Does anyone have pictures of what you had to do? Does the Target sticker have to stay on the trailer permanent?

Yes we are green wet behind the ears newbies and the anixiety is already building before we hitch up. Of course all that is being done the first day we pick it up.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We have the backup assist on our Expedition. I attached a piece of polycarbonate to the trailer tongue to add a little bit of width and there is only a tiny bit of sticker that is actually under the propane tank cover. The system is working fine. I attached the polycarbonate with a good adhesive. If you have a piece of aluminum, steel, etc., anything like that would work to add a little bit more width to give you the space you need to place the sticker. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1128.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	317583
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
You'll grow to love that sticker!

Yes, the sticker stays in place. Our experience was that the sticker is right at 7in and a small corner is under the propane tank.

Tape something non-reflective on the tank behind the sticker, we made ours roughly 12x18. That helped alot.

The system works well once it calibrates and "catches". It does work when turning but will fail out if you are turned at a significant angle and stop.

It may take multiple tries but you'll get it. Just stay calm and follow the guide!

Congrats on your new rig!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
Yes, the sticker stays in place. Our experience was that the sticker is right at 7in and a small corner is under the propane tank.

Tape something non-reflective on the tank behind the sticker, we made ours roughly 12x18. That helped alot.

The system works well once it calibrates and "catches". It does work when turning but will fail out if you are turned at a significant angle and stop.

It may take multiple tries but you'll get it. Just stay calm and follow the guide!

Congrats on your new rig!
Why bother ?
Its a gadget looking for a solution. If you know how to use your mirrors its more of a hassle than its worth.
And those of you cranked up to call me Luddite simply stick it.
I am all for gadgets if they actually eliminate hassles and improve experience. This one doesn't.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good point, Frank. It’s better to know how to back the rig manually than depend on a gadget that does not look in all direction to avoid obstacles...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Leawood , Kansas
We too were excited about the Trailer Backup Assist, but once we picked up the Airstream, we saw that there were a few issues. We've tried a lot of the tricks that some have indicated, but found that unless it's a straight back in, it's unreliable.....and frustrating. So, since we were new to Airstreaming and camping, we had to practice our backing skills (empty parking lots, etc). Scary (for us) at first, but it turns out that my wife backs in our 28ft Int'l better than I do, so, problem solved.
graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Why bother ?
Its a gadget looking for a solution. If you know how to use your mirrors its more of a hassle than its worth.
And those of you cranked up to call me Luddite simply stick it.
I am all for gadgets if they actually eliminate hassles and improve experience. This one doesn't.
After all is said and done, I'm forced to agree. The backup assist feature is a useful tool when it works but it's function is so intermittent (fairly sharp angles and dappled sunlight confuse it) that it becomes, as you point out, more trouble than it's worth. My 2017 F250 has a variation of the F150's system that, while it won't turn the wheel for you, is supposed to provide guidance with graphics on the center Synch screen but it's prone to the same issues that I had on my previous F150. I no longer even try to use it.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
I do embrace technology, Fun to watch that Truck park itself in a space the wife say's NO WAY will it fit!

But it seems the Airstream trailer with its unique Hitch and Propane tank storage design would make the target system an on/off working challenge.

So for our first trip we will just set up the Ford’s trailer brake system . Use two people with our Midland Talk About’s and go slow to learn the old way. To much overload for newbies and a first hookup from a dealership. There will be time to figure it our later. Really appreciate the feedback from those with this system.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
Back-Up Assist Ford F250

Encouraged by folks activating the back-up assist on Ford F250's I tried mine this morning and it works as advertised!

2017 F250 TV...2017 26U AS.

Interesting that I couldn't enter the exact dimension of the distance from the ball center to camera due to the short tongue of the AS, but the minimum measurement seemed to be adequate. The camera found the target sticker, calibrated properly and worked.

I have been pulling trailers my entire life and can thread a needle with just about any trailer, IHO, so this feature is not mission critical. However, being a fan of any tools available I am glad this worked. Also, when my co-pilot is behind the wheel she my find this a useful confidence booster.

If you have an F150 or F250 with this feature give it a try even of the stated needed dimensions in the Owners Manual don't seem to fit.

Lil Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Is Ford's back-up assist available on the new Expedition?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:05 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2023 30' International
Las Cruces , New Mexico
It is available. We just picked up our 2018 Ford Expedition a few weeks ago and will try to set up the sticker today.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
F150 activated pro backup

Just picked up our trailer and in the dealer lot even after 6 hours of Pre delivery and paperwork overload the wife and I successfully hooked up the Ford trailer backup feature.

It found the target sticker at the min set up we entered the measurement data it requested it calibrated within 50 feet

That said took me 30 sec to not feel comfortable using it and I went back to good ole hands on the wheel with a spotter
Old 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Is there an awareness on the part of anyone, as to a fabricator of a bracket to mount on an Airstream Trailer to facilitate the location of the sticker associated with the setup of Ford's F-150 Pro Trailer Backup Assist?
Oli44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
Back up assist is really good at backing up in a straight line over a long distance. I had it on my last SOB and will attempt to use it when my new AS is delivered
John Birk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
My 2020 F-150 is equipped with backup assist. I have experience backing trailers on a farm but not so much with a travel trailer. Farm...lots of room for error. Travel trailer...not.

There are pros and cons. I have found that for backing long, straight distances the feature is somewhat useful. But how often do you need to do that?

However, it’s not so great for backing into campsites or my driveway. It only keeps the trailer moving in the direction you started it. In other words, it will (sort of) back the trailer in the direction it is already pointed. You can make adjustments with the small wheel but it is simply a backwards steering wheel: move the top of the wheel to the right and the rear of the trailer will move to the right. You could do the same thing with the bottom of the big steering wheel.

But forget about using it to make 90-degree turns into campsites or driveways. My home situation is a blind 90-degree passenger-side backup into a cul de sac immediately followed by another blind 90-degree into my driveway. There is no other way to negotiate it (and I spent many sleepless nights trying to think of ways to make it more negotiable). They’re blind because of a six-to-eight-foot cliff around my corner lot. It’s useless for these situations. And I have to hit the driveway entrance at an angle to avoid bottoming out. So I don’t use the feature. Maybe I didn’t give it enough of a chance.

I’m not a Luddite. I’m happy that my truck has an automatic choke, electronic ignition, 12-volt electrical system, LED lights, leather seats, USB ports, etc. I like a manual transmission but happy that I don’t have to drive thousands of miles constantly shifting up and down while pulling a trailer. I even like my automatic headlight dimmers. But the backup assist needs more development.

Just one user’s opinion.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote