Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
BW1
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Ford's Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Has anyone out there actually tried out an F150 with the Pro Trailer Backup Assist??

First of all you you have to take 4 measurements so that the truck knows exactly how much junk it has attached to its trunk.
1)Distance from the truck's license plate to the hitch (will a Hensley cause trouble?)
2)Distance from the hitch to the front of the trailer
3)Distance from the backup camera lens to the centre of the sticker (Ford supplies these for you to use)
4)Distance from the tailgate to the censer of the trailer's axle

Then you enter all this information into the screen and you are ready to go.
Has anyone made it past this to try it out? Just wondering if our Airstreams have some strange measurement that will not compute and the whole system will not work for us.

Practice makes perfect and watching this on a video with a small boat trailer and in a parking lot…it sure looks awesome!

Or..is it a complete waste of money??

Any thoughts?
BW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not much conversation here on this

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-147273.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I did attempt this but we have to much junk on our tongue. Propane tanks etc. I was not able to complete the measurements so was not able to use this feature.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
It is possible to make the system work with an AS.....at least it does with my 25' FC.....with a few caveats.

With the sticker placed in the location shown in the picture below, it is just outside the minimum of 7" from the center of the hitch ball as stipulated by the Ford setup instructions. This is the one parameter that might be an issue on some Airstreams. In any event, after entering all the measurements, and with the sticker placed as shown, the computer in the truck picked up the sticker on the first try and was able to calibrate itself properly.

The system works really well most of the time, and it's easy to maneuver the trailer by turning the dial on the dash. Input is intuitive; you turn the dial in the direction you want the trailer to go and the steering wheel spins on it's own. Just don't touch the wheel as the system thinks you are trying to take over manually and will abort.

But (you know there has to be a but) there can be problems. It seems that in some lighting, particularly in dappled sunlight as with light shining through leaves, the camera will lose the sticker. There have been times backing up my steep driveway when the system will abort at a crucial time and on those occasions I've been so frustrated by this I just turn it off and back manually.

Like I said, when Backup Assist works it works amazingly well, but it's not perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sticker.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	294206  

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Nice hear about how it does.
Hope to hear from more folks about it.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
I placed my sticker on my 26U and F150 just like MikeInCa. Works well. I have a tough (for me) backup into and down my driveway. Worst thing is when I touch the steering wheel which kicks it out of backup assist then I must take out of R and let it reacquire the sticker which takes about 20 secs. I suppose someday I should learn to backup trailer without it, but makes it quite easy so not much incentive. It's real nice on passenger side back-ins as well.
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I tried it with my F150 / RPod combo.
Worked ok, but found the acquire time unreasonable if traffic waiting, if acquired at all.
Now have F250 / 26U so no longer have the option.
I think just learn to back without it.
Don't become dependent on a technology few TVs have.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
I tried it with my F150 / RPod combo.
Worked ok, but found the acquire time unreasonable if traffic waiting, if acquired at all.
Now have F250 / 26U so no longer have the option.
I think just learn to back without it.
Don't become dependent on a technology few TVs have.
I agree that it's best not to lean on the tech and instead learn how to DIY.

Just as an aside, does your 2017 F250 Platinum have the tow camera option? If so, then it also has a Backup Assist feature that uses the same computer/camera/sticker components that the F150 does. It won't turn the wheel for you but it does give info in the center stack display that includes a virtual steering wheel that assists with which direction to turn the actual wheel, a gauge to avoid possible jackknife situations, etc.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:07 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Yes it does!
Have not played with it yet - on my list.
Thanks for reminding me.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #10
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I do enjoy fiddling with new technology but I also do not rely upon it.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have it on my F-150. It makes back up my cargo trailer a breeze. But that thing jackknifes so easily. The AS does work, BUT you must go very slow and cannot turn too sharply otherwise the camera looses the marker. Just stop. Pull forward a bit to pick up sticker. Back up again. At first I got frustrated and just backed up manually. But backing into my driveway is a bit tricky. So I tried it again and moved slower and tried not to turn sharp. With very little practice I parked exactly where I wanted to with little effort.

I personally like it. I can back up by myself. But not as proficient as I would like. Probably over time that will change. If I have time, do it myself. If it is a tight spot use the assist.

But as I said if you have a cargo trailer it works SUPER. That thing always want to get out of wack and with the assist I backed up first time using it in a very difficult spot and didn't have to stop once. It was amazing.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote