Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Haven’t had any wobble (my 350 is at 122,000 miles) but we inspect the suspension regularly and noticed one loose lower tie rod end, so replaced all 3. Touched up the alignment (toe) while under there and we rotate tires regularly. Looseness in suspension components is easy to miss so I check it often.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Harleys with the batwing fairings can do that as well.

Many police have been injured or killed in high speed chases as the the total loss of control is quick.

I experienced that tank slapping of the handle bars on my 2005 Classic in the middle of a turn in the mountains. A laundry generating experience!

I spent lots of money on fancy shocks and frame stabilizers and that did not cure the issue. The fairing is the root cause in my opinion. The fixed fairing model and my GoldWings never exhibited this thriller.

Put Harley wobble into a search engine.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
On a motorcycle it's called a tank slapper. It's caused by the steering geometry and the weight distribution.
Want an example? Put a large case of water on end in the front of your empty grocery cart and you almost can't push it.
It's not the total load but the front wheels go crazy.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #24

1973 25' Tradewind
Austin , TEXAS
Google Death Wobble and you will be amazed at the number of trucks this happens to. I have a 2011 F250 Diesel with this problem last year. If you get it, there is no mistake. Usually starts an oscillation when you hit a rough spot in the road doing over 60 MPH. It is VIOLENT! Stops when yo hit the brakes and reduce speed below 50 mph. After spending $2600 in parts and labor at the Ford Dealership, I still had the Death Wobble. They acted like they had never heard of this problem before and told me I had tie rods, etc worn out (I had less than 70,000 miles on the truck). I ended up replacing the two front tires (they ended up being cupped) and it went away. Seems to be prevalent in Ford, Dodge and Jeep heavy duty trucks.
fordmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #25
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think I'd avoid any dealership that says they've never heard of it. It's been around for many years and not limited to any specific brand but I do think it's specific to 4x4 with solid front axels. That eliminates GM products. I've had it in older Jeeps as well as pickup's but the '15 F-350 is the first one I've seen it happen with only 30k miles. In my experience it was, until now, always with older well worn suspensions with lots of play in them. I'm hoping to have eliminated it in my truck but only time will tell. The only part that ford replaced was the ball joint on the track bar. Very slight movement was noted
and could be easily overlooked. Along with this, new tires, alignment and twin steering stabilizer set-up added. I have 66k miles now, still way to soon to expect death wobble due to worn out suspension.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #26
Classy Roscoe

I find it interesting in the video offered, the carry all has a Tommy Lift for a tailgate, (~900 lbs) and was stright and stable until the front left tire went onto the fog fence after crossing a bridge with uneven approaches.

In the oil patch before the “Split I Beam” designed front end was discontinued, you could cause the death wobble at will flying down a service road going over burm in the road.

So bad in fact, the service company installed a 18” length of 5/8” dia. steel cable around and thru the yokes on each side of the front end to stop the problem.

When the load of equipment in the back was changed up, the problem went away.

Ask some of the folks that carry a generator set and a bunch of bycycles on the tail of their Airstream how things handle going across a long bouncing bridge.

Ride’um Cowboy!!

Safe travels.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Pleasanton , Texas
I’m surprised to hear about doors and drawers opening and things working loose during travel. We have a 1994, 30 ft, Classic. We have owned it since 2003, and are the third owners.
We bought the Airstream because we didn’t want to be stopping and picking up loose parts. We have found this to be true.
Our twenty four year old Airstream is very sound. All original cabinets and fixtures. The only things we have replaced in the fifteen years we have owned the trailer, is the fridge and the furnace. We replaced a perfectly good cook stove because the rv service center said they couldn’t longer get the necessary part.
I hate to say it, but I feel that even Airstreams aren’t built like they used to be.
I would not hesitate to take off cross country today.
craigdowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Possible warped rotors on front brakes. My 05 Excursion had that issue due to aggressive brake pads.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

If people can ride within an RV... is there something I do not know? .

Just put a video camera in there.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #30
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
A pretty good explanation of how the death wobble happens, from one of the truck forums:
https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...lained-652036/