Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 08:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Impaired judgement

For a person to make a statement that it's okay to use a Windstar to tow a 31' A/S and, at the same time say,
"Try driving a Ford Expedition, rated to tow approximately 8000lbs, and you'll want to sue the Ford Motor Company for producing the most unstable tow vehicle out there.Short wheelbase, long rear overhang, high centre of gravity and sloppy suspension do not make a safe tow vehicle. " is totally beyond me. This is not to say that I endorse the Ford Expedition as a tow vehicle of choice but, If it were the 'only' alternative to a Windstar, then logic and, reason would prevail. I believe it's proper to ask the forum questions, after all, we've all been there before. But, to turn a blind eyes to logic, in favor of national pride, is abit too much.
All I can say to an unreasonable/irrational person is: Stay in Canada, for the life you save may well be mine~I've seen enough carnage in my lifetime without importing more~!!

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-29-2002, 08:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
ref:URL link

John, I don't use Netscape, so I'm not able to say anything abt your comments but..with MS internet explorer version 6.0.26 that I'm using, it worked just fine.~Thanks for taking the time to post and, share some very interesting info.~

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-29-2002, 09:41 AM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Tow vehicles

It is funning we are talking about tow vhicles and I am shopping for one too. However, I do not believe manufactures specs are BS. Most of the time in my experience the specs are right on. The details (and there is lots of them) are critical. The previously mentioned Expedition may only be rated to pull 6000 #'s. It depends on bunches of stuff. Besides engine, trans, (although there is only one choice for Expedition) axle, and 4X4 vs: 4X2, there is how I load up the tow vehicle, what options are on the tow vehicle (that adds extra weight). All those options are calculated by a towing vehicles manufacture.

Then there are items added by the consumer, such as running boards, larger tires, roof racks, bug deflectors, that have a impact on fuel economy and ability to tow.

So when I go to the dealership most of the salesmen (people - sorry Bobby's wife) and they tell me sure this will tow your load. And they don't even know what my trailers weighs much less what the tow vehicle will do. I usually ignor them cause I have done some research before. And it is more important for resale vehicles.

The manufacturer really wants you to come back and buy another, be it used or new. However, there is not any vehicle manufacturers that sell vehicles to the public. They sell them to a dealer. And they also publish mountains of data so you can make a decision. And that is what the forum is about too. Getting data so one can have a better experience in travel trailering.

"So honey could you hold this pin?" "I need to lob this grenade over the wall."

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-29-2002, 10:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Tow ratings

Manufacturers tow ratings aren't BS. They are a by-product of competition and are set as high as possible to reflect ideal conditions and not break the bank with warrenty costs. I spent 35 years as an engineer and I can easily picture the meetings with sales pulling up and engineering pushing down. The result is a number that has no bearing on whether towing is a pleasurable, or at least bearable, experience.

There are two limits: what the tow vehicle can stand and what the driver can stand. I earlier posted a link to an article on the 75% rule which I think is a good starting point. Stay under 75% of the tow rating and the GCWR for reasonable performance.

Personally, I want to stay even lower than that. My current trailer at gross weighs just 54% of the tow rating of my truck and while I'm 100% satisfied with handling and brakes, I'm just barely satisfied with the performance on hills.

I once pulled a 3240# Scamp 5th-wheel with a Nissan with a 3500# tow rating. It was legal, but it was a pretty dismal experience.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-29-2002, 10:26 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Ford towing guide

You can get the Ford towing guide I mentioned in any dealership on the brochure rack, its worth reading and has some good information in it.

John
Old 07-01-2002, 10:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Norm,
That doesn't look anything like a Windstar pulling your 34' Excella. It looks like something a little more suitable for the task.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
Old 07-02-2002, 12:53 PM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Loud noise?

David,
looks like his pick is closer looking to a Expedition than a Windstar!

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-02-2002, 01:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Norm,
I don't think we are trying to trade insults with you. Some of us have already made towing mistakes with vehicles and are quick to point out that there are some considerations to think about. On my short trip just last Fri., some guy in a crewcab ran through a guardrail and his truck was resting on its side. A firetruck was there with red lights on. Everyone was moving from the slow right lane to the left passing lane and moving at appx. 50 mph in a 65 mph stretch except for this fool who put his emergency blinkers on and pulled directly in front of me at maybe 25 mph. I had to get on my brakes hard and blow my horn for him to speed up before I hit him. He was doing nothing but rubbernecking at the crash site. These are times I really appreciate the extended cab wheelbase, the 4 wheel disc brakes on my truck and the 4 wheel disc brakes on my trailer. Keep on truckin'.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-10-2002, 04:52 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
It's truly amazing what you see going down the road

"I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing! A 1998 34' AS Limited being pulled by a 1999 Ford Windstar min-van. I saw this combo going through Revelstoke, BC on the Trans-Canadian HWY. It's truly amazing what you see going down the road.

1994 28' Excella
Fulltimer"

Copied from ASCentral

John
Old 08-10-2002, 08:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
John,
How many people were behind the trailer pushing?

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-11-2002, 02:58 AM   #25
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
do you think my V10 doge viper would work!!!!!!! 502tor. 502hp (LOL)
Old 08-11-2002, 07:45 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Yeah, yeah more horsepower thats the trick.

John
Old 08-12-2002, 05:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Underrated towing vehicle

Last week my wife and I drove our 1981 Excella motorhome back to Southern CA from polishing and detailing in Broken Arrow, OK, Coming down a grade east of Tucumcari, NM we could see lots of police activity on the shoulder at the bottom. As we passed by the activity we saw a fairly large travel trailer (not an Airstream) on it's side on the shoulder. The tow car (what was left of it) was about 100' from the road down an embankment. It had been a Jeep Cherokee, the skid marks on the pavement led us to believe that the combo had been fishtailing before the trailer tossed the Jeep off the road.

We stopped for propane in Tucumcari and asked the operator if he had heard what happened. He had heard that there were four people in the Jeep, one seriously hurt and three not badly injured. We were afraid, viewing the damage to the Jeep, that someone may have been killed. The propane operator commented that fishtailing out of control had caused the accident. This is one result of towing with a vehicle that is too light to keep the load under control when it starts oscillating.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:43 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Well, everyone else has given their opinion. I might as well chime in. There was a poster above who suggested going to the local Airstream dealer for advise on whether a Ford Windstar would be adequate, etc.
Well, I ran across a lady who had just purchased a new Safari and the dealer tolder her her Ford Explorer was a great tow vehicle, and to PROVE it, he showed her last year's Airstream Broucher, and sure enough, there was a picture of an Explorer pulling a Safari. :-) She trusted his judgement, and bought the Safari. That was about 10 months ago. Needless to say, she no longer has the Explorer. She bought an Expedition. Still on the edge of what she should have, but sure better than the Explorer.
Moral of story......Airstream dealers will tell you what they think you want to hear. No better than car dealers.

Jack