Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #57
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
Bill,

Sales figures do tell us something, but not necessarily that the biggest seller is the best, the primary reason Ford outsells GM and they both out sell Dodge is the number of retail outlets. Ford has by far the largest number of dealers, and recently, they are gaining in terms of percentages since there are more GM and Dodge dealers closing shop due to the economy and poor sales. Each manufacturer has it's loyal fans, and each truck is different in some way from another, and in the end, each owner justifies his decsion based on his set of circumstances and specific needs and wants. I for one am really glad we have a choice, and I agree, lets hope we will always have many red/white/blue trucks to choose from in the future.

time
Hey Time, don't want to go tit for tat on this...because really, as long as it's DNA is stamped "USA" I am all for it. I would drive a 69 Power wagon (which I used to own!) before I put my butt in anything foreign...

But Ford does not outsell GM in trucks...they outsell Chevy or GMC individualy, but the 2 divisions combined (GM) have historicaly been roughly equal to Ford in sales for about 2 decades with each selling ~ 900k/year. They have traded #1 by about 100k units in any given year. Dodge and the foreigners were selling ~ 300k/year in trucks.
We all know these numbers will be drasticaly different for ALL by the end of this year...

Disclaimer; this does not of course, include the recent economic climate for which I have no data on current sales figures for trucks. (I no longer work in automotive-thank God!)

Disclaimer #2; I make no excuses for the mess GM has made for itself, or Dodge. It's a da*n shame. Mismanagent at it finest.

I suspect that the majority of the PM's you received from disgruntled deezul owners were 6.0l Fords as your previous truck?
No surprise there...that platform, for a large part, was a disaster, though I understand the later years were OK.

I have yet to hear any real complaints from Cummins drivers or DuraMax drivers...

Bill

p.s. Time; its all good, just wanted to clarify some numbers I stated rather broadly previuously.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Yes, it is all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Hey Time, don't want to go tit for tat on this...because really, as long as it's DNA is stamped "USA" I am all for it. I would drive a 69 Power wagon (which I used to own!) before I put my butt in anything foreign...

But Ford does not outsell GM in trucks...they outsell Chevy or GMC individualy, but the 2 divisions combined (GM) have historicaly been roughly equal to Ford in sales for about 2 decades with each selling ~ 900k/year. They have traded #1 by about 100k units in any given year. Dodge and the foreigners were selling ~ 300k/year in trucks.
We all know these numbers will be drasticaly different for ALL by the end of this year...

Disclaimer; this does not of course, include the recent economic climate for which I have no data on current sales figures for trucks. (I no longer work in automotive-thank God!)

Disclaimer #2; I make no excuses for the mess GM has made for itself, or Dodge. It's a da*n shame. Mismanagent at it finest.

I suspect that the majority of the PM's you received from disgruntled deezul owners were 6.0l Fords as your previous truck?
No surprise there...that platform, for a large part, was a disaster, though I understand the later years were OK.

I have yet to hear any real complaints from Cummins drivers or DuraMax drivers...

Bill

p.s. Time; its all good, just wanted to clarify some numbers I stated rather broadly previuously.
Bill,

Thanks for the clarification, I believe you are correct or at least it certainly sounds right, I will be the first to admit numbers are sometimes tough to nail down. As for the folks who have PM'd, most have never owned a truck, thus all of the thread posters who have had experience in truck ownership have helped them determine the pros and cons of owning different brands and models. Basically, they have appreciated owners expressing their point of view, positive or negative.

I never intended to bash Fords, although I agree that there seems to be more disatisfied Powerstroke owners than Duramax or Cummins, but in reality, even the Powerstroke has by far more happy owners than ones who had problems, probably a ratio of 25 to 1.

The OP of this thread seems resigned to keeping his original truck, I think that may be the trend for some time, it is really hard to justify buying any new truck that depreciates 50% in less than 2 years.

time