Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Ford twin turbo engine recall for the 1.6

Another reason not to buy a twin turbo anything:

The 2013 Ford Escape is undergoing its fourth recall since its introduction this spring. (Ford)
Ford Motor Co. is recalling more than 89,000 new Escape SUVs and Fusion sedans because the engines can overheat and cause fires.

It's the fourth recall in four months for the all-new Escape, a top seller for Ford in the important compact SUV segment of the market. The new 2013 version went on sale in the spring, and it already has had problems with coolant leaks, cracked fuel lines and carpet padding. Safety advocates say that more than three recalls in a car's first year are a sign of quality problems, although Ford has said previously that the recalls show it's moving quickly to address safety problems.

Ford is trying to find out what causes the overheating problem -- the engines can overheat and leak fluids onto hot parts, causing fires. Ford says it's working on a fix and is asking owners to contact dealers, who will arrange for loaner cars at no charge until the repairs are made.

The recall affects vehicles from the 2013 model year with 1.6-liter turbocharged engines that were sold in the U.S. and Canada, the company said in a statement.

Ford spokesman Said Deep said the recall comes after the company received reports of 12 fires in Escapes and one in a Fusion. No injuries have been reported. Deep said he did not know what fluids are leaking.

Ford urged owners of the recalled vehicles to call dealers to get loaner cars. The cars can still be driven, but owners whose dashboard warning lights illuminate should pull off the road, turn off the engine and leave the vehicle, the company said.

"It is important that affected customers not ignore this recall and contact their dealer as soon as possible," Steve Kenner, director of Ford's Automotive Safety Office, said in the statement.

Escape and Fusion owners can find out more about the recall by going to Ford's website, Ford , and clicking "View Notices and Recalls" in the "Support" tab. Owners can type in the 17-digit vehicle identification number to see if their vehicles are included. They can also call Ford at (866) 436-7332 in the U.S. or (888) 222-7814 in Canada, Ford said in a statement.

The recall affects Fusions and Escapes with "SE" and "SEL" packages. Models with different engines don't have the problem and are not involved in the recall. About 73,000 Escapes and 16,000 Fusions are affected.

In September the company recalled 7,600 new Escapes to fix coolant leaks that can cause engines to overheat or catch fire. Those Escapes also have 1.6-liter four-cylinder engines. Plugs in the engine may not have been installed properly and can fall out while the motor is running. Coolant can leak and cause engines to overheat.

In July, the company recalled 11,500 Escapes to fix fuel lines that can crack, leak and cause fires. In the same month Ford recalled more than 10,000 of the vehicles to fix carpet padding that can interfere with braking.

Both the Fusion and Escape are among Ford's top-selling vehicles. So far this year, the Dearborn, Mich., automaker has sold nearly 220,000 Escapes and 207,000 Fusions, according to Autodata Corp. But many of those are from the previous model year and have different engines.

Both vehicles seat five. The 2013 Escape has a starting price of $22,470, while the Fusion starts at $21,700.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
The recall affects vehicles from the 2013 model year with 1.6-liter turbocharged engines that were sold in the U.S. and Canada, the company said in a statement.
They probably have an electrical problem. The 1.6 Turbo engine is imported from Great Britian.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19

It's not the twin turbos that are the problem. It's the dolts that have no experience with the technology but rush it to market anyway before properly designing and testing it. They will eventually get the bugs worked out and TT will deliver for Ford just like it has delivered for the European manufacturers for years. Unfortunately, the early adopters for Ford TT products are now conducting the alpha and beta testing that Ford should have done before going to market.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Maybe they overheat because someone pulled a trailer with it? It is new technology. They will get it figured out. There is a lot more heat to deal with when you have two red hot turbos in an engine compartment that you could drop a marble in and it would not hit the ground.

You sure the 1.6 is a twin turbo? The info I saw showed the 1.6L had one turbo. If the engine was truly made in Briton that would explain the fires.

The technology is not all that new but it has been a while since it was in vouge. In the late 80's and early 90's turbos were popular but careless owners would not let them cool down and would turn engines off with the turbo spun up. They were not fool proof.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The 1.6l Ecoboost is not a twin turbo anything, so I guess it doesn't have any bearing on twin turbo anything. It's a single-turbo direct-injection inline 4, only remotely related to the 3.5l Ecoboost in trucks by the fact that it is turbocharged and direct-injected.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

.... careless owners would not let them cool down and would turn engines off with the turbo spun up.
This should definitely not be the case today. I don't know if the Fords do t or not, but my Cayenne runs the fan, oftentimes for a minute or more, to cool down the turbos when I turn the engine off. Of course that may be why I have two batteries, too.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
It is not a 2 turbo issue but, as Budget M3 says, that Ford has reverted to their scheme of using their customers for beta test. I bought Ford-produced Merkur several years ago: turbo engine, 5 speed, and as part after part failed I dug into the issues. The Ford CEO told us face-to-face that "Ford won't desert you." Several months later...they deserted us. I had to buy an aftermarket kit to rebuild my turbo that the dealer would not sell me. It was from...Ford Motorsport! Finally ahd to relace the tranny because it could not handle the torque. I will NEVER buy a Frog (oops, Ford) product again. Today, my twin turbo diesel runs really nice with good support.
I suggest those with turbos they have run hard let the engine idle for a minute or two before shutdown. My Merkur coked the bearings even though water cooled and Mobil 1 supplied. Of course, you shouldn't tow with a turbo engine <g>, they just aren't designed for it. Ask any Kenworth/Peterbilt owner.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You should not tow with a turbo car unless it is designed for it. My Turbo Eclipse says do not tow anything with it. The car is not designed to put out 200 HP continuously like it would if you were pulling a trailer with it, something will break.

The F150 Ecoboost was designed with towing in mind. Most small turbo cars are not designed for it. There is a lot of heat produced in a turbo engine. That turbo is a big chunk of red hot metal and it will catch stuff on fire if not properly shielded. I rebuilt the turbo on my Eclipse when it had 120 miles on it and the bearings were fine. I was always careful to let it cool down before shutting it off. The turbo housing was cracked from constant heat. It probably would have run that way for a long time. These things are dirt simple of rebuild. They are not that easy to remove. I ended up replacing the cracked housing with a newer one that was a high nickel alloy that can withstand higher temperatures. The worst problem with the engine was valve seals that went bad causing the valves to carbon up.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My 2012 twin turbo F150 Ecoboost is running just fine and no current recalls or maintenance notices at this time. The new Ecoboost turbo technology is much different than turbos of years past. The Ecoboost does not require any cool down time prior to turning off the engine. Early 6 cylinder Ecoboost engines had a stumbling problem that was fixed by a computer flash update. I would have no problem buying another Ford Ecoboost product.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Hyperbole.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Hyperbole.
Charitable characterization.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote