Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #41
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
F350 over F250 is a no brainer for me ...
ordering is cool, i've done this twice and it's a good thing.

but IF u screw up it's all yer fault bro'
_________

the 10k 350 is not enough payload imo.

basically F has eliminated the 'heavier payload' 250s...

there used 2b a 10k' 250 with basically the same bits as the 350.

consider carefully how MUCH stuff you will regularly haul...

then think about the TIMES when u wanna haul MORE...

imo the 11.5 is a better choice IF going diesel and dragging a larger stream...

IF you really do up size the fuel tank later this will matter.

as it will for a variety of other reasons (not ignoring the tags issue)

same on the long bed/short bed issue.

folks like what they have but the only intelligent approach to sizing is to TRY the bed on 4 size...

take a truck for an overnight test, throw a moving van quilt in the bed and load it....

or chalk out a bed in yer drive way and fiddle with the space.

i carry 2 bikes, a kayak, grills, genset/s, lots of tools, a ladder and 6-8 rubbermaid bins IN the bed...

along with locked boxes and a blue boy and extra water can and a 2nd spare trailer tire ...

this list of stuff requires an 8 foot bed and i'd consider a 10 foot bed IF they offered one.

each hobby or affliction needs a few cubic feet of space.
________

the extra wheel base is a BONUS towing or solo, especially while driving the interstates.

parking is a non issue, the truck is big regardless of bed length and is NOT parked where tiny cars live.

turning radius is a non issue (check the specs) but the larger fuel tank IS a real bonus.

mpg is not gonna matter with a 4x4 relative to wheel base, but make sure you can carry your crap.
_________

also consider this 25 foot stream may not be the shortest stream u own...
-----------

lotz of threads on beds/wheelbases and 2/350 but try whatever beforehand...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...lbs-13161.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...bed-33078.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...bed-38180.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cab-37655.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ort-47419.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-on-62347.html

sales are 95%+ shortbed trucks, which means when used long beds appear they VANISH quickly in the used market...

the 05 long bed c/cab i traded was the only one on the lot and sold 2 the next guy,

before the oil had cooled down...
______

so drive a bunch of them, try the space on for size and remember WHY u r getting a truck...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I agree that the 10k "payload" is not enough - but the 10k GVWR option provides me with a "paper rating" used for "registering" the vehicle in my state of Maryland that is supposed to limit me to only "10K" - enforceable on Maryland tagged commercial vehicles (pretty sure the same is for my other state of California too - luckily no issue for the great state of Colorado, my final residence to be...). The great news is that the F-350 is otherwise the EXACT same as a standard F-350 model....

The 10k GVWR option keeps me at the same "Tax, Title, Tags and Inspection" schedule as a F-250 BUT with all the F-350 goodness. YES, if I were driving commercial and pulled up to the scales I would be limited to "10k" and receive a hefty fine if I were a pound over - but as a civilian I can get away with the extra weight as I am not subject to inspections - but if I were, I'm still sitting right at 10,000 pounds (even if I upgrade to a 34 Classic in 5-10 years like I'm dreaming) - the difference is with the F-250 I'm at max weight while with the F-350 I've got more reserve (even if my sticker says I'm not supposed to have more than 10k total weight). That is at my "current" dream payload that would be in the truck with me (fellow peeps, dogs, extended range diesel tank, generator, fuel for generator, tarps, carpet, hunting "stuff", lead, water bag, tools, canopy, bedrug, tonneau, etc., etc., etc.) I keep coming up a few hundred pounds under my 10k "max" limit...

It's a crazy option for us "non commercial" folks to get the better payload capacity of the F-350 but not pay the "penalty" for states that impose it (California & Maryland - my two states and I think Massachusetts as well) on both "civilians" and "commercial" users of F-350's....

And "2Air" - as usual, your are so correct - it's scary ordering one's truck and imperative to do the homework as for unless you want to loose that deposit, your stuck with what arrives! Glad I've got some practice with a few german cars that I've prior ordered...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #43
_

. , .
you'll be fine with the 10k gvwr.

funny how these tagging schemes work and vary from state2state.

the last truck was 10k gvwr with a tag/sticker saying "11k or under"

when the new truck (an 13K gvwr) was registered they simply swapped tags.

no up charge, no new sticker.

so the 13k truck has the same 11k sticker.

apparently registration/tag fees in oz aren't based on gvwr for NONcommerical owners...

and while the total rig is well over 22,000 lbs loaded there is no UPscaled drivers license needed.

maybe it's time to add a big ol' air horn...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I Love the Air Horn Option!!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote