Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
OK U ask, so here is MHO. My vote is for an F350SRW/Crewcab/ 8ft and the new 6.6 or what ever it is Diesel,and get all the toys your budget can stand. You can command more in resale,it has full vacuum over hydraulic disk brakes all around.The wheel base is long so the ride is easy. If U use a Reese dual cam like I do,with 550 lb bars the trailer will get a smooth ride too. We really like ours which now has 90k miles,@20 mpg highway/12 to 14 round town and 16mpg towing.
The decision is yours no one can choose for you.
GOOD LUCK with whatever
Roger

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
I was planning on a 2011 F250 4x4 short bed until in an earlier thread 2air' talked about payload and stuff.

I did the calculations on what I might haul around and was way over the limits of the F250 plus I couldn't fit in all the stuff. Now I am looking at a F350 and 8' bed. More stuff and larger diesel tank. Some of the weight comes from a Leer cap, yamaha propane 6300 generator with 2 30 lb bottles, and a gorilla slide. If one adds in a 100 gallon water tank for boondocking, then the F250 is very over weight.

I hope to soften the ride for the Airstream by using an AirSafe class 6 hitch. Now ProPride has to provide a revised stinger. Sean says he is working on it. The weight distribution lowers the AirSafe limits and the company says I should get the class 6 if I buy a F350. Class 5 is ok for F250.

Only problem is that a crewcab and 8' bed are about a mile long.

Barry
Pattonsr,
Being new to towing in general, can you help me understand what an airsafe hitch is, what what a gorilla slide is?
Thanks for the education!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #31
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Old 10-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by epperp View Post
Pattonsr,
Being new to towing in general, can you help me understand what an airsafe hitch is, what what a gorilla slide is?
Thanks for the education!
Airsafe Hitch.... Home
Old 10-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by epperp View Post
...what what a gorilla slide is?
these are trays mounted on roller bearings that SLIDE out of the truck bed.

while they allow easier access to gear the trays can weigh several hundred lbs...

Truck Bedslide and Gorilla Bed Slide Out Cargo Platforms

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #34

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks to all who provided info - I am amazed at and so grateful for your willingness to share your expertise and experience. Lots of good points here, particularly the payload issue. Being new to this, we had completely overlooked the issue of how much we'd want to carry in the pickup bed (duh). While our first couple of years as Airstreamers will be spent with long weekend trips and several-week vacations, we do look forward to cross-country jaunts, and will definitely be looking to carry a lot of cargo. (My husband wants a generator, we have fishing gear, bikes, etc.) So we've pretty much settled on the F350 diesel. Because it's likely this truck may eventually be our only vehicle and one we'll keep for a long time, we're going all out with the King Ranch crew cab and all the goodies. Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Go Cowgirl. You only live once.
Please post pictures as soon as you put your rigs together.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have a 2010 F250SD Crew cab diesel short bed with a snug top canopy. We tow a 27' FB and to be perfectly honest you would'nt know if it was back there if it weren't for the drop in gas milage. We are VERY happy with our rig.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
We have a 2010 F250SD Crew cab diesel short bed with a snug top canopy. We tow a 27' FB and to be perfectly honest you would'nt know if it was back there if it weren't for the drop in gas milage. We are VERY happy with our rig.

ditto here. Except for the snug top.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Sean at ProPride just announced support for the AirSafe hitch. No details yet.

Barry
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

I say, forget the new trailer, have a 1966 28' restored for about the same amount as buying new (plus you build the trailer that you want, how you want) that will save you 550 pounds of tounge weight, go with a F250 CC, 4x4, 8' bed. If you feel you need more *ss, put a AirRide setup on the back. Enjoy the smooth ride and a vintage trailer.

Always think outside the box.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
F350 over F250 is a no brainer for me (after doing the research to include review of a few of our forum members posts....) - add your tongue weight to passengers, cargo, topper, etc. and a F250 gets to max weight pretty quickly (damn Airstream Classics and their upgraded propane tanks and optional front windows, hardwood - my 25fb has a tongue weight only exceeded by a 30' and 34' slide out's... )

The shocks on the F350 are progressive meaning the ride between a F250 and F350 is identical until you exceed the suspension on the F250 and then where the "extra suspension capacity of the F350" takes over....

Only downside to a F350 is licensing/tags/registration for some of us (both California & Maryland for me), so I'm getting the F350 10,000 GVWR option - identical capacity to a standard F350 but in theory I'm not to exceed the 10,000 pounds - fine by me BUT where the F250 is maxes at 10,000 pounds GVWR the F350 is at a comfortable level with reserve...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #41
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
F350 over F250 is a no brainer for me ...
ordering is cool, i've done this twice and it's a good thing.

but IF u screw up it's all yer fault bro'
_________

the 10k 350 is not enough payload imo.

basically F has eliminated the 'heavier payload' 250s...

there used 2b a 10k' 250 with basically the same bits as the 350.

consider carefully how MUCH stuff you will regularly haul...

then think about the TIMES when u wanna haul MORE...

imo the 11.5 is a better choice IF going diesel and dragging a larger stream...

IF you really do up size the fuel tank later this will matter.

as it will for a variety of other reasons (not ignoring the tags issue)

same on the long bed/short bed issue.

folks like what they have but the only intelligent approach to sizing is to TRY the bed on 4 size...

take a truck for an overnight test, throw a moving van quilt in the bed and load it....

or chalk out a bed in yer drive way and fiddle with the space.

i carry 2 bikes, a kayak, grills, genset/s, lots of tools, a ladder and 6-8 rubbermaid bins IN the bed...

along with locked boxes and a blue boy and extra water can and a 2nd spare trailer tire ...

this list of stuff requires an 8 foot bed and i'd consider a 10 foot bed IF they offered one.

each hobby or affliction needs a few cubic feet of space.
________

the extra wheel base is a BONUS towing or solo, especially while driving the interstates.

parking is a non issue, the truck is big regardless of bed length and is NOT parked where tiny cars live.

turning radius is a non issue (check the specs) but the larger fuel tank IS a real bonus.

mpg is not gonna matter with a 4x4 relative to wheel base, but make sure you can carry your crap.
_________

also consider this 25 foot stream may not be the shortest stream u own...
-----------

lotz of threads on beds/wheelbases and 2/350 but try whatever beforehand...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...lbs-13161.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...bed-33078.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...bed-38180.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cab-37655.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ort-47419.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-on-62347.html

sales are 95%+ shortbed trucks, which means when used long beds appear they VANISH quickly in the used market...

the 05 long bed c/cab i traded was the only one on the lot and sold 2 the next guy,

before the oil had cooled down...
______

so drive a bunch of them, try the space on for size and remember WHY u r getting a truck...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I agree that the 10k "payload" is not enough - but the 10k GVWR option provides me with a "paper rating" used for "registering" the vehicle in my state of Maryland that is supposed to limit me to only "10K" - enforceable on Maryland tagged commercial vehicles (pretty sure the same is for my other state of California too - luckily no issue for the great state of Colorado, my final residence to be...). The great news is that the F-350 is otherwise the EXACT same as a standard F-350 model....

The 10k GVWR option keeps me at the same "Tax, Title, Tags and Inspection" schedule as a F-250 BUT with all the F-350 goodness. YES, if I were driving commercial and pulled up to the scales I would be limited to "10k" and receive a hefty fine if I were a pound over - but as a civilian I can get away with the extra weight as I am not subject to inspections - but if I were, I'm still sitting right at 10,000 pounds (even if I upgrade to a 34 Classic in 5-10 years like I'm dreaming) - the difference is with the F-250 I'm at max weight while with the F-350 I've got more reserve (even if my sticker says I'm not supposed to have more than 10k total weight). That is at my "current" dream payload that would be in the truck with me (fellow peeps, dogs, extended range diesel tank, generator, fuel for generator, tarps, carpet, hunting "stuff", lead, water bag, tools, canopy, bedrug, tonneau, etc., etc., etc.) I keep coming up a few hundred pounds under my 10k "max" limit...

It's a crazy option for us "non commercial" folks to get the better payload capacity of the F-350 but not pay the "penalty" for states that impose it (California & Maryland - my two states and I think Massachusetts as well) on both "civilians" and "commercial" users of F-350's....

And "2Air" - as usual, your are so correct - it's scary ordering one's truck and imperative to do the homework as for unless you want to loose that deposit, your stuck with what arrives! Glad I've got some practice with a few german cars that I've prior ordered...

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote