Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I also do not have the adaptive cruise. My truck came off the dealer lot so that was not a conscious decision. The blind spot stuff is very useful. The cross traffic alert is also handy. Neither one is crazy enough to be distracting. Lane departure is also something else I do not have.

Other minor things that are nice: The truck checks the lights on the trailer. How good the check is, who knows. It will tell you if the 7 pin is not fully plugged in. The truck logs miles on the trailer. That's very handy for maintenance. Even the gas version has engine braking that integrates with the cruise control. It's handy going through the hills.

None of this is to say the truck is perfect. No vehicle is perfect. It's also not to say that Chevy or Dodge have worse systems than Ford. I'm sure they also have equally cool options on their trucks.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are trying to find reasons why you don't need to spend the extra money and I completely understand that. I'm sure you'll be fine without the cameras. I can say that, while I discounted the value of having the system on my F150 and only changed my order at the last possible minute to get it, now that I've got it I wouldn't want to be without it. I ordered it without hesitation on the F250.

Good luck with your decision.
Good information and quite helpful. No forgiveness required. I don't mind spending the money, I do however, want the best value for money spent. It appears the camera package may be worth it but now with information provided by contributors here, I determined the extra Trailer camera and prep is not of enough value to me. I have a wireless camera that can be viewed at any time. Thanks

As far as Adaptive cruise control, we have it on our 2017 Escape and I love it. I followed a friend to Alaska back and he never used the cruise control. By the time we got back, I had carpal tunnel syndrome in my left thumb from constantly adjusting the cruise speed.

It works pretty well on highways with moderate traffic. Speeds up and slows down automatically based on the distance you want to maintain from the vehicle in front of you. It will brake hard if some fool changes lanes to close to you, so you still have to pay attention.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
IMHO Cameras are more of a distraction than a useful aid.
You want avoid accidents, get out of the truck pace the spot you need to get into and plan it out. Than use the mirrors. Using the mirrors will force you to be looking where you need to be going instead of your dashboard.
Jumping out of the truck and pacing the spot isn't always reasonable or convenient; in traffic or a parking lot for example. I use my mirrors constantly but it's nice that the additional input from the cameras is available if desired; the two aren't mutually exclusive. But TEHO....one man's extra information is another's distraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Good information and quite helpful. No forgiveness required. I don't mind spending the money, I do however, want the best value for money spent. It appears the camera package may be worth it but now with information provided by contributors here, I determined the extra Trailer camera and prep is not of enough value to me. I have a wireless camera that can be viewed at any time. Thanks
I didn't order the trailer camera with my truck either for the same reason; I'll get the Ford TPMS as a stand alone . The only downside of the wireless camera is that it requires another monitor in the cab, but functionally I think it's a better option, and my new trailer already comes with it.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I also do not have the adaptive cruise. My truck came off the dealer lot so that was not a conscious decision. The blind spot stuff is very useful. The cross traffic alert is also handy. Neither one is crazy enough to be distracting. Lane departure is also something else I do not have.

Other minor things that are nice: The truck checks the lights on the trailer. How good the check is, who knows. It will tell you if the 7 pin is not fully plugged in. The truck logs miles on the trailer. That's very handy for maintenance. Even the gas version has engine braking that integrates with the cruise control. It's handy going through the hills.

None of this is to say the truck is perfect. No vehicle is perfect. It's also not to say that Chevy or Dodge have worse systems than Ford. I'm sure they also have equally cool options on their trucks.

Bob
You had to burst my bubble, all this time I thought my F-250 Diesel was a perfect truck. I will never get over this one :-).
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote