Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #15
_

. , .
not trying to hijack your thread, but since u asked...

the crew cab long bed 250 was a good ride.

especially on the open road where wheelbase and 22 foot of truck matters.

the 350 is even nicer, with the same wheelbase.

while it has double the payload capacity,

the rear leaf stack is a bit more progressive (still firm like german cars) so it's not harsh by any means.

in the corners and with turning it stays especially flat.

i like near zero body roll and the drw provides that in spades.

the turning radius is the same or a bit smaller than the srw trucks.

with double the tire capacity, the 4 rears are only inflated to 55 psi (per ford)

vs the srw which requires 75-80 psi all around when towing.

of course the interior is a generation newer with more features and a much tighter build.

and the moto is very quiet compared to the older impact knocker diesel...

and all those things contribute to increased comfort.

4 rear tires actually spreads the grip and effectively doubles the contact patch...

so it's much easier to spin the tires or power drift.

which is another sorta comfort...
_________

again all the new fords have better suspensions and improved rides,

srw or drw, 4x4 or 4x2 and long or short wheelbases, when compared to the previous generations.

it's still a truck and that's important.

and the fact that the trailer brake controller, mirrors, wiring harness and receiver ALL work perfectly as oem...

makes for a real plugNplay tow vehicle.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
ford=works fine

dodge=works fine

ge'em=does not work

cheers
2air'
Not to bring this conversation back to the original topic or anything but...

I can confirm the GM part of this. A friend of mine with a 5th wheel SoB brought a 2011 bowtie. He was mighty ticked to find that not only did he have to buy a whole new 5th wheel setup due to the frame changes from '06 to '11, but his electric over hydraulic brake system wouldn't work either. He was originally going to have his Prodigy controller wired in, but even the aftermarket shop wouldn't do it for fear of messing up the integrated ABS / sway / etc. system.

In the end, he talked to the brake system manufacturer and they supplied a "part" for $75 that made their system work with GM's system.

I'm glad to hear that the Ram and the Ford don't need anything special.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #17
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Also, the FORD comes Factory ready for a 5th wheel package..if needed. You have to order. Also comes with pre-wired for 5th wheel , again IF ordered.

Not needed here but worth noting.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Are you sure - the T-Rex averages 10-12mpg through the Sierra's, Rockiees & Appalachians and I've gotten 16mpg when I slow down to 65-75 on the flats of our countries heartland.

Perhaps with a more heavily loaded Airstream and loaded truck - even up and over our countries mountain ranges - I'll still maintain 11-12 mpg?
Fuel economy is pretty much tied up by the tow vehicle. If the trailer is the best (and you have an Airstream) and the trailer tracks straight (and you have a PP) that is covered. But anything above 60 starts to drag it down. Weight and length are relative -- a 34' won't do much worse (if any) and a 20' wouldn't really do that much better once at speed. Sorta comes down to the stops and starts. And TV weight hurts in stop & go . . . .

The advantages of a slower travel speed isn't limited to better peripheral vision and stopping distances. There is virtually no lane-changing, braking or re-acceleration to speed as a result. Being under the flow has distinct advantages, especially as one approaches, traverses, and exits metro areas. I can park the cruise control on 58 and pretty well never change speed all day, metro area or not (figuratively). This negates the energy needed to maintain higher speeds on a too heavy TV.

Depending on the terrain & traffic this is significant.

Ironically, travel times are not greatly increased for the most part, so while the aero benefit is big, the lack of brake/throttle applications really adds up. In mpg studies CUMMINS tests for brake applications per 1000-miles as a parameter. An analysis of actual travel times to determine average speed would be of help. People travel more slowly than they assume, especially when towing! (I like to use the hourmeter as my rough gauge, as I tend to avoid extended idling except in hottest weather).

I am suggesting that if one drills down on ones numbers that they may not be as good as thought . . which makes a less economical tow vehicle -- driven differently -- not so bad as first appearances would make it.

If mileage really matters it'll be better in a 2WD SRW over 4WD DRW. But I would go for a 1T over a 3/4T as payload capacity disappears fast with heavy TW.

I've found only a few diesel truck owners really keep good fuel use records -- highs & lows are meaningless -- so look for comparisons that show averages, broken out, on the various make and RV enthusiast boards.

I hope you'll contact all the manufacturers with your questions about the brake controller, and drive all of them extensively. For Dodge it is the Chassis Builders BodyGuide that provides in-depth information in many instances, and I would imagine Ford & Chevy have their versions, also, in a download. It's the best place to begin, IMO, with questions.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Biggest fear is having to go through the whole brake controller issue again! First with my Porsche Cayenne & VW Touareg and now because my trailer has electric-hydraulic brakes - a feature I just LOVE!

Although the Ford HD site still claims that their OEM brake controller only works with electric brakes, for their 150 site it now says compatible with electric-hydraulic brakes - sure the HD site will soon reflect this update.

Can't find anything on the Ram and their OEM brake controller - but "2airishuman" always does his research and I always trust what he says (but miss his bunny aviator).

Now for the Chevy/GMC camp - lots of folks stating that their electric-hydraulic brakes are not recognized (trailer not connected error) with the OEM brake controllers but a few have had success creating a pigtail for the brake harness that is made up of wires going through some magnets and this works for them.

Fun Stuff Indeed.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #20
_

. , .
the tech info for the ram actually sez the itbc will not work with e/h brakes.

this was confirmed by a 'master tech' at a dealership after some confusion.

and a tech bulletin in their training web info confirmed this.

but i took a new ram on an overnight test ride and hooked up the stream,

did the sync and the brakes powered right up.

they worked fine towing with the ITBC from ram.

covered in detail in another thread on this topic...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ler-70175.html

05 super duty book formerly said "no don't, it won't work with e/h brakes..."

and the ITBC-e/h brakes worked fine.

08 book said something like..."not tested or confirmed to work with e/h brakes"

and the ITBC-e/h brakes worked fine.

2011 book sez something like... "tested to work with some e/h brakes"...

and the ITBC works fine with MY e/h brakes.

ge'em stuff said NO and a trial at plugging them in confirmed NO.
_________

moons ago we had very detailed threads on WHY ford had said NO and yet the system worked.

it had to do with ONE time they aren't functional (moving from a stop at <5 mph)

as the voltage supplied was progressive and tied to movement

once the truck was going 5 mph the power was full on!

california inspectors had to CHANGE their procedure just for the fords because of this.

the point being the printed literature may not be accurate.

in fact it's clearly NOT accurate for the current trucks.

so the only way to really know is2 try it.

op asked 4 'real world' and that's as real as my world can get.

so plug in the stream and sync, then listen for the hydraulics to operate.

YMMV, there are many wayz to cut cheeze.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
. . We got 14.9 mpg towing, covering 237.4 miles, mostly at speeds below 60 mph on a mix of highway, city and rural roads. With the truck empty, just loafing around town, we averaged 18.1 mpg. These are good numbers, better than prior Super Duty diesels, and for that we have to credit the transmission.

Chihuahua towing 23' Airstream
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Update... The Ford "Super Duty" brochure (available for download as a PDF here) has been updated to reflect that their SD OEM Brake Controller now works with "Electric Hydraulic Brakes"....
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
The fine print says they work with certain electric-over-hydraulic trailer brake systems. See footnote. Call your dealer for details. I tried all the dealers around Austin and then Ford headquarters. They had no clue what controllers were tested. You would think Ford would issue a technical bulletin for their dealers.

Turns out Carlisle did test the 2011 Ford Super Duty and said no problem. Dexter said they worked. I did not follow up with anyone else.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
We already determined the most important factor - the Ford OEM Brake Controller (as well as the Ram OEM Brake Controller) controls the Airstream "electric over hydraulic" brakes - Ford is now feeling confident enough that they are thus stating so in their brochures....

Of course they don't want to legally say they work with them all or someone will sue their A$$...

Unfortunately - it appears Chevy\GMC has yet to rewrite the code (or whatever they need to do) for their OEM brake controllers to be functional with any electric over hydraulic" brakes although some folks from the Chevy\GMC camp appear to have creatively made them work...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
I have an 09 Dodge and an 05 AS with Electric /hydraulic brakes . The older trailer had all electric brakes . Now when I step on the brakes they are very sensitive and I suspect the brake controler is wrong for the setup I have . I cannot turn the sensitivity down any lower and the brakes almost lock up . What controller must I get for the Air Stream with the electric / hydraulic brakes for proper operation ?
Don
Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #26
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Don, does that '05 (a Classic?) have disc brakes by any chance? If so you might be able to adjust the boost level down on the trailer side.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Yes it has disc brakes There is an adjustment someplace ? I have no repair manuals for the brakes . I know I cannot turn the sensitivity on the controller any lower . They also seem to hang up a bit before releasing after applying them ? I am planning a long trip and am so concearned about them locking up as I travel along .

Don
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Yes it has electric Hydraulic disc brakes
Don