Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Ford Offers New 200k mi Warranty for Diesels

I've just learned that Ford started offering in August a new warranty for its PSD engines. It's for 200k miles/7 years (from original date of purchase as new vehicle)thru ESP. There is a 13pt plan of coverage if the vehicle is still under the 100k/5year warranty, and a 21pt plan of coverage if the vehicle is still under the original 3year/36000 mile warranty. Both plans come with a -0- deductible. Most dealers are unaware of the new ESP program, but can find out by calling Ford.

I'm in the process now of shopping for a good price for the warranty. So far I've been quoted 1900 & 2200 for the 13pt plan. These were in local dealers. There is a dealer in Kentucky that is offering the 13pt plan for 1475, or that's the price that was quoted on TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com . The thread is in the 6.0L Powerstroke forum if you want to read about it.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm not a believer in extended warranties myself. I have 45K miles on my 2005 PSD F-250 and have had absolutely no mechanical problems with it so I think $1400+ to $2200 is a little steep. If I had had any problems with the drive train on my truck I would consider it, but I don't think it would be something I would be interested in, personally.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm with you, Tom - 70k miles on my Duramax and prepared to bear the risk myself.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We had a '97 Astro van and got talked into a $3,000 extended warranty. A moment of total weakness and I felt foolish when I realized I'd just blown that kind of money on something I'd never get my value out of. Over the 6 years we owned it over $11,000 worth of work was done on the extended warranty plan, just to keep the darned thing going. Whew!

My wife bought the extended warranty on her 740I and again I thought she was wasting money. Did you know an alternator for one of those suckers, with labor, is $1,100.00? A PCV replacement is $738.00? Holy crap! Now I'm extremely pleased she bought the warranty plan (not the car - I'd of liked her to buy ME a new diesel truck ).

I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the additional on a engine that should last several hundred thousand miles without major issues, but it comes down to individual circumstances. I am leaning toward a duramax (if the boss says I can buy one of course - I'm one of those married men who can do anything he wants - as long as his wife says it's okay). My buddy is lobbying hard for me to take another look at Ford's offering.

Barry
Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
...I have 45K miles on my 2005 PSD F-250 and have had absolutely no mechanical problems...
crossing idaho

with trailer in tow...

on a sunday

in monday traffic...

at 49,001 miles

and absolutely no

"mechanical problems"

the truck died.

going up hill,

70 mph quickly became,

zero mph,

at 6pm.

and 50 miles

2 the next dealer oasis.

3-4 days later

repair completed

and back on the road

just 100$ lighter

the 100k diesel coverage covered

11 hours labor,

transplant surgery

a new high pressure injector pump, pumpin...

at perhaps 2,000$ billing...

and i still LOVE dat truck!

extended coverage is sometimes a good thing.

there are many formula for calculating the 'value' of extended warranties...

using them is somewhat like determining the 'perfect tow vehicle' formulae...

but the w.i.c.w.n.b rule usually supersedes all planning.

cheers

2air'

and barry, defining 'major issues' is the issue....

as androcles and the lion reminds....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
For a lot of people an extended warranty just isn't for them. For me, it's a matter of peace of mind. All I know about a diesel engine is that they are expensive to repair. I plan to keep my Excursion for a very long time. From what others have said about these engines, I know they are tough and they last several hundred thousand miles. They also tell me the stuff inside and on top of the engine will need replacing from time to time, and that's where the warranty comes in. A turbocharger, valves, water pumps... they cost money to fix. So, I know that at some point in time that something is going to need to be fixed. I figure it's like health insurance. I pay for it up front, and when needed I've got it to pay for the repair.

I had a brand name HD TV that stopped working. I called and was told that the TV wasn't made anymore, less than 4 yrs old, and they didn't make the part to fix it anymore. I had an extended warranty on it, and my new HD TV cost me the price of a new extended warranty.

________Tom

Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
After this mornings emails I called my brother to chat. He oversees the parts area for a municipality that has trucks of every manufacture. When I raised the issue of which one is better than the other (he has a Dodge diesel he truly enjoys but he also loves Fords and has from way back) he said it depends on which mechanic is working on which vehicle that day. They are all pretty much the same over all for service requirements and in the long run he'd prefer the Ford and Dodge out of personal preference, but it's only that.

As to the extended warranty he said the municipality do not do this, but personally the mechanics often buy it. Repairs for certain items are expensive even when it is only the parts and you are doing the labor yourself, and typically issues happen when you are on the road and away from your tools anyway. As well, you are not really in a position to negotiate with a repair facility while you are in need of their services and when it's a warranty claim it just removes the hassles.

So interesting feedback. As for the new Ford diesels his belief is they are rock solid and are a good value.

Now, if I can just get the love of my life to let me have one of anything I'll be an extremely happy man .

2'air - I'm not sure if I caught what your overall costs were for your road repair but what a bummer to have that happen. From what I read it did not cost you personally a lot of money, which is a good thing, and it's just one of those things that happens. I know you are pretty pragmatic about these things. If something happens you just deal with it and then it's done.

Take care,
Barry
Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
_

. , .
'57...

the co-pay on the 100k factory diesel coverage for the '05s is a benfranklin...

and that's what i was charged.

given it took 11 mechanic hours AND the cost of parts and oil and coolant and so on...

also the towing 50+ interstate miles (trailer and truck) was covered by my insurance.

so it was a deal 4me....

and the camping was free out back of the dealer...

yep just work it out and move on....

2 the next adventure!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
2air

I'm glad you got your TV repaired, and ready for the new tow. I read your thread about your testing the new hitch set up after you picked up your new tow. In your tests did you tow with full tanks, and then tow with empty?

I'm curious because I've never towed with water in my fresh tank. After reading here I'm rethinking this. It seems from what I read that having ballast may provide a smoother ride, and remove the minimal sway when a semi is over taking me. Right now that sway is just a little tug I think is created from the bow wave. I'm going to be a solo camper while the Smart One tramps off to China for six months. So, I'd rather eliminate those unpleasent happenings when the only one to join me in yelling expletives will be our birds.

_________Tom

Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
...In your tests did you tow with full tanks...Tom
hi tom

don't wanna divert this thread much but yes full fresh water tank.

i always travel with the fresh tank full and over a week that 60 gallons moves to the 2 waste tanks...

there are many threads on the full/empty tank issue. my view is the lower center of gravity does help with handling

AND the convenience of having water to use is worth any weight penalty on a 34ft it is 3-5% extra mass.

this advice comes without an extended warranty!

2air'

Old 11-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
All it takes is one incident and it's worth it.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Interesting thoughts on extended warranty. I decided to lease new every 2, 20k/year lease, that keeps me down to oil changes and maybe tires and brakes.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #13

Currently Looking...
Frisco , Texas
Fact on Ford Powerstrokes-- you usually loose a transmission somewhere around 130-150k. I thought the manuals would be cheaper, they arent. 4,000k for mine(ZF6 and clutch), at 136k miles. I was expecting it, but what I would give to have had an extended warranty!!!

PS-I still love the truck!!!!!
streamdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamdreams
Fact on Ford Powerstrokes-- you usually loose a transmission somewhere around 130-150k. I thought the manuals would be cheaper, they arent. 4,000k for mine(ZF6 and clutch), at 136k miles. I was expecting it, but what I would give to have had an extended warranty!!!

PS-I still love the truck!!!!!
What happened to the ZF6?. You are the first one I have ever heard of with a failed ZF 6sp. The only other one I know of (fleet manager at a local Ford dealer) was because they never changed tranny fluid in it at 175,000 miles it got hot without the fluid..had a slight leak but never did anything about it.

They are about as good a manual as there is. The only other rival to it MIGHT be the old Borg Warner T-18 I have in my 79 Ford. It is perfect and tight still after 371,000 miles. Just a couple clutches for $700 each.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
'08 F250 Warranty

I too bought the Ford Factory Extended Warranty (not a third party affair) to extend all of my components to 100,000 miles. All bets are off after that. Like most everyone else, I usually don't buy extended warranties but felt I should in this case.

It's the little things that can kill you, turbos I think cost $1,500, new DVD player is not cheap either.

I plan on having this machine a long time and will service it as dictated in the manual to ensure I have my end of the deal covered.

So far I have been very impressed with the truck, not only its performance but the quality too. (Of course their are a couple things if I were king I would change or add but the truck has been perfect so far.) I've now got over 15k on it and it still drives like when I bought it back in April. Was scared to death to have to buy an "American" made vehicle but now that I have when I go to replace my wife's foreign made mini-van I will seriously look at the US offerings.

She already has her eye on that new Expedition EL with the electric fold down flat third row seats.

BTW, my wife gets a kick out of the construction workers eye balling my truck when we're out and about.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote