Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #43
Rivet Master

 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,650
Blog Entries: 13
Well, fundamentally, it takes "x" btu's/hour to move my airstream at, say, 60 mph. So, other than a minor gains or losses in efficiency of a power train or the aerodynamics of a tv/trailer combination, whatever I tow it with is going to burn roughly the same amount of gas to move it a given distance. Of course, more btu's per gallon with diesel. More efficiency at altitude with turbos...

There really is no "magic bullet" that is going to give me 25mpg while I am pulling 4 tons of shiny aluminum down the road. So, I vote for track record of reliability, comfort in the cabin, reasonable payload.

Still shopping...


Mike
__________________

__________________
Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Does anyone have valid data about the mileage increase with Non-Ethanol gas, vs. ethanol/gas mixtures? Is it worth the extra cost or not? some friends tell me the mileage is a bit better, but here in Lower Alabama, Non Ethanol is about $0.50/gallon more that the diluted stuff..
Just wondering.
Larry
Hi, All I know is that I was consistently getting 11.5 MPG while towing before the Ethanol and now get 10.0 MPG. My old Lincoln wasn't designed to run this new gas. Maybe newer vehicles can handle it better. We can't get the non-Ethanol here anyway.
__________________

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #45
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Does anyone have valid data about the mileage increase with Non-Ethanol gas, vs. ethanol/gas mixtures? Is it worth the extra cost or not? ome friends tell me the milage is a bit better, but here in Lower Alabama, Non Ethanol is about $0.50/gallon more that the diluted stuff..
Just wondering.
Larry
Typical reformulated gasoline is advertised as having up to 10% ethanol, ie E10. Ethanol has much less energy content on a volume basis (33 percent less) so the net impact is around 2-3%. That is just based on energy content. If your engine does not run as well on an ethanol blend the impact can be more.

If you are dealing with E85, the impact is of course much greater, about 28%.

When I find non-ethanol fuel for no more than a 3-5% premium over blended (up to 10%) I buy it. Engine runs better, and it is near enough a wash on cost per mile.

Jeff
__________________
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #46
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,056
I don't think you should buy a TV that requires premium. There is no 3/4 or 1 ton trucks that require premium that I know of.
__________________
The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #47
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,136
Images: 24
Based on reading on the internet.... The Ford Ecoboost is ignition system is mapped for regular 87 octane gas, with regular it produces its rated power. Its also mapped to recognize up to 91 octane and adjust timings accordingly where it can make an additional 20 HP and 10 lbs torque. I read its suggested to use premium for more demanding applications like towing in mountains. My 2002 Volvo does the same thing with different grades of fuel.
__________________
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #48
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Based on reading on the internet.... The Ford Ecoboost is ignition system is mapped for regular 87 octane gas, with regular it produces its rated power. Its also mapped to recognize up to 91 octane and adjust timings accordingly where it can make an additional 20 HP and 10 lbs torque. I read its suggested to use premium for more demanding applications like towing in mountains. My 2002 Volvo does the same thing with different grades of fuel.
Interesting, my Pontiac G8 GXP does the same, you can run 87 in it, even though it's the same 6.2L v8 found in the Corvette, but because the car is originally from Australia, they have a tougher emissions, but if you throw in 92 the car really wakes up.

So this makes sense they would map the programing like that.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #49
Chief Chili Cook
 
newroswell's Avatar
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Well, fundamentally, it takes "x" btu's/hour to move my airstream at, say, 60 mph. So, other than a minor gains or losses in efficiency of a power train or the aerodynamics of a tv/trailer combination, whatever I tow it with is going to burn roughly the same amount of gas to move it a given distance. Of course, more btu's per gallon with diesel. More efficiency at altitude with turbos...

There really is no "magic bullet" that is going to give me 25mpg while I am pulling 4 tons of shiny aluminum down the road. So, I vote for track record of reliability, comfort in the cabin, reasonable payload.

Still shopping...


Mike
Single best upgrade to improve MPG's is the circuitry between the drivers ears. Have you ever watched the traffic around you flooring it from the green light to slamming on the brakes for the red light they were never going to make? A little discipline with the skinny pedal can save a bunch. Visualize every time you hit the brake you're paying for the gas twice. This requires slowing down. You're not trying to make every light (you won't). You are trying to not waste fuel for speed that you can't use very long. I actually started this a while back when the vehicles started coming with the fuel economy dash screen. It's a full on challenge now for me and the vehicle to meet my best millage (most of the time ).
__________________
The NSA -- The only part of the government that listens.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #50
3202 Ellie
 
boliversr's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 24
milan , Michigan
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 52
I took my first trip towing 24' double argosy with 2013 5.0 3.55 gear it worked great plenty of power lowest fuel mileage was 12.8 I was happy with it not towing it get hwy 19.5 to 20.5 local 16.8 17.4 I think the ego boost does better but i'am happy with the 5.0
__________________
boliversr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member
 
1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 491
I wanted an Eco boost since they came out, I believe in 2011. I talked about the F150 EB with the guys in our WBCCI unit and they never said anything bad about the EB. The things they keep saying was that the F250 was an all around heavier built truck. The killing blow to my dream of an Eco boost was in pricing both the Eco boost equipped for towing and a standard F250 that meet the same requirements. The difference was that F250 was about $10,000 cheaper and the towing mileage was about the same. I bought a 2005 F250 V10 with a 4.10 rear end and only 38,000 miles for $13,000. About 95% of our mileage is towing and it gives us 10.5 to 11 mpg. The other 5% of the time we get 15 mpg. The way I see it the $30,000 difference between new and used will buy a lot of gas mileage difference. Our old truck was a F 150 set up for towing, this F 250 is much more stable and a joy to two with.
__________________
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #52
Rivet Master
 
r carl's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I wanted an Eco boost since they came out, I believe in 2011. I talked about the F150 EB with the guys in our WBCCI unit and they never said anything bad about the EB. The things they keep saying was that the F250 was an all around heavier built truck. The killing blow to my dream of an Eco boost was in pricing both the Eco boost equipped for towing and a standard F250 that meet the same requirements. The difference was that F250 was about $10,000 cheaper and the towing mileage was about the same. I bought a 2005 F250 V10 with a 4.10 rear end and only 38,000 miles for $13,000. About 95% of our mileage is towing and it gives us 10.5 to 11 mpg. The other 5% of the time we get 15 mpg. The way I see it the $30,000 difference between new and used will buy a lot of gas mileage difference. Our old truck was a F 150 set up for towing, this F 250 is much more stable and a joy to two with.
You have made great decisions there.
__________________
The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #53
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,400
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I wanted an Eco boost since they came out, I believe in 2011. I talked about the F150 EB with the guys in our WBCCI unit and they never said anything bad about the EB. The things they keep saying was that the F250 was an all around heavier built truck. The killing blow to my dream of an Eco boost was in pricing both the Eco boost equipped for towing and a standard F250 that meet the same requirements. The difference was that F250 was about $10,000 cheaper and the towing mileage was about the same. I bought a 2005 F250 V10 with a 4.10 rear end and only 38,000 miles for $13,000. About 95% of our mileage is towing and it gives us 10.5 to 11 mpg. The other 5% of the time we get 15 mpg. The way I see it the $30,000 difference between new and used will buy a lot of gas mileage difference. Our old truck was a F 150 set up for towing, this F 250 is much more stable and a joy to two with.
So, you're talking about the comparison between used and new? Because the comparison of mostly-equivalent trucks does NOT show a $10k difference. For 2wd trucks:

F150 XLT SuperCrew w/6.5' box, 3.73 limited-slip diff, Ecoboost (this config includes Max Tow and HD Payload by default) MSRP: $41,195

F250 XLT Crew Cab w/ 6.75' box, 3.73 e-locker diff, 6.2l (the new base engine for Superduty trucks) MSRP $39560.

I don't track F250 equipment levels regularly but I'm assuming that the equipment level is pretty similar XLT to XLT. The price difference is almost entirely due to the Ecoboost option on the F150 vs. the base engine on the F250. The 250 gets you another thousand pounds of payload and of tow capacity in the listed configurations (and another thousand pounds to drag around when the truck is empty.)
__________________
— David

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #54
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,136
Images: 24
Even your comparison isn't equal. You upgraded the F-150 engine, but compared to the F-250 base engine. But most guys getting a F-250 will want the 4x4 with the upgraded Powerstroke diesel engine. This brings the price of the F-250 to MSRP $50,835.
__________________
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member
 
Dallas Center , Iowa
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 127
Took a short 750 mile round trip this week from Iowa to South Dakota. I got 20.7 mpg with the 2013 F150 EB 4x4 crew cab, 3.55 rear axle. Best mileage I have ever gotten. I was not towing. Used 87 octane NON alcohol fuel....the regular old stuff. I have the E-rated tires now and cranked them up to 65-lbs. Ran with Tow Sway Control setting on OFF. Now, if the Walleye's were bigger..........
__________________
Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #56
Remember Burma Shave!
 
driftwood's Avatar
 
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 510
Images: 35
What mileage are you getting towing the 2006 25' Classic ??
__________________

__________________
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford F150 3.5L Eco Boost tlcbuilder Tow Vehicles 601 05-19-2014 09:05 PM
2015 Ford Expedition with Eco-Boost Roadtech Tow Vehicles 16 02-24-2014 05:43 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.