Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #481
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
We just traded an '05 F-250 diesel for a '13 F-150 Ecoboost and just returned from a 500 mile trip from Denver to western Colorado. Going up Mt. Vernon canyon, thru Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass is a pretty good test for a towing vehicle. Honestly, after a lot of research and discussion with the Ford dealership, I was still nervous about the decision to go with the F-150. After this trip I'm happy to say that our experience was terrific. It's a great vehicle. Going east on Vail pass, which is a real workout, it pulled easily at 65 mph and still had room to go. Engine braking is not as strong as the F-250 and I'll need to learn how to use the tow/haul feature of the F-150. On the relatively flat open road, it's a real pleasure to drive and there's no problem with pulling the trailer. F-150 specs: 4x4 Supercrew, Ecobost V-6, 3.5L engine, 3.55 axle ratio, select shift transmission, trailer brake controller, 7200# GVWR tow package. Airstream specs: '04 25ft. Safari LS. GVWR (empty): 6,300 lbs. Hitch wieght w/o options or variable weight: 750 lbs.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #482
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globeville View Post
We just traded an '05 F-250 diesel for a '13 F-150 Ecoboost and just returned from a 500 mile trip from Denver to western Colorado. Going up Mt. Vernon canyon, thru Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass is a pretty good test for a towing vehicle. Honestly, after a lot of research and discussion with the Ford dealership, I was still nervous about the decision to go with the F-150. After this trip I'm happy to say that our experience was terrific. It's a great vehicle. Going east on Vail pass, which is a real workout, it pulled easily at 65 mph and still had room to go. Engine braking is not as strong as the F-250 and I'll need to learn how to use the tow/haul feature of the F-150. On the relatively flat open road, it's a real pleasure to drive and there's no problem with pulling the trailer. F-150 specs: 4x4 Supercrew, Ecobost V-6, 3.5L engine, 3.55 axle ratio, select shift transmission, trailer brake controller, 7200# GVWR tow package. Airstream specs: '04 25ft. Safari LS. GVWR (empty): 6,300 lbs. Hitch wieght w/o options or variable weight: 750 lbs.
Look at your payload max capacity on the drivers door jamb subtract the tongue weight and hitch weight and that is what you have left for passengers gear and if you weigh more than 150lbs that weight needs to be subtracted also.F150's are great trucks just low on payload capacity and max out very quickly.
Most dealers that sell them have no clue how they should be spec'ed out to tow large travel trailers properly.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #483
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Most dealers that sell them have no clue how they should be spec'ed out to tow large travel trailers properly.
That is very true and as evidence of that the dealers often register trucks for the nest thousand pounds over the trucks weight instead of the GVWR. This poor practice often makes it illegal to drive your truck with a passenger in the truck (let alone any cargo) because you would be over the registered max weight of your truck.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #484
Whtesocks

2014 31' Classic
Crane , Missouri
Currently have a 2014 Classic, which I pull with a 2013 F150 ecoboost engine, with the trailer package and the 3.73 differential. The door sticker and books say the maximum combined weight is 17,100 lbs. at my configuration. That being said the power of the engine is impressive and mileage is around 10 to 12 pulling the trailer. I've hit around 19 without the trailer, which includes city driving while unhitched. All my research and current experience pulling the trailer support the F150 is capable of pulling a 31 footer with no problems when properly equipped. I do like the softer ride when unhitched!!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #485
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Road Geezer You likely don't "need" more power however you could easily "want" more power. However if you like your Suburban as a vehicle you may be able to substantailly improve your hill climbing with a little driving technique and a different tire size. What year suburban do you have? Which engine? Do you know your axle ratio? Do you have a 4 or 6 speed transmission? What size tires do you have? Andrew T

Hi Andrew, pls excuse the delay in my reply. We're on a long trip currently in MI heading north the Mackinac Island, and I haven't mastered the iPhone Forums ap yet.

I have a 2001 1500 Sub with a 5.3 ltr engine. It's a 4 speed tranny with 3.73 rear end. The tires are stock; I think 17 ". Odometer is around 145k.

Appreciate your advice.
Respect Each Other
Old 10-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #486
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
I have owned 2 Ford F150 EcoBoosts. 2011 & 2013. If I were to do it again and planning on towing any camper at all I would for sure have: MAX Tow, 3.73 rear end & E rated tires. This gets you the highest payload which is the real weak link so to speak in this combined tow challenge of the various F150 EB models. The motor and transmission clearly have enough power on all F150 models. It is more about the payload which includes passenger safety when towing so we do not overload our equipment. So far, I am unimpressed with the Navigation My Touch product. For me it lacks responsiveness and intuitive design. By the way, the marketing about the great gas mileage is over stated so I resolve to have resonable gas mileage with great comfort and stellar towing capability in it's class. Happy camping.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #487
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
As a two time owner Earth I'm assuming you are aware of the HD Payload package? You mention the HD Tow pack, but that is completely different than the HD Payload pack.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #488

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwatch View Post
As a two time owner Earth I'm assuming you are aware of the HD Payload package? You mention the HD Tow pack, but that is completely different than the HD Payload pack.
He described the configuration of the truck that makes up the HD Payload package since he specified the E-rated tires. The only one that comes with factory-installed E-rated tires is HD Payload, 17" E-rated tires on 7-lug rims. The only small drawback is the long wheelbase that's also required to get HD Payload.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #489
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Squirrely F150

When towing, with my 2013 F150 twin turbo, we get pushed around when ever a tractor trailer rig passes us. We also can feel it whenever a large sedan passes us going the same direction.

I am not saying that the effect is unsafe I am saying it is very annoying and unexpected.

We previously had a Tundra and while there was a small amount of "squirrellyness" when a truck passed it was never to the degree happening with the F150.

The F150 has passenger tires, but so did the Tundra and we are using the same Hensley set up to keep the F150 level when the Airstream is hitched.

I am wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #490
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I have a Hensely as well , when the dealer moved the hitch from our previous trailer he set it up incorrectly. If you have not checked the setup of the hitch yourself I suggest you verify that it is done correctly. You can contact Hensley and they may have some advice, it is more likely the Hitch setup than the truck. Speak to them about the drop bar you are using.

BTW I have never had any "squirrellyness" with either F-150 I have towed with once I got the Hensley dialed in. I would be interested what the solution is.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #491
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
With the Hensley make sure that the two strut bars with the square adjusters are tight. They are the ones that are parallel to the A frame of the trailer. If they are loose even a little the whole thing feels awful.
Al

TAC ON-3
Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #492
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I have 150 E boost HD payload Max tow and it is a dream to drive and tow with the Hensley.
Al

TAC ON-3
Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #493
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
I have a 2013 4X4 F-150 TT V-6 with (MaxToe Pac Chrome .Max Trailer Tow .Power Heat/Sig/Tel/Fold Chrom $565) i.e. Huge Mirrors and 3.73 Electronic Lock RR Axle required($570) and Upgraded Rear Bumper, I have no idea about this. I did replace my tires with new Coopers, and had re-installed from my 2011 f-150, RoadMaster Springs…. I Free Ball YES FREE BALL my 2011 25FB … Flawless now for about 15,000 miles… all over the USA… no problems… EZ, simple, and no problems with set up or use. Don't even know most of the time when a large rig is passing …. unless I see it coming up in the huge mirror.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #494
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Labigdogs - do you have the heavy duty payload package? If you have the 6.5 foot bed and limited slip rear end (not e-locker) then you might. With this comes a stronger axle and springs.

You might consider getting the Anderson WD hitch. Its not strong on weight distribution (apparently not an issue for you) but great for sway control and porpoising.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #495
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
All good reads. I have a 2013 Eco. Where I screwed up is with the "payload". Thanks Mr. Dealer as they know nothing about towing. I should have gotten the HD towing package. While I am a little skinny with the payload capacity I am in good shape with everything else. Easy towing and little if any sway with the Pro Series WD hitch. 11-12.5mpg towing and 18+ while not towing. I do kick myself everyday about the payload issue. BTW, I have been to the dealer twice to get the oil changed at around 5000 miles and they tell me not to waste my money that these engines are designed to go at least 7500 miles between oil changes.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #496
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
ECOBoost TIRES

As I said in an earlier posting my truck is getting pushed around on the highway big time and I don't like it, and after some investigation I have narrowed the likely cause to the tires

The OEM tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires on my F150. They are passenger (P) tires.

The local Firestone/Bridgestone sales manager said today that I have the wrong tires on the truck, and I should not be towing with these tires.

I am wondering what tires others may have on their F150's?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #497
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
My 2011 F150 came with Pirelli tires but they were worn out at about 28,000 miles. I then switched to Michelins. I hope I get better mileage out of them.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #498
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Squirrely F150 2nd Posting

After some added research including talking with Hensley who said that the cause was probably that the struts were not snug. I will check that tomorrow. I got the same comment from BigAl of this forum.

I also, called my local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer since the corporate office was closed. Their assistant manager said that my F150's tires (Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, P225/55R20/115 M+S) are not suitable for the application of trailer towing, and should not be used for that purpose.

Hmmmm.

He went on to say, "They are passenger tires, will only handle the weight of the truck, and over loading the tire will cause the tire to move laterally."

Hmmmm.

Tomorrow I will speak with the help desk at Bridgestone and then I will visit with my Ford dealer.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #499
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Your tires ought to at least be rated for rear and front GVWR. You can find this on your sticker on the drivers side door opening. See what the tires can carry (printed on sidewalk of tire) and compare to the truck rating per axle.

I recently replaced my worn out tires with Michelin LT rated tires. They are rated well above my trucks axle ratings at 80 psi. I run them at 35 to 40 psi when not towing and about 50 when towing for the stiffness. The tires do not provide additional payload. I got the LTX M/S2 E rated tires. They are rated for 70,000 miles.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #500
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
After some added research including talking with Hensley who said that the cause was probably that the struts were not snug. I will check that tomorrow. I got the same comment from BigAl of this forum.

I also, called my local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer since the corporate office was closed. Their assistant manager said that my F150's tires (Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, P225/55R20/115 M+S) are not suitable for the application of trailer towing, and should not be used for that purpose.

Hmmmm.

He went on to say, "They are passenger tires, will only handle the weight of the truck, and over loading the tire will cause the tire to move laterally."

Hmmmm.

Tomorrow I will speak with the help desk at Bridgestone and then I will visit with my Ford dealer.
Hi, OK; I see the problem here and it didn't come from Ford. My 2000 F-150/ Lincoln Navigator has been towing my trailer just fine for nine years now with "P" tires. Your vehicle came with "P" tires and that is what your vehicle was rated with by Ford. "Not suitable for towing"? Give me a break. Read your Ford owner's manual and show me where it states that you must change your tires to tow. "Passenger only tires will only carry an empty truck" ????????? Are you kidding me? Your truck's ratings are with the tires that came on your truck. And yes, we all know that over loading is bad. [beyond your truck's pay load and towing specs]

Your local tire dealer should be sued and put out of business or at least the assistant manager should be fired.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Closed Thread

Tags
ecoboost, f-150