Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #575

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnichols View Post
~~
The first thing I saw in the responses is that the HD tow package is limited to a specific model and that isn't correct! After reading your question I went to the site and did a F150 EB Platinum configuration with a Super Crew cab, 6 foot bed, HD tow Package etc. So get online and build it the way you want and use the tool to locate your ride.
~~
You are conflating two different packages. The Max Tow package is available on most trim levels, but the HD Payload package is only available on the longest wheelbase of a few trim levels. HD Payload comes only with 17" wheels and LT tires, and a specific rear axle with 7-lug hubs, etc.

There is no package called HD tow from Ford on the F150. HD Payload includes Max Tow, however. HD Payload is not available on a Platinum, but I think Max Tow is.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #576
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I suggest getting the real tongue weight instead of the Airstream catalog listing that is way low, no propane in the tanks or water in the coach. Our 25FB was catalog listed at 833 pounds and was 1,150 pounds at the dealership with the Hensley hitch head, full propane tanks, some water and the awnings street side and rear. We increased to 1,175 pounds camping ready.

The real tongue weight number was what killed the eco-boost for us as I did not even have a gen set or grill or the wife in the truck let alone the other stuff I carry in the 3/4 ton truck now.

After all of our modifications to the Classic, our tongue weight is 1,347 pounds. With the truck loaded for boondockling but no food supplies in the trailer and not completely full water tank, we crossed the scales at 18,010 which is under the 20,000 GCVW.

Just saying, do thorough home work before signing the purchase contract for any TV. I had to switch away from my existing vehicle I thought could tow the 25FB, but when loaded for camping, the car was overloaded per the specifications and thus we ended up with the Dodge.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #577
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Couple of thoughts on towing, not grocery getting.. First the used Ford Excursion with a 6.0 makes a great if not one of the best tow vehicles hands down. However the 6.0 must be made bulletproof which is quite easy & common today, but it'll cost you probably around six to eight thousand dollars it have a shop do it. The bulletproof engine will last probably on the order of a half million miles. Second regarding rear axle ratio, they are changeable and not incredibly expensive, if you don't like your ratio, change it. If you have a 4x4 it will just cost more to change both R/P sets. If suspension is weak & hard, go air. Worn seats, go new glove leather in color of your choice. Only point is if you don't like what you see in the used market it can be changed and it's often as good as, and can be made in lots of ways better than new OEM, just doesn't offer that new car smell, but then that can fade quickly as you see a seemingly endless string of payments come due. BTW, only way to top a Ford EB for towing is to move up the Ford truck line with bigger dollars, F150EB rocks & the F250s & up just rock more...!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #578
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rlandis,

Payload is always an important question with 1/2 ton trucks and the tongue wt. given by Airstream is usually wrong. But if you can't find the Ford you want, other companies make trucks too and some of them have improved gas mileage a lot too. The EB seems to be working out well and is a logical choice for many people.

But there are many factors to consider: gas mileage, payload, reliability, finding the right options and trim lines. Do you use the truck as a daily driver or just for towing? Calculate your annual costs for fuel and see what difference it makes between the mileage you get with different vehicles. It may be very little difference in money. Compare this with the added cost for the EB engine and compare that to other companies trucks and their mileage and purchase costs. How long do you keep a vehicle? Diesel gets better mileage, but initial costs are much higher, so you have to keep them a very long to keep ahead. The EB cost analysis is similar, but you don't have to keep it as long as a diesel to even out.

Everybody has different needs and wants—we go for reliability first and that plays a big part in what we purchase, but others see things differently. A truck that has low reliability can cost more after the warranty runs out than you saved on fuel. Figuring out all the trim lines, options, mileage, costs over years, payloads, etc., can drive you crazy, but this is a decision that you will have to live with for a long time. Checking out truck stuff can be fun and confusing at the same time. You get to test drive all sorts of trucks in the meantime. Check Consumer Reports, Edmunds and other sources for information. Eventually the confusion will clear up and you'll be an expert.

I don't know if you are used to full size trucks. They are hard to park and maneuver in parking lots and on the street. We do it, but sometimes it is a struggle. We have 6.5' bed with a double cab (smaller than the crew cab option) and that can be a challenge. An 8' bed would be even more difficult. An 8' bed is nice for hauling plywood sheets, but if you don't do that often, I'd avoid that option no matter how good you are with driving big vehicles. I've hauled many construction materials 8' long and I just prop them up on the tailgate or tie them in with the tailgate down. There's plenty of room to fit in all the stuff you need for camping in a 6.5' bed. I'd also avoid the crew cab—it costs more and lengthens the truck or makes the bed too short—4-5'. The smaller cabs still allow 3 people in the back, or lots of cargo.

Gene
Old 05-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #579
3 Rivet Member

Dallas Center , Iowa
IMO the most important safety consideration is payload. Regardless of what rear axle, cab style or bed length, it is the payload that will get you there safely along with "E" rated tires. By the time you load the pickup cab with people and things, load the pickup bed, load the trailer as in "camping ready", throw on whichever hitch you choose, unless you have the "max tow package" you will be over-weight at the tongue and the GVWR without question.

Of course the argument some would make is that it depends on your camper tongue weight which is temporarily true (most often under-stated), at least until you want to get something a little heavier and then you either can't do it, choose to drive over-weight or have to replace the pickup. Buy the "max tow package" if you intend to use the F150. The eco-boost has all the tow/pulling power you will ever need and the rear axle will address your gas mileage and speed off the line for towing torque but again, PAYLOAD has the keys to the Kingdom. Just my opinion.

Happy Campin'!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #580

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
IMO the most important safety consideration is payload. Regardless of what rear axle, cab style or bed length, it is the payload that will get you there safely along with "E" rated tires. By the time you load the pickup cab with people and things, load the pickup bed, load the trailer as in "camping ready", throw on whichever hitch you choose, unless you have the "max tow package" you will be over-weight at the tongue and the GVWR without question.

Of course the argument some would make is that it depends on your camper tongue weight which is temporarily true (most often under-stated), at least until you want to get something a little heavier and then you either can't do it, choose to drive over-weight or have to replace the pickup. Buy the "max tow package" if you intend to use the F150. The eco-boost has all the tow/pulling power you will ever need and the rear axle will address your gas mileage and speed off the line for towing torque but again, PAYLOAD has the keys to the Kingdom. Just my opinion.

Happy Campin'!
HD Payload Package. Not Max Tow. They are two different packages, and Max Tow doesn't improve the payload rating, but it is included in the HD Payload package with the Ecoboost.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #581
3 Rivet Member

Dallas Center , Iowa
Woops, exactly!! HD Tow for the Payload.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #582
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Just towed my classic 28' with my 2012 F150 eco-boost with a 150lb generator and 300 pound dog box in the bed. No issues at all with power, sway and 15mpg per gallon Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400194850.226496.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	745.6 KB
ID:	211997
Old 05-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #583
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Thumbs up F150 Echoboost Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
You are conflating two different packages. The Max Tow package is available on most trim levels, but the HD Payload package is only available on the longest wheelbase of a few trim levels. HD Payload comes only with 17" wheels and LT tires, and a specific rear axle with 7-lug hubs, etc.

There is no package called HD tow from Ford on the F150. HD Payload includes Max Tow, however. HD Payload is not available on a Platinum, but I think Max Tow is.
We purchased the Platinum 2012 F150 Supercab 4X4 Echoboost; it has the 3.53 and the 6 speed auto...works well for towing the 25' AS, and also gets reasonable mileage if you keep you foot off the gas. This rig rides very nice, has plenty of torque and pulling power, and you do not need the 3.73 with the 6 speed, IMHO...several dealers I talked with agree...so should not be an issue. Also, I did not get the "off road" package; I drove both but the off roadrides very stiff compared to the standard 4x4 ride...Wife and I are amazed at the quite and comfort of this pickup, which has so much torque and still hauls up to 10K pounds...I agree with other comments on this TV...this is a winner for pulling the AS.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #584
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMerridy View Post
Just towed my classic 28' with my 2012 F150 eco-boost with a 150lb generator and 300 pound dog box in the bed. No issues at all with power, sway and 15mpg per gallon Attachment 211997
Your riding "BullDog" as in your back suspension looks very compressed with less weight over the steering axel...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 05-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #585
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Thanks. I noticed that too and took it to the shop and had the trailer hitch adjusted up to it is more balanced like a balanced titter totter.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #586
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Raising the hitch height will not change weight distribution to the front axle enough. It may level the trailer, but not the truck. Adjusting the wd hitch is the answer. After rereading maybe that is what you meant by having the hitch adjusted up. Sorry if I misunderstood. Jim
Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #587
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Thanks. I'm taking it to a different shop again. The guys at the local shop just adjusted the ball higher and left the weight distribution adjustment as is.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #588
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400248007.281916.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	705.3 KB
ID:	212032 here is a picture

Tags
ecoboost, f-150