Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #547
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Right after they hit mainstream the ecoboosts started having issues with sucking in rainwater in storms which bogged the turbo down, etc. They have corrected that. It was an issue reported several times on the ecoboost forum. That could be a reported reliability concern that impacted the rating as well. I am a Ford fan (at least in American makes). Gene, I recently took a look and drive of the Tundra. I like the interior but I believe the payload topped out at 1700 or so in the 4dr model package. I am STILL waiting to see that aluminum F150 this fall!

Old 04-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #548
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Microsoft was handling some of the electronics. Ford has dumped them and went with a company that has been doing auto electronics for a long time so those issues will be ironed out quickly.

Fords can be confusing to build as they offer so many options. Important to connect with a salesperson who know their trucks and specify your needs. If you cover payload then just about everything else comes with the package.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #549
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I picked up our 2013 25FB International Serenity in October of 2012, the factory literature tongue weight was 833 pounds. We had the few standard options that dealers install plus street side and rear ZipDee awnings and a 155 watt solar panel and controller. After attaching the Hensley hitch, the tongue weight was 1,150 pounds. At 6,990 pounds camping ready with full fresh water tank and five gallons of slosh water and tank chemical in each of the the gray and black tanks, the tongue weight was 1,175 pounds.

That is when the real numbers made my 2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI diesel (had been to CanAm for hitch reinforcement) ineligible to continue as our tow vehicle as the front axle was overloaded and the GVW of the car was exceeded let alone the suggested gross weight of the trailer. The car did not have any generators, grill and tank or any other camping gear in it at that time.

Thus our migration to the 2012 Dodge 2500HD with Cummins diesel to get the necessary tongue weight capacity (now 2,550 pounds), cargo capacity and total trailer plus tow vehicle capacity in line with out Classic model 30.

Now we can use the Post Office motto,l "If it fits in, it ships or gets towed."

Get the real numbers off a truck or other desired tow vehicle on a dealership lot to be sure the tow vehicle has the capacity necessary for the job. A previous post mentioned the dealership casually said 400 pounds overload is no big deal. Have them put that in writing so if a warranty issue does occur, you would have proof that overloading was okay.

You will not get that letter and your vehicle record may now have a comment in it that the vehicle is routinely towing overloaded which could preclude warranty repairs on the driveline.

Many companies go to extreme lengths today to deny warranty claims.

Just saying......

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 04-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #550
Drag&Fly

1988 29' Excella
Collierville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to md11flyer
Thumbs up New to the Forum and my 2012 Ford EB

In May of 2012 I traded in my 2004 Expedition because of a perceived need for a PU. That expectation has proven valid in the past two years. At the time of purchase I did not envision buying an Airstream but if I had i would have made a couple of revisions in my order on the Ford. First, I wanted better gas mileage and I have got that with a consistent 21-22 mpg hwy and as hi as 25+ with tailwinds. I keep detailed records of mileage and gas purchases. When the opportunity to purchase an Airstream presented itself, I did knowing that I had the power to tow and my mileage would decline. Last week I towed my (new to me)1988 Excella empty (maybe 5000#) home, roughly 600 miles. The RV came with an EAZ Lift Anti Sway unit and it worked exceptionally well. When I initially stepped on the gas of my TV I was amazed that with less than 1000 rpm indicated we were moving! That right there was evidence of the exceptional torque in the EB engine. Soon I was on the highway at 65 headed home. My mileage for that trip was 11.6 mpg cruising at 62-65 praying for tailwinds; that's the aviator in my I guess.
My F150 is the Super Crew model with 157" WB, 6.5 ft box, 3.15 rear end and the standard tow package. If I were to do it again,knowing an Airstream was in my future, I would have opted for the heavy duty tow package and a 3.55 rear. My current Ford is rated at 8400# maximum loaded trailer weight and the Excella is listed GVWR of 6800#. I should be good.
To date I have put over 37000 miles on my F150 with zero service issues except required oil changes. I only use AMSOIL 100% synthetic. At a later date I may consider upgrading the exhaust system and chip but right now it does the job very well.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #551
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Re:
Pushed around......
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
When towing, with my 2013 F150 twin turbo, we get pushed around when ever a tractor trailer rig passes us. We also can feel it whenever a large sedan passes us going the same direction.

Though I love my EcoBoost SuperCrew - it is the "twitchiest" handling pickup I have ever had. Trailer attached or not................
__________________________________________________ ______________

I noticed this post and I thought I would mention that if you are getting pushed around that easily then your weight distribution system is not likely set up very well. Can you post a picture of your hitch set up?

Twitchyness; F150's come with some very soft sidewall tires and the handling can be quite dramatically improved with a better size and construction. What size do you have on your twitchy one?

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 04-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #552
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Gene, I recently took a look and drive of the Tundra. I like the interior but I believe the payload topped out at 1700 or so in the 4dr model package.
Sounds about right. There are several 4 door versions and trim lines. Payload for ours in somewhere between 1,500 and 1,600 lbs. (can't remember the exact number). Toyota shows no interest in producing a 3/4 ton or a diesel, so I doubt we'll see better payloads. We probably use all of it.

Switz, tongue weight is a problem if you rely on what Airstream says. I have seen different weights for the same model, same year, in company literature. Our '08 Safari 25' FB is probably pretty much the same trailer as yours except for the trim line. The literature for ours was 720 lbs. tongue weight and later I saw a higher number for the same trailer. In later years the company had a 3rd weight listed for the 25' FB Flying Cloud, the same trailer as ours. It appears the company does not include propane in the tanks or the spare tire in calculating tongue weight, or perhaps didn't in '07 when the '08's came out.

Gene
Old 04-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #553
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Gene,
I believe Toyota plans to equip Tundra with 5.0 liter V8 Cummins engine. I am not sure when exactly it will be produced though.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #554

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Gene,
I believe Toyota plans to equip Tundra with 5.0 liter V8 Cummins engine. I am not sure when exactly it will be produced though.
I think you may be confusing Titan and Tundra. The Titan is the one for which I've read several articles about the V8 Cummins.

EDIT: and then I search for that specifically and see that Toyota recently made a similar announcement. I hadn't heard that one at all, but I've been hearing about Nissan using that engine for months now.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #555
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I think you may be confusing Titan and Tundra. The Titan is the one for which I've read several articles about the V8 Cummins.
I think that's right. Toyota has diesel engines for their HiLux trucks, so it would unlikely they would have to buy from Cummins. Toyota thought they would sell twice as many Tundras as they have. Maybe they don't want to invest more in the full sized truck market. They update them modestly, but that's it. They have upgraded the Tacoma significantly—it is really pretty much the first generation Tundra—and I think they sell a lot of those compared to the Tundra. I'm disappointed about the way the Tundra has been developed over the years, and even if you are a Ford or GM or Dodge guy, competition from Toyota has made all brands better.

Gene
Old 04-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #556
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I read that Toyota would be using the exact same engine Cummins is selling to Nissan for Titan. A Tundra with Cummins engine and possibly a bit more payload would be an awesome truck.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #557
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
You guys need to start a Toyota/Tundra and V8 Cummins thread add the words 3/4 ton and diesel.....
this is Ford F150 3.5L Eco Boost ---- Thread ..... 1/2 Ton..... Ford..... F-150..... 3.5L Eco Boost..... Gas Burner.... Just saying... because like you I get e-mails to read about a Forum I care about... I don't care about the others.... Today they are all Awesome Trucks .... I just want to read about what I subscribed to here, don't mean to be selfish, just think this is how it was indented to work.
Thanks guys - Mark
Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #558
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mark,

Threads wander, especially when everything that has been said has been said. For more on hijacking, see the definitive thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...ing-24723.html

Gene
Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #559
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Threads wander, especially when everything that has been said has been said.
And yet he does have a point, Gene. At the top of this thread is does say "Ford F150 3.5L Eco Boost" and not Toyota Tundra or whatever.

How about we try to get back on topic for a while..?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #560
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
I promise, this post isn't out of laziness....it's out of confusion.

I'm about to buy a '12 27FB Int'l. I'm a bachelor, and will be traveling w/my Border Collie mix, who weighs 49lbs. Other than him, I'm on my own, and an occasional visiting girlfriend.

I THINK I want to buy a Ford F-150 ecoboost, 4x4, 3.73, Max Tow Pkg, Max Payload. I thought I wanted a Platinum, short bed, but if I read this thread correctly, I can't get it outfitted like that.

This Ford stuff is confusing, and infuriating. Can someone please tell me the best way to get this truck outfitted, and have it include creature comforts as well. Also, is 3.73 the way to get it set up as a good TV??

Thanks.
R

Tags
ecoboost, f-150