Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #463
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Tavares , Florida & Trinidad Colorado
Echo Boost User

I traded a 2010 F250 Diesel for a 2012 F150 Echo-boost and I am please. We tow a 2007 27' FB Classic with a very similar payload to yours. We get about the same milage under tow as our diesel,10-12, but we use mid or high test so the fuel savings are not quite as great as with regular. We also average better than 18 highway (high of 20) when not towing and the cost of service is greatly reduced.
We live in CO and have pulled both Wolf Creek and Monarch pass with both rigs and while the diesels' greater torque was felt, the gas engine made the climb without any drama.
I say go for it.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #464
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
It seems like we are running out of things to say about the EB unless they start exploding.

Gene
Good Morning...I have not been on the forum for quite some time and am curious what your conclusions have been on the Ford F150 Eco Boost. Seems like some have been predicting and waiting for the Eco Boost units...used for towing...to "start blowing up"? Not happened yet? How long has the Ford EB been on the market now?...should have been out there long enough for failure patterns to have shown up by now??

BTW...is Eco Boost just another name for "turbo" or is it a different technology completely?

Seems like each truck manufacturer is trying to get a strong 150 pickup into the market with good performance and 20mpg+? May offer the towing market in general nice choices somewhat "above" the "old" 150 class...and just below the typical 250/diesel class??...w/o the 250/diesel class disadvantages.

Thanks...TomR

Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #465

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post

~
BTW...is Eco Boost just another name for "turbo" or is it a different technology completely?
~
Ecoboost is a brand name for turbo+ direct injection. In concert these technologies allow them to coerce the engine to make plenty of torque at low rpm and maintain that through most of the rpm range. A fat, flat torque curve is great for towing.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #466
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ecoboost is a brand name for turbo+ direct injection. In concert these technologies allow them to coerce the engine to make plenty of torque at low rpm and maintain that through most of the rpm range. A fat, flat torque curve is great for towing.
Thanks for the clarification. My only turbo experience was a 1997 Volvo with a 246HP inline 5 cyl with an inter-cooled turbo. Volvo was relatively early to the turbo market and had made a number of improvement even b4 my '97. I drove it for 10 years and just under 200K miles with NO issues at all...it was a great engine. My Volvo's turbo technology is not more than 15 years old. I would guess that turbo technology is extremely well "sorted" out by now .

Question/challenge posed early on this forum was related to the stress of towing with the turbo...specifically the Eco Boost. There was fear (certainty?) that they would "blow up" after towing for some time. Just curious if the many owners posting have had any major issues with EB reliability?? Note: way too long a thread to read the whole thread...need the Cliff Notes version Thanks...TomR
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #467

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. My only turbo experience was a 1997 Volvo with a 246HP inline 5 cyl with an inter-cooled turbo. Volvo was relatively early to the turbo market and had made a number of improvement even b4 my '97. I drove it for 10 years and just under 200K miles with NO issues at all...it was a great engine. My Volvo's turbo technology is not more than 15 years old. I would guess that turbo technology is extremely well "sorted" out by now .

Question/challenge posed early on this forum was related to the stress of towing with the turbo...specifically the Eco Boost. There was fear (certainty?) that they would "blow up" after towing for some time. Just curious if the many owners posting have had any major issues with EB reliability?? Note: way too long a thread to read the whole thread...need the Cliff Notes version Thanks...TomR
There are 8 members of my WBCCI unit with Ecoboosts of various ages and configurations. One couple with a 2011 have 90k miles on it, 25k of which is towing (we were discussing this last weekend) and except for the intercooler update that was needed for the 2011s and an occasional hard 1-2 shift at light loads/part throttle they have had no problems with it at all. This is a "Max Tow" 4x4, so it's got the 3.73 rear diff. They have a 25' CCD and a 1954 Cruiser. I don't know of any problem that the other 7 trucks have had.

Granted that's a small sample, but all of these people are towing with them, and some are towing heavy with them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #468
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
The EcoBoost engine is great as will the new 3.0 diesel that Ram has come out with, the possible issue would be with the GVWR of the tow vehicle.
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #469
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Does GM have an equivalent engine yet? I'm looking at replacing our Suburban and diesel 2500's are pretty expensive, around 50k.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #470
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
Does GM have an equivalent engine yet? I'm looking at replacing our Suburban and diesel 2500's are pretty expensive, around 50k.
GM is already out with "all new" 2014 1500 pickup line and just announced a "matching" new suburban and Tahoe line dated 2015 that will begin shipping in early? 2014...based upon the same frame et al on the new 2014 1500 series.

I think they call their new engine Eco Tech...and claim "max 1500 class tow capacity". Seems like they have pretty much matched (and I am sure they will say - surpassed the Ford

BTW...$50K may define many of your choices in these new vehicles...I think GM says "average" suburban price around $50K? Also, still no diesel in suburban.

I do think the 1500 class pickups offer some better choices than they did 5+ years ago...both MPG and tow capacity...with the GVWR caveat mentioned above (and often)...likely need to review carefully...

TomR
Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #471
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The real payload numbers are the achilles heel for 1/2 ton pickups.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 09-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #472
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Good Morning...I have not been on the forum for quite some time and am curious what your conclusions have been on the Ford F150 Eco Boost. Seems like some have been predicting and waiting for the Eco Boost units...used for towing...to "start blowing up"? Not happened yet? How long has the Ford EB been on the market now?...should have been out there long enough for failure patterns to have shown up by now??

Seems like each truck manufacturer is trying to get a strong 150 pickup into the market with good performance and 20mpg+? May offer the towing market in general nice choices somewhat "above" the "old" 150 class...and just below the typical 250/diesel class??...w/o the 250/diesel class disadvantages.

Thanks...TomR
I have owned my 2012 ford f150 supercrew 4x4 max tow pickup for one year. It has just over 20k miles on it, almost 4k towing. This summer we took two long trips (long for me, I still have to work). One trip to south Texas (Texas hill country) then on to far west Texas (Davis mountains). Second trip to Northwest Arkansas (Orzark mountains and Buffalo river). All of these areas have some challenging grades.The tow/haul mode works as advertised, I never had to hard brake going down an incline. The eco boost engine responded with great torque at very low RPM. The gas mileage towing was about 12-13 mpg. Still waiting for it to Blow UP, so I can use that 7 year-100k mile warranty(not really). I think I'm pleased.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #473
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:

It seems like we are running out of things to say about the EB unless they start exploding.

Gene
And they are still not exploding. Good.

The miles are starting to pile up on the first EB's and so far, no significant problems or even small explosions.

With Chevy and hopefully other manufacturers soon increasing gas mileage, we still have a long way to go on that to meet future mileage requirements. I'm hoping to keep our truck until there are large increases in mileage—don't want to buy anything that is obsolete in a couple of years.

Gene
Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #474
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
And they are still not exploding. Good.

The miles are starting to pile up on the first EB's and so far, no significant problems or even small explosions.

With Chevy and hopefully other manufacturers soon increasing gas mileage, we still have a long way to go on that to meet future mileage requirements. I'm hoping to keep our truck until there are large increases in mileage—don't want to buy anything that is obsolete in a couple of years.

Gene
Hi, Gene; I think that ended with the Ford Model "T". Changes are always being made so that you wish you waited for one more year to get them.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #475
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Good morning all,

This is the lesser 1/2 of ShullsinUtah as my wife normally does most of the posting here. We recently just bought our Airstream (25' '06 Safari SE) and a brand new 2013 F-150 ecoboost equipped with the Max tow package to pull it. We also bought a Husky Center-line Weight Distribution Hitch. The Dry weight of the Trailer is 5210 lbs and GVWR is 7300 lbs. With the Truck rated for a max loaded trailer weight of 11,300 lbs and a GCWR of 17,000, I think these numbers give us a sufficient margin of safety and we aren't bumping up against the top end of the specifications for the vehicle. Getting a "fully loaded" truck and trailer to the truck stop scales is on the to do list, but seeing as we've had the combo for less than a week now and that we've had company since we got back, I haven't check that box of my list. Yet.

We made our first run with the trailer and TV from the Phoenix area back to Utah this past weekend. I have been a Chevy man my whole life, and for someone with practically zero experience pulling a trailer of this size, I will say the truck performed beautifully.

We pulled off the lot into rush hour traffic with the outside temps in the 90-95 deg range. We had no issue with the heat or the traffic. The next day we traveled from the Phoenix area up highway 93 towards Las Vegas, NV. This was a good choice for the first real run with the truck. It was mostly wide open 2 lane highway with very little traffic. It has a moderate amount of up and down, which the truck handled beautifully. From the Vegas area, we headed up I-15 towards Salt Lake. It worked out to roughly 700 miles on our first trip.

For those unfamiliar with those roads, there are several long uphill grades along I-15, including the Virgin River Gorge, and "Black Mountain" between St. George, Ut and Cedar City, Ut. There are also stretches of legal 80 mph interstate on this route. I think that the truck trailer combo might have done that, but the drivers max comfort zone was in the 65 mph range (I'm stupid, but not dumb). However, the truck was so smooth towing that I inadvertently bumped over the 65/70 mph range a couple of times on the way home. I think our average miles was in the 12+ mpg range while towing.

While everyone here has been mainly focused on the pure GVW, towing capacity, payload capacity, I found those weren't the things that helped me the most while towing the trailer. While looking for a trailer and TV, I drove a few different 1/2 ton trucks (but not the Dodge FWIW) and where the Ford had them beat, outside of the pure "specs" is the "intelligence" built into the vehicle. For example, the tuck has a built in accelerometer that knows your angle of assent/descent. No big deal, right? Well, no. So when you engage the tow/haul mode on the truck, and the truck starts sensing your descending a "steep" grade it will automatically start downshifting for you, helping you maintain a safe speed without having to over apply the brakes. There is also a transmission temp readout on the dash in Deg F (along with a gauge). Despite the long, steep grades and warm temps when we pulled off the lot, the highest I saw the tranny temp read was 203 Deg F, with the gauge never getting about just below 1/2 way. I've noted temps of the transmission run in the high 180's-low 190's when not towing.

There is also an instantaneous visual display on how much trailer brake is being applied in real time (which gives you the option to adjust your trailer brake controller on the fly if you so desire). Along with that, there is a "trailer checklist" that you can customize (conventional, 5th wheel, etc) that makes sure you've done all the little things you need to do before you start rolling (it even has the ability to name different trailers). The vehicle also has a backup camera (rear view mirror display) with 4 zoom levels on it that really helps when trying to line up with the hitch. That might not be a big deal to you long time towers, but for a rookie like me, every little thing like that helps. One thing I did wish it has was the ability to integrate a backup camera on the trailer to the rear view display on the rear view mirror. You can't have everything I guess....

Well these are my first impressions of the vehicle under our specific and limited use to this point. If anyone one has any questions, I'll do my best to answer. As it pains me to say it, I think this Chevy man has been converted at this point.

Oh yes, some obligatory pretty scenery from out trip home...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05600-001.JPG
Views:	2725
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	196927  
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #476
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
28 footer with slide out - those slide outs are HEAVY - way too much tongue weight for an F-150/1500!!!

**I Love U.S.A.**
Closed Thread

Tags
ecoboost, f-150