Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #449
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I drive over 1,500-miles weekly. Just finished a 2,700-mile week. From deserted west Texas to some of the biggest cities in North America. The day I consistently see pickup drivers in 6,000-lb F150s (or other models/brands) maintain a greater following distance on the highways than those in cars with far better stopping distance and general handling performance, I'll mention it. Or that they are likelier to slow down earlier in inclement weather, on roads with bad sightlines, etc.

There is no appreciable difference to be seen in the way they are driven. It's rare enough to see that it is memorable. And accident statistics bear it out.

A safe following distance to maintain is:

4 to 6 seconds below 30 mph and 6 to 8 seconds above 30 mph.

To determine your following distance, pick a point the car in front just passed over, (a pothole in the road, a shadow cast by an overpass etc). Count one thousand, two thousand etc. until your car reaches that point. This is your following distance in seconds.

This safety aid applies whether you're driving a 3,300 lb. Corvette or an 80,000 lb. Peterbilt.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #450
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Air Cloud View Post
A safe following distance to maintain is:

4 to 6 seconds below 30 mph and 6 to 8 seconds above 30 mph.

To determine your following distance, pick a point the car in front just passed over, (a pothole in the road, a shadow cast by an overpass etc). Count one thousand, two thousand etc. until your car reaches that point. This is your following distance in seconds.

This safety aid applies whether you're driving a 3,300 lb. Corvette or an 80,000 lb. Peterbuilt.
Hi, that won't work around here; For every one thousand you count, three cars will fill that gap.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #451
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, that won't work around here; For every one thousand you count, three cars will fill that gap.
I was going to say the same thing Bob! It is that way in Florida except they may be dragging a 40 FT SOB trying to get into a 30 FT gap.
Regards,
Joe
Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #452
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Quote:

Agreed - same here....
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 05-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #453
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Georgia
Quote:

I understand what you describe. It happens.

I also think you understand the risks involved, when closing the gap, to prevent other drivers from getting in front of you.

Safe driving actually does work in southern California; it works in northeast Maine, and every state in between.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #454
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I have found that most people drive 2 to 3 mph over the limit. I have taken to driving about 2 mph under the limit. That way the gap in front of me is always getting larger and I do not worry about passing and I have not been rear ended yet. When I started 40 plus years ago there was a minimum speed limit on e-ways of 45 mph. Anyone that says that you have to keep up with the flow of traffic is only adding to the problem. Oh, I am sorry, I forgot that this is about the Ford 150 Ecoboost. Safety is still safety no matter what we are driving.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #455
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I have found that most people drive 2 to 3 mph over the limit. I have taken to driving about 2 mph under the limit. That way the gap in front of me is always getting larger and I do not worry about passing and I have not been rear ended yet. When I started 40 plus years ago there was a minimum speed limit on e-ways of 45 mph. Anyone that says that you have to keep up with the flow of traffic is only adding to the problem. Oh, I am sorry, I forgot that this is about the Ford 150 Ecoboost. Safety is still safety no matter what we are driving.
^^
X2

At 5mph under the posted limit I don't think we passed more than five vehicles on a 5200mi cross country trip.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #456
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Speed habits differ in different parts of the country. In Colorado, people tend to drive 5-15 miles over the limit on expressways, but along the densely populated Front Range, you can't leave much space in front of you, or someone will fill that space. You can go slower and slower, and then they pass you on both sides if they can and fill that space. The safest thing is to drive with the prevailing speed on the road. But we don't tow above 65, so with 75 mph limits on the interstates and some other expressways, I just hope for the best. Stay alert and hope to get through the traffic. When we have 3 lanes in one direction, the center lane is the safest. The right lane has sudden slow downs when traffic enters and leaves and the left lane is too fast. Large trucks often use the center lane too.

California has a 55 limit for trailers (trucks and travel trailers) and with everyone else going 65 or higher, there are often very different speeds in different lanes, so the vehicles with trailers tend to drive about 5-10 miles faster than 65 to not interrupt the traffic flow. Big differences between lanes tends to cause problems especially when someone pulls out of the slow lane and has to accelerate fast to get into the passing lane. Colorado sets limits influenced by prevailing traffic flow because you can't fight the flow.

Sometimes I see a clump of cars in all lanes going at the limit or 1 or 2 mph slower or faster. That usually means a cop is sitting in one lane around the limit and everyone is afraid to pass them. The traffic gets closer and closer together with no good spaces between them and the situation is set up for an accident as people try to maneuver to get around the cop at 1 mph faster than him. This doesn't apply in Denver where the cops drive like maniacs because they can.

It seems like we are running out of things to say about the EB unless they start exploding.

Gene
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #457
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
When the gap fills in front of one, one slows. That is the choice. Luckily, Americans are morons and drive in packs. One can anticipate what they will do as they overtake one, and with a bit of trafffic management skill, get them all around and gone when on rural highways.

As to the EB comparisons to the naturally-aspirated motor FORDS and competing brands per average fuel consumption -- neither highs nor lows, but all gallons consumed -- will eventually show how frugal this is as a design against a background of longevity nd reliability. Numbers that may still be five years out.

Transmissions of eight, nine or ten gears may well make this approach -- the EB -- seem too expensive in operational terms.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #458
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
When the gap fills in front of one, one slows. That is the choice. Luckily, Americans are morons and drive in packs. One can anticipate what they will do as they overtake one, and with a bit of trafffic management skill, get them all around and gone when on rural highways.

As to the EB comparisons to the naturally-aspirated motor FORDS and competing brands per average fuel consumption -- neither highs nor lows, but all gallons consumed -- will eventually show how frugal this is as a design against a background of longevity nd reliability. Numbers that may still be five years out.

Transmissions of eight, nine or ten gears may well make this approach -- the EB -- seem too expensive in operational terms.

SM,

This should really drive us crazy..literally.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

RLC
Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #459
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Just wait until such vehicles are given a form of right-of-way. And they will. Rather like commercial aircraft over private if one is familiar with such. IOW, not the vehicle, but it's owners status will be the determinant. This will be in the mix of black boxes by insurance or other requirements by statute.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 06-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #460
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Well we could just choose a dedicated driver.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 09-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #461
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Towed our 2008. 28' International just under 6000 miles this summer. The tow vehicle is a 2013, F150 Ecoboost. The truck did great. 12.5 MPG. Smooth ride with zero problems. The F150 now has 12,000 miles.

IMHO the 150 tows smother then our 5.7 V8 Tundra that we sold after too many high cost problems including: rebuilt transmission, and starter. It needed a new drive shaft and fuel pump. With 112,000 on the odometer a fuel pump might be expected, but a drive shaft, really.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #462
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
And you bought (arguably) American Made! Excellent choice!

Tags
ecoboost, f-150