Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #561

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The most luxurious trim on which you can get HD Payload is the Lariat. HD payload is not available with a short bed, your choices are Regular Cab or Super Cab with an 8' bed, or SuperCrew with a 6.5' bed.

Odds are high you'll have to order the truck you're talking about... you'll at least have to search for it. The truck will be LONG, especially the SuperCab long-bed. HD Payload includes Max Tow by default, so to get HD Payload you'll automatically get a 3.73 differential (mechanical limited-slip, in fact.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
I promise, this post isn't out of laziness....it's out of confusion.

I'm about to buy a '12 27FB Int'l. I'm a bachelor, and will be traveling w/my Border Collie mix, who weighs 49lbs. Other than him, I'm on my own, and an occasional visiting girlfriend.

I THINK I want to buy a Ford F-150 ecoboost, 4x4, 3.73, Max Tow Pkg, Max Payload. I thought I wanted a Platinum, short bed, but if I read this thread correctly, I can't get it outfitted like that.

This Ford stuff is confusing, and infuriating. Can someone please tell me the best way to get this truck outfitted, and have it include creature comforts as well. Also, is 3.73 the way to get it set up as a good TV??

Thanks.
R

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #562
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Probably the best thing to do is go to a dealership and take a look at the payload rating (sticker on driver side door) for some trucks you might like. A payload of 1,500 to 1,600 ought to be plenty for two adults, a dog, your trailer and some stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #563
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:

I'm about to buy a '12 27FB Int'l.
I THINK I want to buy a Ford F-150 ecoboost, 4x4, 3.73, Max Tow Pkg, Max Payload.
R
Perfect set-up. You should be able to find this in the Lariat model with all the buzzes and whistles. Back-up camera is nice if you're solo.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #564
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
yes -- definately get the backup camera option. I bought a 2013 F150 ecoboost max-tow,max-cargo shortcab longbed (only available in XLT :-P) and desperately looking at post-purchase options... tennis balls on sticks is not a fun way to hitch up solo...
Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #565
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Not happy about buying new

I'll never find the truck outfitted like you guys are suggesting, without ordering, which obviously means NEW. I usually buy very young, with plenty of warranty, but used, which means someone else took the hit.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #566
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I believe all the Echoboosts that tow come with 3.73. I have a very light foot and the EB tows so well the 3.55 rear ends would probably work. Be nice to pick up a few more MPG when not towing.

Never enough payload so pay attention to that first and foremost.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #567

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
I'll never find the truck outfitted like you guys are suggesting, without ordering, which obviously means NEW. I usually buy very young, with plenty of warranty, but used, which means someone else took the hit.
Then you probably need great patience, or a used 3/4 ton truck. If you're planning to keep it a long time, the difference won't matter. You'll pay more up front for a 3/4 ton, but it'll probably be worth more when you've been using it for years.

I have a 2nd-hand F150, and it's fine for my vintage 24' Argosy but I had to put a lot of effort into finding a fairly high-spec truck with even a 3.55 limited-slip diff and the 5.4L (mine's a 2007, bought in early 2011.) I'm renovating a 28' Argosy and I'd like a few more gears in the transmission, so I've pretty much resigned myself to ordering a 2016 F150 to my specs and keeping it for 8-10 years. (My car is an '05 I bought new to get just what I wanted, by the way... it's not a new concept for me.) As long as you're not trading vehicles every 3 years buying a new one isn't that big of a hit, it's making a habit of buying them every few years that'll cost you.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #568
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, likewise; I don't think I will be able to find what I want used either and will most likely have to buy/order new. My Lincoln is still doing good, but I want/need a pickup. [F-150]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #569
3 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
FYI the best money I have spent on my truck by far has been the addition of Hellwig front and rear sway bars. The truck feels planted and stable at all speed. If anyone wants to know more about this 450 dollar upgrade and a few hours of work please read the following write up. Product Review: Hellwig Anti-Sway Bars - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #570
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
'll never find the truck outfitted like you guys are suggesting, without ordering, which obviously means NEW. I usually buy very young, with plenty of warranty, but used, which means someone else took the hit.
Don't be so sure. I was shopping for a tow vehicle, an F-150 in white with tan interior I said, one month later they had a Certified Preowned in excellent shape and low miles, tow pkg and I paid $24K for a 2009 in Oct 2011. Consider too that I have a 980 lb tongue weight on my unit as per the CAT scales based on full LP. My regular tow package (not HD tow) is rated for 1548 lbs and 1050 at the receiver. My AS tongue is rated at 860 lbs. I am still within limits.

It depends on how much payload you will have in the truck beyond your tongue weight. Traveling alone with a dog you might be fine with a reg tow package and that alone would open up a great many more possibilities. The international 27' is rated at 770lbs which is about 100lbs less than my model. We know that figure is relative but you have more leeway than I do. Any F-150 you look at, be sure to look inside the door for the payload rating. It is usually an obvious number on a sticker. I believe the new ones go up to 1700 lbs on a non HD package in the Supercrew (4dr) with 6.5' bed. The rumors say that the new 2015 model will have increased ratings due to lower truck weight. We will see.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #571
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Have the dealer start a search -- the truck I am in has everything I wanted except for the backup camera; and it was found on a lot in Buffalo New York and dealer-transferred to Richmond for my sale. Everything else though -- size, engine, ratio, ammenities, max haul max cargo, all what I sought.

Ian
Old 05-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #572
Whtesocks

2014 31' Classic
Crane , Missouri
Build your own Ford truck on line

Just went to the Ford web site and built a Platinum F150 EB with the Super Crew 6 foot bed with the HD tow package. You can play with the options but if you choose the EB engine, 4X4, and 3.73 differential you will get the 700A trim, which includes the HD tow package.

I choose the XLT to get the cloth seats, which you can't get on the Platinum and I prefer the backup camera setup in the rearview mirror vs the dash in the Platinum.

Anyway I have a 31 foot Classic that I pull with my 2013 F150 EB XLT 4X2, which has a 17,230 lb combined weight capability. For your Airstream selection the F150 EB is very capable with the HD tow package.

Once you have your Ford configured the web site then will locate the dealer that has your configuration and put you in contact with them.

I will close with three suggestions:

1. Choose the smaller wheels so you can get the LT tires. The Platinum will automatically put in 20" wheels. The LT isn't made in the 20" size.

2. Buy a good equalizer hitch for you TV.

3. Not needed but I added Firestone air bags to mitigate the up and down oscillations to get on rough roads.

Have fun!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #573
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Thank you

Thank you all for those great suggestions. I'm actually buying the AS on June 1, the day after my house closes...but I don't pick it up until Aug 5--so, I have a little time to try and find a used TT.

I was tempted by a low mileage '05 Excursion, but that 6.0 gets slammed every time I read a review.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #574
Whtesocks

2014 31' Classic
Crane , Missouri
F150 EB with HD tow package

Go to,the Ford web site and build your own F150 and then source the product to a dealer near you. When I purchased my 2013 F150 EB I first did the configuration online and with that located my truck.

The first thing I saw in the responses is that the HD tow package is limited to a specific model and that isn't correct! After reading your question I went to the site and did a F150 EB Platinum configuration with a Super Crew cab, 6 foot bed, HD tow Package etc. So get online and build it the way you want and use the tool to locate your ride.

I would add to your list of things to have is a good equalizer hitch and air bags to mitigate the up and down oscillations on bumpy roads.

The HD tow package will give you more than enough weight and tow capacity for the vehicle you will be towing!

Have fun!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #575

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnichols View Post
~~
The first thing I saw in the responses is that the HD tow package is limited to a specific model and that isn't correct! After reading your question I went to the site and did a F150 EB Platinum configuration with a Super Crew cab, 6 foot bed, HD tow Package etc. So get online and build it the way you want and use the tool to locate your ride.
~~
You are conflating two different packages. The Max Tow package is available on most trim levels, but the HD Payload package is only available on the longest wheelbase of a few trim levels. HD Payload comes only with 17" wheels and LT tires, and a specific rear axle with 7-lug hubs, etc.

There is no package called HD tow from Ford on the F150. HD Payload includes Max Tow, however. HD Payload is not available on a Platinum, but I think Max Tow is.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #576
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I suggest getting the real tongue weight instead of the Airstream catalog listing that is way low, no propane in the tanks or water in the coach. Our 25FB was catalog listed at 833 pounds and was 1,150 pounds at the dealership with the Hensley hitch head, full propane tanks, some water and the awnings street side and rear. We increased to 1,175 pounds camping ready.

The real tongue weight number was what killed the eco-boost for us as I did not even have a gen set or grill or the wife in the truck let alone the other stuff I carry in the 3/4 ton truck now.

After all of our modifications to the Classic, our tongue weight is 1,347 pounds. With the truck loaded for boondockling but no food supplies in the trailer and not completely full water tank, we crossed the scales at 18,010 which is under the 20,000 GCVW.

Just saying, do thorough home work before signing the purchase contract for any TV. I had to switch away from my existing vehicle I thought could tow the 25FB, but when loaded for camping, the car was overloaded per the specifications and thus we ended up with the Dodge.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 05-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #577
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Couple of thoughts on towing, not grocery getting.. First the used Ford Excursion with a 6.0 makes a great if not one of the best tow vehicles hands down. However the 6.0 must be made bulletproof which is quite easy & common today, but it'll cost you probably around six to eight thousand dollars it have a shop do it. The bulletproof engine will last probably on the order of a half million miles. Second regarding rear axle ratio, they are changeable and not incredibly expensive, if you don't like your ratio, change it. If you have a 4x4 it will just cost more to change both R/P sets. If suspension is weak & hard, go air. Worn seats, go new glove leather in color of your choice. Only point is if you don't like what you see in the used market it can be changed and it's often as good as, and can be made in lots of ways better than new OEM, just doesn't offer that new car smell, but then that can fade quickly as you see a seemingly endless string of payments come due. BTW, only way to top a Ford EB for towing is to move up the Ford truck line with bigger dollars, F150EB rocks & the F250s & up just rock more...!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #578
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rlandis,

Payload is always an important question with 1/2 ton trucks and the tongue wt. given by Airstream is usually wrong. But if you can't find the Ford you want, other companies make trucks too and some of them have improved gas mileage a lot too. The EB seems to be working out well and is a logical choice for many people.

But there are many factors to consider: gas mileage, payload, reliability, finding the right options and trim lines. Do you use the truck as a daily driver or just for towing? Calculate your annual costs for fuel and see what difference it makes between the mileage you get with different vehicles. It may be very little difference in money. Compare this with the added cost for the EB engine and compare that to other companies trucks and their mileage and purchase costs. How long do you keep a vehicle? Diesel gets better mileage, but initial costs are much higher, so you have to keep them a very long to keep ahead. The EB cost analysis is similar, but you don't have to keep it as long as a diesel to even out.

Everybody has different needs and wants—we go for reliability first and that plays a big part in what we purchase, but others see things differently. A truck that has low reliability can cost more after the warranty runs out than you saved on fuel. Figuring out all the trim lines, options, mileage, costs over years, payloads, etc., can drive you crazy, but this is a decision that you will have to live with for a long time. Checking out truck stuff can be fun and confusing at the same time. You get to test drive all sorts of trucks in the meantime. Check Consumer Reports, Edmunds and other sources for information. Eventually the confusion will clear up and you'll be an expert.

I don't know if you are used to full size trucks. They are hard to park and maneuver in parking lots and on the street. We do it, but sometimes it is a struggle. We have 6.5' bed with a double cab (smaller than the crew cab option) and that can be a challenge. An 8' bed would be even more difficult. An 8' bed is nice for hauling plywood sheets, but if you don't do that often, I'd avoid that option no matter how good you are with driving big vehicles. I've hauled many construction materials 8' long and I just prop them up on the tailgate or tie them in with the tailgate down. There's plenty of room to fit in all the stuff you need for camping in a 6.5' bed. I'd also avoid the crew cab—it costs more and lengthens the truck or makes the bed too short—4-5'. The smaller cabs still allow 3 people in the back, or lots of cargo.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #579
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
IMO the most important safety consideration is payload. Regardless of what rear axle, cab style or bed length, it is the payload that will get you there safely along with "E" rated tires. By the time you load the pickup cab with people and things, load the pickup bed, load the trailer as in "camping ready", throw on whichever hitch you choose, unless you have the "max tow package" you will be over-weight at the tongue and the GVWR without question.

Of course the argument some would make is that it depends on your camper tongue weight which is temporarily true (most often under-stated), at least until you want to get something a little heavier and then you either can't do it, choose to drive over-weight or have to replace the pickup. Buy the "max tow package" if you intend to use the F150. The eco-boost has all the tow/pulling power you will ever need and the rear axle will address your gas mileage and speed off the line for towing torque but again, PAYLOAD has the keys to the Kingdom. Just my opinion.

Happy Campin'!
Old 05-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #580

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthcreeper View Post
IMO the most important safety consideration is payload. Regardless of what rear axle, cab style or bed length, it is the payload that will get you there safely along with "E" rated tires. By the time you load the pickup cab with people and things, load the pickup bed, load the trailer as in "camping ready", throw on whichever hitch you choose, unless you have the "max tow package" you will be over-weight at the tongue and the GVWR without question.

Of course the argument some would make is that it depends on your camper tongue weight which is temporarily true (most often under-stated), at least until you want to get something a little heavier and then you either can't do it, choose to drive over-weight or have to replace the pickup. Buy the "max tow package" if you intend to use the F150. The eco-boost has all the tow/pulling power you will ever need and the rear axle will address your gas mileage and speed off the line for towing torque but again, PAYLOAD has the keys to the Kingdom. Just my opinion.

Happy Campin'!
HD Payload Package. Not Max Tow. They are two different packages, and Max Tow doesn't improve the payload rating, but it is included in the HD Payload package with the Ecoboost.

Closed Thread

Tags
ecoboost, f-150