Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Rednax,

I often wonder why you make such a BIG deal of every post I make.

The simularities are I was pulling an Airstream, longer and heavier I might add, over a simular route with simular distances. I kept every gas receipt, and recorded every mile on every gas receipt, and yes, I converted all liters to gallons. When I got home, I divided all the miles driven by all the gallons purchased to get my miles per gallon average on the entire trip.

I have no knowledge of how the person on the Woodalls forum computed his mileage, but since he knew the exact number of miles, it seems only safe to assume he computed the exact amount of fuel he used.

This bothers me because you don't own a Ford Ecoboost, you don't own a 5.3 L GMC, and to my knowledge you don't even own an Airstream.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #240
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I often wonder why you make such a BIG deal of every post I make.

I'd have to go back and read your posts to "understand", as it isn't personal, and I hadn't previously noted what you have with this statement. But, short of that, I'd assume we have similar interests in vehicle performance . . but that our approach to that differs by depth of interest, etc.

Maybe an EB-motored TV does well or not in fuel mileage . . but there is "noise in the system" that first has to be filtered to make it an accurate statement that this is a fuel efficient vehicle or not (and not just for towing).

Past that are those with the driving skill to make a mockery of the thing. As driver skill is not easily or reliably quantifiable (except on a closed course), the details given above will "filter the noise" for those with the interest. One may not have the interest, but it doesn't change the equation, either.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #241

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
The Keystone Bullet Premier for which mileage is quoted in the linked article is about 18" taller than a 23' Airstream. That translates to a big increase in frontal area, so even if the coefficient of drag were identical between the 2 trailers there would be a lot more drag on the Keystone. The Keystone has a sloped nose, but the sharp transition to the sides is not going to be helpful for wind resistance.

Towing mileage comparisons are more meaningful with the same or a very similar trailer.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #242
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
My next truck WILL be the F150 ecoboost... That said let's talk about towing different trailers with the same truck, a 2001 F150 super crew with 5.4 engin and a 3.55 rear end. The frist trailer was a 2003 16' Areolite Cub hybred @ 2800 lbs., the second was a 1999 24' Tahoe @ 3400 lbs., and now a 1987 25' Airstream @ 6020 lbs.. With the frist two trailers I got between 11 & 12 mpg, With the Airstream I now get between 12 & 13 mpg. Let us not compare an F150 Ecoboost pulling a box type trailer to any other truck pulling an Airstream. It is my belief that any tow vehicel should never pull more than 3/4 of the factory rated towing capacite. Please excuse my spelling, it was never a strong point when I was in school 25 to 40 years ago
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #243
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Blairsville , Georgia
one more variable

Don't forget the gas used. i have found major differences between gas stations ( one or two mpg) and it gets worse depending on the time of year. In Georgia they add seasonal environmental additives to the gas, which affects the millage. Not to mention old gas does not help. High test vs. regular and last but not least the millage on the truck.
My truck millage has constantly increased as I gain additional millage. Currently at 5k miles.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #244
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
It is my belief that any tow vehicel should never pull more than 3/4 of the factory rated towing capacity.
I assume you are not applying the 3/4 factor to other towing specs. I happen to agree with your 3/4 factor for the towing spec because once you load up the TV with people, gas and gear you will probably exceed the GVWR and the RAWR (rear axle weight rating) before you are pulling a trailer that exceeds 3/4 of the max trailer tow rating. For example, I tow a 66 TW that weighs no more than 5,000 lbs loaded (about 1/2 of the trailer towing capacity for the Tundra) yet I am within about 300 lbs (under) of the rear axle weight rating for my truck (4,100 lbs).

Dan
Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #245
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
This was brought up on another forum...I never thought of this before..Ford recommends premium fuel for EB engine when towing. Around here, premium is more $ than diesel. Can any EB owners confirm this?

From the owner's manual:

3.5L V6 EcoBoostTM engine
Your vehicle is designed to run on regular fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher. For best overall performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel will be most noticeable in hot weather or in severe duty applications such as towing a trailer.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #246
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I always thought it was a requirement to run premium in any boosted application... I guess Ford found a way around that too lol. If I owned one, itd get 91 or better every fill-up!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #247

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
I always thought it was a requirement to run premium in any boosted application... I guess Ford found a way around that too lol. If I owned one, itd get 91 or better every fill-up!
Modern DI+turbo installations are much more tolerant of low-octane fuel, they'll just dial the boost, spark and/or injection timing back to prevent detonation, resulting in lower power output. Under similar conditions they'll still provide more power than you could squeeze out of lower-tech forced induction applications without risking damage, though.

I suspect Ford supports the use of regular unleaded because it's cheaper, the engine will protect itself, the type of customer who really knows what a dyno is will probably use super, and the subtype of customer who USES a dyno will definitely use super.

The majority of pickup drivers (here in Texas at least) who use their truck almost exclusively as a commuter vehicle with zero cargo will do just fine with regular, I'm sure they're never approaching the maximum output of the engine.

My older-tech car ('05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon) gets super exclusively, because while it can back off on the boost to fight detonation, once it does that it takes a while to work its way back to full boost, and I use full boost in the Subaru pretty regularly.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #248
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

I suspect Ford supports the use of regular unleaded because it's cheaper, the engine will protect itself, the type of customer who really knows what a dyno is will probably use super, and the subtype of customer who USES a dyno will definitely use super.

two tanks, virtually full of Super made not a whit's worth of difference for me....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
Old 09-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #249

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
two tanks, virtually full of Super made not a whit's worth of difference for me....
Are you saying you dyno'd the truck with and without super and it made no difference? Or are you talking about fuel mileage rather than horsepower? I wouldn't expect to see a huge mileage difference except in a situation where the truck is producing close to the max output for a big fraction of the tank. The difference would be in the hp the engine can produce, especially in a high-temperature/high load condition.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #250
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Just returned from a 3,400 mile trip towing through the Rockies of UT, MT, WY, SD and CO. Used regular 85 & 87 octane with no problem until the last 10 miles to home. Going up a steep grade, the Ecoboost started to shudder like it was missing, the CEL came on and started blinking and the truck went into limp mode. Finally pulled over and within 30 seconds the light stop blinking and everything was alright to get home. Ford dealer checked it on the computer and it did not show any fault codes.

The last tank of gas was from some no name station in the boonies and makes me wonder if that was the cause... So next trip I will run higher octane fuel when towing to see if that makes a difference.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #251
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
interesting topic.

when i towed from Florida to NJ in June i used premium. after i dropped the trailer i switched back to regular and it just wasn't as smooth. the mileage dropped off a bit for the next 100 miles or so but after that, it seemed fine. i always seem to get better mpg south of washington dc.

mojo, i also had that shudder. in my case it was coming out of a rest area heading up a grade. to me it felt more like i was not in the right gear but the dash showed normal shifts. my cel also came on and went off about 30 miles later after a second stop at a rest area to give a look and listen under the hood.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #252
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Problem not towing

We have a 2011 Ecoboost. We have been using regular gas. Strangely enough we seem to be having our trouble with the engine missing and the transmission shifting roughly when not towing the trailer. We have taken it to the dealer once and they could not find anything wrong. Their possible explanation was that it will take a while for the computer to figure things out when the vehicle is towing vs. when it is not towing. I am not sure I buy that. I suppose we will try to upgrade to premium next time we fill up to see how that works out for us.

Tags
ecoboost, f-150