Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #225
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
under advice of Ford and several AS dealers I turn the truck sway control OFF when towing the AS and let any sway be controlled by the hitch assembly.
Dealership Salesmen have been known to give comically bad advice. Ford recommends you leave the Trailer Sway Control feature on, but you can call Ford Customer Service and hopefully get a more informed opinion.

2011 Ford Super Duty - Trailer Sway - YouTube

Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #226
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
There was a comment in a newer type hitch thread where the towing vehicle, a newer Ford F150 aparently went into sway control mode using the vehicle's brakes and throttle controlled by it's onboard computer. This was a result of the truck and Airstream being passed by a big truck in combination with cross winds.

My question to you F150 Ecoboost drivers is, is this something that happens frquently, or even periodically?

If this has happened to you, please tell us under what road conditions, speed, and what type of hitch you are using.

Thanks
Steve
I have only experienced the trailer being pushed when I was on Hwy 101 in Seaside, CA and there was strong wind pushing off shore onto the beach and it was very slight. I felt the push of the wind but it did not cause any sway The sway control never engaged. Blowing past big trucks back and forth I have never felt a thing. Not to indicate anyone else is wrong but the trailer sway should only be turned off when not pulling a trailer. Trailer sway control was built to be used. I just have the standard hitch since it is only a 19'. Now I will say that if someone had the Hensley or some other type of weight distribution hitch, the chance of the trailer sway being useful may be slim. So if I had a Hensley, I would turn off the trailer sway to see if I got better gas mileage. I have read in other forums trailer sway on lowers mpg.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #227
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I have only experienced sway when having to take evasive maneuvers when a semi decided he wanted my lane and when some one changed lanes and slammed on the brakes in front of me. Towing 7200lbs with a Hensley and Fords sway control, I don't really remember what was working when, but every thing stayed in line and I am very thankful for that. I don't think I will turn off the sway control to save 2 a mile.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #228
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I was not and am not giving anyone advice on what to turn off or on with respect to sway control, if it was taken that way I appologize. I was simply stating what I do and what I've experienced with over 180,000 + miles towing RV trailers and now with respect to the new Ford anti sway control when combined with a hitch sway control set up.

Saving money has nothing to do with it, I personnaly figure one is going to fight th other, I've driven a number of miles without the vehicle sway control and will most likely continue to do so, but again not giving anyone else advice.

Safe Travels
Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #229
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I don't bother turning the sway control off. Of course since I have a Hensley I don't experience sway. Never have and don't want to. That said I have not had any indication that the sway control has ever activated and my fuel economy towing in drive is excellent. Here in Ontario and the eastern States I have not had any need to switch to Tow/haul mode. The only time I engage T/h is when going downhill for engine braking.
Al

TAC ON-3
Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #230
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
princeton , Illinois
2013 F150 HD payload package......8200 GVW rating 10 ply e tires 7 lug wheels 9.25 vs 8.75 rear end with 3.73 gears and trailer tow mirrors.... you can get this package in XL or XLT only..... regular cab long bed.... extended cab long bed..... or crew cab standard bed .... Eco Boost or 5. 0 hope this helps....
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #231
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
sussex , New Jersey
2011 f 150 with reese dual cam sway control #26102 2008 23' safari se. On interstate 80 in PA doing about 70 in high winds felt the sway control after hitting a bump. It was barely noticeable but much appreciated!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Trying to understand the Ford system and the friction sway control hitch, it appears there are two different functions at work here. A friction sway control hitch only dampens the sway of the trailer, but the Ford system applies braking and engine speed adjustment to correct the sway.

It seems then the two systems do not conflict, but actually work together and are both desirable to have at the same time?

As for the Hensley, the hitch "locks" the truck/trailer together in the sense that the trailer cannot introduce any turn, only the truck can. But considerable stress is placed on the hitch connection when the trailer wants to sway. I wonder if the Ford sway system can detect this attempt by the trailer to sway, correct it, and therefore reduce that stress placed on the hitch?

If these were true, it would be desirable to use the sway control features of Ford (and most other manufacturers) whenever towing.

doug k
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #233
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
Yes that is the only way that Ford offers the Larger Mirrors is to get it with the MAX trailer tow package (60C Max TRL PKG /Max TRL Tow $565 requires to order the XL6 3.73 Elec Locking $570)..... I don't think gearing issue vs/fuel is like it use to be with the new low rev-ing high torque engines of today. My 3.55 works great, I even put larger tires on it so it in reality may have brought down my ratio... I can climb 2% grade in 6th gear towing... I will let you know how the higher ratio works out... don't believe from what I hear and read it will be an issue regarding fuel... It all boils down to I wanted the larger mirrors now that they are Power Fold and Power telescopic.... It looks like the ones off an F-250. Also now I will go from a 26gal fuel tank on the 2011 to a 35gal tank on the 2013... (both are EcoBoost 157" Wheel Base) YES! Will stick with the Ingot silver... ez to clean and maintain and looks "Fly" pulling the Airstream... now with the Pecan leather will be nice...
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sway control is integrated into most if not all vehicles now. Am I to understand there is a separate sway control on some Fords just for towing? I don't know what the difference between two types of sway control is and why there would be two. I think sway control is really skid control.

Our Tundra has sway control which can be switched off and it switches off automatically when in 4WD. The idea of switching it off is that there are situations where it can make it harder to get out of a difficult spot such as with snow or mud.

When sway control activates, it can straighten the vehicle and when it did on our 4Runner on a very slick, greasy road in the Northwest Territories, it corrected the skid at the same time I did, resulting in overcorrection—I or the sway control straightened the vehicle again and all was ok, but the outcome was scary since I felt I had no control over what the vehicle was doing. I wasn't towing anything at the time. I think what I hear is the sway control braking a wheel that is skidding and it happens rarely—usually on loose gravel—and only for a second or two. I have not had a similar situation as the one in NWT in 6 years, but am unsure how to handle it since correcting with the wheel is automatic to me.

I imagine sway control helps because a skidding truck can cause a swaying trailer, but for those of us used to correcting a skid in decades of driving, I worry about the situation I had where the vehicle and I both try to correct a skid and overcorrect.

I am aware this is an EcoBoost thread and maybe the sway control question should be a separate thread.

Gene
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #235
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
for those of us used to correcting a skid in decades of driving, I worry about the situation I had where the vehicle and I both try to correct a skid and overcorrect.

Kinda like when you first moved to an automatic trans with that '49 Oldsmobile, huh, Gene? Or, was it anti-lock brakes back in '92?

We do have to change our "automatic reactions" . . wait that split-second to see if the vehicle is reacting.

And I think it a valid question on this EB thread as this pickemup has both the peak power numbers to pull any A/S ever built, anywhere, and is representative of state-of-the-current-art to be used as a basis of comparison for any other TV considered. It covers a range from minivans on one end, to 1T's on the other.

How well it performs involves questioning what it can do.

While the function in question is not new (nor likely as sophisticated as what can be found on a high end Euro turbodiesel SUV), again, it is representative of what many of us will run into in buying a new TV at present.

Pickup trucks are poor road vehicles. And the change from solo/unloaded to towing/laden is a wide range of weight, especially on the RA.

Best hitch (VPP) set up according to best practice (scale value confirmation of WD) doesn't change that electronic additions on the vehicle ought to make those scary moments less so. I would not see them as a substitute. I can imagine FORD (and others) have worked quite hard at making this a solid addition.

I will throw in that the tires are more important than ever in maintaining lane-centeredness as there are LT tires which are better performers in wet conditions than others.

In the end, it is the loss of adhesive traction by the RA tires that is the make-or-break moment in avoiding loss-of-control accidents by towing combinations (as understeer is assumed, and emphasized, by SAE).

So, tire pressures within vehicle manufacturer guidelines (not just absolute pressures, but FF/RR bias as the VM expresses it on the door placard and in other information), and based upon real numbers (weight scale values; for us, this is with WD adjusted properly).

Pressure according to load ought to give best performance in steering, braking and in the actions generated by the computer. And this on the best tires for load, type and "wet weather" performance (where the highest quality tire brand & model is chosen).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #236
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Thumbs up Trailer sway control

Trailer Sway Control uses the technologies of Ford’s AdvanceTrac with RSC (Roll Stability Control) to provide an additional layer of confidence and control while towing. These include wheel speed, throttle position and steering wheel angle sensors, yaw rate and lateral acceleration sensors and a gyroscopic roll rate sensor.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/T..._SuperDuty.pdf

2011 Ford F-150 Trailer Sway Control - YouTube

2009 Ford F-150: Trailer Sway Control animation - YouTube

Ford Demonstrates Trailer Sway Control for 2011 Super Duty - PickupTrucks.com News

It will help with the start of sway and even compensate for Human over reaction. No when hear alive has the ability to react as quickly or presisly as a computer contolled system.

After driving from Montana to the Oregon coast and back through three mounatin ranges. The sway system only engaged once briefly when passing a slow semi on the Columbia River gorge and I was thankful for it.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Found this link on the Andersen hitch thread, and while the post is interesting, I find the reported average fuel mileage the most interesting.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch

I made that same trip in '08 pulling a bigger 23' Airstream with a 5.3L GMC and got 12.4 MPG, while the reported average mileage with the Ecoboost was 11.3.

Seems to me the only mileage gains with the Ecoboost is when the truck is running on the highway empty.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #238
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Found this link on the Andersen hitch thread, and while the post is interesting, I find the reported average fuel mileage the most interesting.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch

I made that same trip in '08 pulling a bigger 23' Airstream with a 5.3L GMC and got 12.4 MPG, while the reported average mileage with the Ecoboost was 11.3. Seems to me the only mileage gains with the Ecoboost is when the truck is running on the highway empty.
That trailer type is a square box. The greatest predictor of fuel economy while in steady state highway driving (all other conditions being the same) will be aerodynamic efficiency, and the A/S is higher.

And, with two otherwise identical rigs (TV & TT) the differences between two hypothetically similar drivers will be:

1] Climate
2] Terrain
3] Vehicle load
4] Driver skill

and, to drill down further between the two:

1] hitch rigging verified by scale readings
2] axle alignment of both vehicles
3] brake drag of TT & TV (as well as wheel bearing adjustment)
4] TV steering wander (corrections per 100-miles/travel)

MPG record-keeping by RV'er is notoriously poor (in main, infrequency of trips; difference of trips, etc) so that the average mpg towing (not highs or lows) is about impossible to find in order to make comparisons.with real accuracy.

For general purposes, keep these two in mind:

A] travel on the flats, or in hilly/mountainous terrain
B] average stated travel speed

as they will be more easily compared (once differences of TV & TT are understood).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Closed Thread

Tags
ecoboost, f-150