1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Price please!!?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #184
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
While I have not read every posting here those that I did read are all spot on. I didn't see anything here that I would refute. Having said that if you are towing at marginal limits of manuf. recommendations ( read this as also meaning legal limits) there are some things to consider. There have been suggestions for suspension modifications that will all make your towing more comfortable and probably even safer. But keep in mind that there is nothing done there that will change the gross vehicle limits. While I have never seen a DOT or police roadside check targeting RV's or non-commercial use that doesn't mean they don't / can't do it. Then there's always the collision situation where the investigation may go into contributing factors and look at overloading. This may lead to pointing to the overweight vehicle as probable cause. What insurance may do with this is another discussion.

Not to cast a cloud over any of this discussion but just wanted to add my $.02 .

Stay within safe limits and you can feel that your family is safe and sound on your travels.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #185
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Ecoboost

My towing experience with 2012 Supercrew short bed Ecoboost Lariet.
Max tow package - 3.73 - with topper and Jotto Bedslide
Airstream - 2003 34 ft Limited - ProPride Hitch

Towed FL to CT - rear end suspension a little too soft.
Installed Supersprings SSA28 SuperSprings SSA28 Install Ford F-150 - YouTube
Didn't even take tires off to install.

Problem solved - towed to Alumapalooza and back - solid.

Towing - Have towed accross VT, PA & NH hills only - no problem holds cruise control like a champ.

Had a Duramax diesel for 7 years - will never go back to diesel.

Will it tow - yes
With 34 ft Airstream on level highway at 62 mph 1600-1700 rpm
Can you put as much load in truck as diesel - no
Is it a pleasure to drive when not towing - wonderful and quiet
Can get cheaper than diesel fuel at any gas station

Next set of tires will upgrade to C 50lb tire - came with P metric I run rear at 44lbs.

Love my Ecoboost!

Rich
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #186
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
if you are towing at marginal limits of manuf. recommendations ( read this as also meaning legal limits)

This is a canard seemingly widespread in the RV world, and without basis in fact. Manufacturer recommendations are not in any way tantamount to legal restrictions. The law does not address it, and a private party (be it GM, Ford, Chrysler) is not a regulating agency either.

Tires are the single exception to this (for commercial vehicles) as the weight rating (load index) is subject to legal defintions/tests.

Yes, take weight recommendations into consideration, but no they are not the end of how to set up a vehicle for towing (the obvious shortcomings of SAE J2807 should make that clear).

It is always easier for a full-timer to choose that heavier tow vehicle . . not at all the case for the vacationer where the TV has most of its miles as a solo commuter and grocery-getter. The initial price, operating cost and safety deficiencies (by design) of a heavy pickup, for example, mitigate against that choice.

To keep nearer the topic, for a half-ton pickup truck the EB-powered Ford is quite attractive, and likely the best basis of reference for comparison against present and future pickup trucks for its direct injection / turbocharged motor.

Other considerations should weigh as heavily if not more so: time through the slalom, braking tests, electronic accident avoidance gizmos onboard, etc.

The best travel trailer is lightweight, has fully independent suspension, low center-of-gravity with good FF/RR weight balance and lasts about forever.

But coupling it to the TV with the highest rollover rate, highest operating cost, worst braking distances and slowest time through the slalom needs to be seen for what it is:

Quit assuming that a pickup is the default best choice as a TV.

The amount of "junk" carried by travelers is the real issue. Woulda been a hoot to see ol' Byams face if some of our contemporaries showed up for an international caravan with what they deem "necessary" to travel with.

Think through the basics . . bigger, heavier is neither safer nor necessarily longer-lasting much less economical.

A Honda Odyssey is likely a much better TV than a 1/2T, EcoBoosted or not.

Staying out of trouble trumps fuel mileage and payload capacity any day (but not if one reads the typical what is the best tow vehicle threads on any RV forum), yet is short-shrifted in word and practice.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #187
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Easy Red....MINE is the best TV made. For me.
TETO

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #188
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Bob, you are a wiser man than I, as our posts tend to prove. Assumptions are an issue that need airing (and a more congenial personality than mine as I re-read my expostulations), and while an EB Ford is likely a very good half-ton choice, well Airstreams don't need trucks is a better place to start.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #189
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
What Would Wally Do? Wally's caravans usually had dedicated support vehicles that followed along and scouted ahead carrying their gear, tools and scooters. Given the choice of a Honda or this F150, I think I know which he would pick.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It is a different world that we live and travel in from Wally's day. Personally I think that I will be very happy with my choice of TV for a long time to come.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Manufacturers' ratings for towing are not conclusive if you find yourself in a trial. It is evidence that can be challenged as inaccurate. Parties can bring in experts who will testify to what they believe to be safe towing ratings for any vehicle. SAE ratings will also be challenged and defended. Police reports will be dissected and resected. All this is expensive, everyone wants to avoid spending money unless there's a good chance of a big recovery, and the case will probably be settled. Insurance companies will make the decisions and don't want to pay for experts.

Unless something is obviously out of whack, tow ratings probably will not be mentioned—a 4 wheeler in the truck bed raises weight and weight distribution questions right away. Was the 4 wheeler secured or was it rolling side to side (I've seen them in truck beds sideways)? Did anyone see the trailer weaving down the road before the accident? Was there a WD hitch? There are lots of easier things to look out for than weight ratings unless the truck is so overloaded the driver could only see the sky.

What you do have to watch out for are cops on a money raising mission and cops looking for certain ethnic groups to harass ("papers, please"). It is easy to get a bunch of tickets for minor violations (true or not) you just pay and drive on if you are allowed to.

Gene
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #192
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Tow facts

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ehtowguide.pdf

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...PDF/MV3230.pdf

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...R_brake_DL.pdf

If you tow a load that is too heavy for your vehicle,
you create a potential safety risk for yourself and others on the road.
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations in British Columbia prohibit the operation of vehicles that are unsafe or improperly loaded and exceed either the Gross Axle Rating (GAWR) or the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The Province is focusing on vehicles that are obviously overweight and pose a risk to the safety of other motorists.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum@home View Post
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ehtowguide.pdf

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...PDF/MV3230.pdf

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...R_brake_DL.pdf

If you tow a load that is too heavy for your vehicle,
you create a potential safety risk for yourself and others on the road.
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations in British Columbia prohibit the operation of vehicles that are unsafe or improperly loaded and exceed either the Gross Axle Rating (GAWR) or the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The Province is focusing on vehicles that are obviously overweight and pose a risk to the safety of other motorists.
Hi, and to think that all of this time, I was led to believe that Canada didn't care if you towed a 34' Airstream with a Mini Cooper. [slight exaggeration]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #194
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
little rock , Arkansas
Ok thanks for all of the towing limit knowledge. I'm sure there is a lawyer among us. If anybody wants to site some case law, please do so, on another thread. Otherwise let's get back to the ford eb. Let's hear from the owners about how they compare to their old truck.

Thanks,
Karl
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #195
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
We had a fellow in yesterday for a hitch set up. He had a new EB F150 and a 28' tall square trailer that was all over the road and he had almost wound up in the ditch a couple of times.

Once we set his hitch up properly and added sway controls the handling was fine for a square trailer. Because he was pretty nervous after his previous experience I took him for the test drive. What a dog the Echo Boost was with that tall box on the back end it had a hard time exceeding 60 MPH without reving quite high and I don't think it was setting any fuel economy records. Certainly an Airstream is the best match for one. If someone drove the F150/Box combination and then drove our Taurus SHO with the 34 it is connected to they would never beleieve they were the same engine.

We tend to focus on axle and tire ratings, I don't get too concerned about GVWR as it is often not applicable to towing with weight distribution where you can transfer weight to the front wheels, something that does not happen with a solo vehicle.

My guess is that 90% of the trucks towing fifth wheels exceed their GVWR but not the GAWR. Virtually every family with an SUV going on vacation without a trailer are also exceeding GVWR. In fact most loaded solo vehicles are going to be far more out of balance and more heavily overloaded than a tow vehicle with weight distribution.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 07-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #196
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Blairsville , Georgia
Well I went back to the dealer again. This time I returned with a Eco 3.5 With the hd tow package. Still do not know the towing capability until I weigh it. Dealer took it to a county transfer station ( code name for dump) and weight it there. His weight was not accurate so I will take it to a private scale to tomorrow . Time will tell

Tags
ecoboost, f-150