Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owltown View Post
i have been over it so many time my eyeballs hurt
That's normal. The more you learn, the better it will get, but it is a steep learning curve.

"Occupants and cargo" is purposely vague, I suppose. First go through the Ford owner's manual. They tend to bury information, but there may be a specifications section and a towing section. After that, look on the Ford website, then call them and hope the people who answer the phone know something. Push them, ask for a supervisor or engineer if the person you first talk to is reading off an idiot sheet. The dealer is useless—few people at dealers really know what they are selling and will tell you anything to move a truck they want to get rid of before they have to pay another month's loan on it.

Your hitch is fine. It is better not to overhitch.

I believe the standard for leaf springs on a 1/2 ton truck is 3 (some use coil springs on the back, but I think that is Dodge). Adding a 4th should increase payload and the spring shop may have some guidance on this. Heavy duty shocks of a good quality (Bilstein is considered good quality) are also a good idea. My concern is whether other parts of the suspension are up to it, but since it seems the difference between some 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks are a 4th leaf and heavier shocks, you may be ok. I am certainly no expert on suspensions, but others may post on this. Glad to hear you have the tow package—does it upgrade suspension? Brakes? Probably not, but always good to check.

The concern with brakes is that trailer drum brakes are not so great and the tow vehicle has to make up for that. Downshift going down hills and coming to a stop and you'll save your rotors and pads. Hot rotors—especially in hot climates—will warp. Going down long grades with brakes and not downshifting will quickly warp rotors. Eventually it will happen anyway, but I got almost 65,000 miles before replacing front rotors. The Tundra has 13.6" rear and 13.9" front rotors and that seems to be a minimum to me.

Gene

Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #170
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I would un-add the "supersprings". They do nothing to improve towing and may even effect the weight distribution.
Your payload is determined by axle rating, GAWR sticker should be on the driver door jam.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07990.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	162188  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 07-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #171
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Blairsville , Georgia
lets complicate the situation. the HD tow package has the same axle weight rating as mine, same tires , same radiator and spring setup. Adds mirors and a 3.73 axle and is rated a 450 pounds more payload. Ford tech support corporate said " take the weight of my vehicle (6400 actual with gas and people) , subtract it from 15500 and that is the max i can tow".(9100) i do not know what they have been drinking but... Additionally the dealer put the superspring on gratus. they asid it would help. the more i learn the less i seem to know...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #172
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Owltown,

Are these the helper springs the dealer installed?

Looks like they just add sum inches, Don't see how they would "improve" the ride.

SuperSprings SSA28 Install Ford F-150 - YouTube
Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #173
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Blairsville , Georgia
they are called supersprings. the attach to the top to the current spring
SuperSpring Leaf Spring Helper
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Bob I would say they will hurt the ride while empty and help the ride while loaded near the max load.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #175
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Calgary , AB
Thumbs up

Engine

Axle Ratio

GCWR (Lbs.)

145-inch wheelbase

157-inch wheelbase

3.5L EcoBoost® V6

3.55/3.73

-

-

3.5L EcoBoost® V6

3.55/3.73

3.5L EcoBoost® V6

3.73/4.10

11200*

11100*

Thanks
My F-150 platinum has the 3.55/3.73 Axle Ratio and 15500 GCWR,therfore a 9600LB tow capacity.
I didn't know that you could get a Platinum with the higher ratings.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #176
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Bob I would say they will hurt the ride while empty and help the ride while loaded near the max load.
Agree....

A progressive spring rate would be a better option, for a part-time TV.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 07-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #177
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum@home View Post

Thanks
My F-150 platinum has the 3.55/3.73 Axle Ratio and 15500 GCWR,therfore a 9600LB tow capacity.
I didn't know that you could get a Platinum with the higher ratings.
I was looking and bought the F-150 Larriott package last year. It has the 11,200 tow package and 1761 cargo. The Platinum package could not be purchased with that rating. Difference was in the wheels. Larriott has 18 inch and Platinum has 20 inch. The larger wheels reduced the tow capacity.
At least that is my understanding. That was the only difference I could see between the two that would effect capacities.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #178
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
The difference in tow capacity between the 18 inch and 20 inch wheels may have to do with the fact that the stock 275-55R20 size tire has a lesser load capacity. There are only 4 manufacturers of a tire in this size that have an extra load (XL) rating. For example, the Yokohama Prada Spec-X tire in the 275-55R20 size has a load rating of 2833 lb. each. The tire has excellent dry and wet traction, but the tread design (in my experience with this tire) picks up a lot of gravel.
You could go with a larger size tire to get a higher load rating, but then you would change the circumference and overall gear rating which would also affect your towing capacity.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #179
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Your payload is determined by axle rating, GAWR sticker should be on the driver door jam.

Bob
Another thing to think about. Axle rating may be more or not than other parts such as springs. Depending on whether Ford uses the same axle on different rated trucks, it may be ok for heavier weights, but another thing to check.

Gene
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Traded my 2010 f150 5.4 SuperCrew 4x4 355 axle for these reasons
1.Pulled my 28ft CCD International with ease
2.Braked just fine with trailer attached.
3.Payload rating was just to low I was maxed out and could not take any supplies,generators,passengers or my dog!
4.Did some investigating and if i was involved in a accident I would be held liable for gross negligence because I had exceeded the intended factory payload limit.Adding extra springs or airbags does not help your case.
5.If you order the HD payload package with the 8ft box and max tow you may be ok,but be sure to add all weights of passengers ,fuel,supplies and hitch to the equation.
In my case I did not feel comfortable so I traded for a 2012 F350 SuperCrew 4x4 6.2 Turbo Diesel with 8ft Box.Just got back from a 2500mi trip and I must say this was the best choice I could of made for my situation.Cost was not much more than a loaded F150 and this is a luxury tow monster!Quiet,comfortable and I can take all my stuff.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Due in large part from positive reports from actual owners and users I traded in my very marginal Niasan Xterra for a new 2012 F150 XLT, 3.5 Ecoboost, Super Crew Cab, 5 1/5 ft bed, Candy Apple Red with gray interior. Great feel and handling and the gas mileage is appreciably better than the Xterra. I test drove the normally aspirated V6 and then the turbo. The difference was night and day. It really was not hard after the test drives to make my decision. I am taking the trailer to a local state park this weekend. The trip will be a mix of highway and back roads. It should be just long enough drive to give me a good indication of the towing feel and mileage.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #182
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Blairsville , Georgia
As to the differences between hd toward tow. I know the equipment stated by ford
Heavy bumper,brake ctlr, mirrors, and 3.73 gear. And class 5 hitch. the axle ratings and tires 20 inch are the same.this is from looking at the hd on a lot.
Radiator and tran supplements.are added but they are added with standard tow package. I checked one out on the lot the tires and 20 inch wheels are the same shocks seem the same and springs seem the same . Obviously they could be different, but ford never mentioned that. So how can the GVW rating go from 7200 to 7700. Even the ford dealer could not tell me. GCVW -Tow capasity is not the issue, it is GVW. BTW gas is not included in payload - found in owners manual. But my truck weight 6100 with gas. -from a scale. Add 300 for 2 people now at 6400. With a GVW of 7200 that leaves 800 pounds of legal payload including hitch weight,not the 1240 specified on the door. Even with a weight distributing hitch that puts me perilously close to max GVW. A 25 foot airstream TW is 750 empty probably close to 900 loaded, and then add the hitch weight and div by 67%( best case) which yield 700 approx and you are really close to GVW . We would have trouble including the dog. And if my wife and I gained weight, look out. I want to thank you guys for all your help. I mad going back to the dealer to see what we can do.
Just remember, if you get an F150 you will not know how much you can tow until to weight it

Rom

Tags
ecoboost, f-150