Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Mixed feelings from all above,,

First,, for some history., Have a 98 Dodge 3/4 ton with right at 260k on the clock.. Wanted to use it more for farm use and have a nicer "town" pu ,,,and like you tired of the 30 cent added cost for road diesel fuel I ended up with a 2012 HD 1/2 ton gasser Ram.. With the $7000 extra option to get a Cummins in a 2012 now days that is so choked down with needless EPA goodies it kills any hope to ever see the mid 20mpg I get running empty with my 98 I wanted to give a gasser a shot.

I did a lot of research and ended up getting a 2012 Ram with the 5.7L hemi,, in Tradesman trim,, 4x4.. All the HD items come standard with the Tradesman package,. Engine oil ,, trans,, cooler along with the class 4 tow hitch and with the 3.96 gears is rated at 10,500 lbs tow rating..

Total price was 25k,, with a 20,000 lb goose neck hitch installed.. So far I see 20 mpg hwy empty and seems to pull ok the few times I have pinned up to our bale trailer ( 20,000lb) around the farm or my 27 foot Overlander.. Not the raw tork of the Cummins,, but seems ok so far,, even with 50 mph head winds..

I saw one comment that with a 6 speed,, don't worry about gear ratio,, wrong,, the lower axle gearing takes the stress off the transmission,, and with the EPA gifted over done over drive I still able to see 1800 rpms at 65 mph,, Right at the sweet spot of max tork and mpg for this engine..

The other issue,, is goes back to my old hot rod days.. There is no cheaper head start for performance than cubic inches,, I understand that a little v6 with turbo's hanging off every corner of the engine will make a lot of HP,,, but for how long?

No engine ever made is rated at anything more than 60% rated HP for any constant use.. I don't care if its a 14L 500hp semi truck engine,,, or a 1959 1200cc VW air cooled bug,,...

The other thing that jumped out at me,, is even tho the Ford diesels are not my cup of tea,, all of them I know of around our parts are not even worried about till around the 300,000 mile mark.. Most older ones are well into the 500,000 mile mark before one starts carrying ether along to get them started on a cooler morning.

I might be wrong,, with the newer metals,, tooling and computer engine controls are giving the engines performance we would never believed just 15 years ago... But just call me old school,, some rules of life always come back as facts.

Another point I would want to look at,, is back in the early 70s,, I got a new Ford Gallexy with a big block 400 cu in engine,, My grandfather got the same car to the "T" other than color at the same time with the 302 cu in,, The best MPG he ever got with that small block was 17 and I could see 21 mpg most of the time out on the open road.. Dont know if this would apply to the newer Fords PU's but sure worth the time I feel to ask around.

Good luck with your search,, and a happy ending,.,.

Sodbust

Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Great Truck

I have the F150 4x4 Ecoboost. Max tow, crewcab with 6 1/2 bed and off-road. I'm towing a 19' International. A breeze but its capacity is 11300 lbs and fully loaded I'm towing around 4000lbs and hauling around 1500lbs including the weight. For what I'm doing and the capabilities of the truck it's awesome and level driving is 17mpg. If I was going to tow much closer to its max and haul more gear, I may consider a different truck. I think the best tow configuration the Ecoboost has is 11,500 and 3000. I like the fact I'm hauling tonnage that is much less than my capacity. Also, the "brains" on this truck make towing a real pleasure.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #143
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"Also, the "brains" on this truck make towing a real pleasure."

Just be careful not to let the brains of the driver go to sleep.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Hi, been there, done that; That's why I alway carry my "First Aid Kit" in the glove box. [No-Doze] zzzzzzzzzz

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #145
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, been there, done that; That's why I alway carry my "First Aid Kit" in the glove box. [No-Doze] zzzzzzzzzz
Mine sit's in the right seat...thank Wally she loves to drive.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #146
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Bob
Bob,

I concur with you but the "brains" are not quite that smart. The trailer sway control with all the other electroniic sensors assists in wheel and engine braking which helps in over correction and stability.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #147
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirChief View Post
Bob,

I concur with you but the "brains" are not quite that smart. The trailer sway control with all the other electroniic sensors assists in wheel and engine braking which helps in over correction and stability.

Downside AC...it's a reactive system, it does nothing to prevent sway.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #148
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Just info, gas vs diesel difference in south Louisiana now about $.20 gal @ ZIP 70458 on I-10/I-12/I-59 area, example: RaceTrac gas 3.69, diesel 3.87, narrowing price gap makes my diesel a little more cost effective....but.... the $53k F-250 new truck price paid sure makes the less costly F-150 ECO attractive if I didn't really need the larger truck....whew, just ain't no free lunch anywhere in the towing business these days, LOL!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Downside AC...it's a reactive system, it does nothing to prevent sway.

Bob
Hi, it probably does more, to prevent loss of control, than most drivers while towing an Airstream.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #150
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, it probably does more, to prevent loss of control, than most drivers while towing an Airstream.
Yeah...we all tend to get a little behind in our steering.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 06-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #151

2013 27' FB Classic
manchester , Michigan
F-150 EB Montana Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
Not the towing info you all wanted, but my crew cab, max tow F150 ecoboost runs about 16 to 17 mpg at 80mph on the freeway, just a little over 19mpg over Mothers day trip in the mountains around Red Lodge at around 65mph. Lots of power, and really like the truck. Traded in a 2008 1500 Silverado, which I liked, but like the F150 much more. $33,000. Lots of bells and whistles. XLT tow max crew cab model.
I will be towing only a 2007 Bambi 19' SE so have no worries.
Too busy getting the farm planted and crops in for the next month, then will give more info on towing performance. Tons of power though.
Greg
Greg,

How is your F-150 holding up towing in the mountains? Gas mileage? Did you get the Select Shift Automatic? I have a 2010 F-150 with a 4.6 and a 6 sp auto, 3.73 limited slip rear end. I am pulling a 20' Flying cloud (2011). My major concern is how much the transmission is always seeking a gear (even in tow/haul mode). I am sure the engine has the power, I think the tranny is a little sick. We just returned from a WY/MT trip and the mountains, and wind in SD did a number on us. Overall mileage was 13.1 95% towing. Again mainly concerned with the tranny hunting and pecking for a gear.

If you can share your experiences with the EB, I would appreciate it. Looking to maybe replace the current truck.

Thank you,

Mike
Old 06-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #152
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Mike,
We did a trip out to Minnesota, then a few trips up to the Mountains surrounding Yellowstone, only on the North side without tourists, remote type camping. I can't say anything bad about the Ecoboost. I don't find the changing of gears, and don't even use the tow/haul mode. Hills are no problem, have never even had to push it. It was hard to keep under 70/75 mph on hills or flats. (but we are only towing a 19' Bambi).
On a recent 3 day trip two weeks ago to Yellowstone, without the trailer, we filled up in Cody, went over the Sylvan pass, toured around the park for two days, and drove back to Laurel over the Chief Joseph Highway (all you airstreamers are missing something if you don't know about this route), and we did over 22 mpg. Of course the driving in the park is only 45 mph.
Towing milage varies quite a bit. If uphill or against heavy headwinds, we can count on 13 to 15 mpg. If no wind and on the level 16 to 17, and downhill (from Red Lodge to Laurel), around 18/19.
And anytime my wife takes a trip in Montana or further, she now takes this truck, instead of her Honda Pilot. Better milage, and safer (Larger) vehicle.
I am very happy with the purchae.
Greg
Old 06-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
And anytime my wife takes a trip in Montana or further, she now takes this truck, instead of her Honda Pilot. Better milage, and safer (Larger) vehicle.
She would be safer in the Pilot. Pickups are the least safe vehicles. Bigger is not safer in this case.

Back to the EcoBoost….

Gene
Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #154
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Gene,
I would love to agree with you, but then that would just make us both wrong.

Greg

Tags
ecoboost, f-150