Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Ford F150/3.5 V6 Durability Test

Ford claims the new 3.5 V6 Ecoboost in the F150 can tow over 10,000lbs.

For those concerned about the F-150 EcoBoost V6's durability, Ford has heard your concerns, and plans a demonstration: Running a randomly-selected EcoBoost 3.5 engine in a Baja 1000 entry.

But wait: First, THAT SAME ENGINE will:

- Be used to haul logs in an Oregon logging camp
- Tow a pair of race cars around a track a full throttle for 24 hours

Then it's off to Baja. After the race, they tear the engine apart. We'll all get to see how well Ford has done their homework.

Some details here: Ford to campaign F-150 EcoBoost in Baja 1000 — Autoblog

Some will compare the EcoBoost with Ford's new high powered/high torque 302ci. In the Mustang platform Ford claims it will get 35MPG.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Thats a race truck, not a production truck.
We all know what production trucks give us.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
From the article..... "Ford will equip the F-150 off-road race truck with the same stock EcoBoost engine that already has experienced 150,000 equivalent miles of dyno testing and other real-world tests as the final step in the durability torture tests"

The test is for the engine.

Being in a race truck increases the demands on the engine/test.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I certainly see the potential here.

Higher cylinder pressures, compression ratio, and direct injection translate to increased efficiency. Smaller V6 configuration translates to less internal friction compared to V8.

Somehow though, all the testing doesn't seem to weed out all possible curveballs the real world throws.

I like what I see but I won't be an early adopter. I want to see if there are valve deposit issues with the direct injection, thermal issues, or wear issues due to heavier loading.

I hope the engine is a complete success.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I hope it has more than 3/8th of an inch of threads for the sparkplugs so it doesnt spit out sparkplugs like their past engines.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, that's the motor they use in the Flex, isn't it?

I can see my next TV for when we get tired of the Freestar...
Old 09-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Wow, that's the motor they use in the Flex, isn't it?

I can see my next TV for when we get tired of the Freestar...
Unfortunately they only rate the Flex for 5k lb towing. If my Legacy Wagon needs replacing before Ford drops the Flex, I'd want one. As it is, I think I'll keep the Legacy and add a pickup to our lineup for when we have something to tow.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I hope it has more than 3/8th of an inch of threads for the sparkplugs so it doesnt spit out sparkplugs like their past engines.
I second that one. In the middle of Georgia, stuck for a week. $3500 bill.
No more Fords ever for me!!!!
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
They've got a lot riding on it. The TQ "curve" is impressive. Ought to be fun to use in the usual half-ton that is more commuter than hauler. Anyone seen the maintenance schedule? (As in, change coolant every 5k?)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Unfortunately they only rate the Flex for 5k lb towing. If my Legacy Wagon needs replacing before Ford drops the Flex, I'd want one. As it is, I think I'll keep the Legacy and add a pickup to our lineup for when we have something to tow.
That's fabulous; the Freestar's tow capacity is only 3,500 lbs, so it may even be a better pull than I get now.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Trying to make a more reliable and durable product is good and to be commended. Good for Ford! Nonetheless, I'd rather see them put the trucks in the hands of some Nebraska corn farmers who need their trucks to work day in and day out instead of Baja racers. Better yet, a harvest crew who must get the crop in before the weather destroys it, or a logging crew in southern Washington state, who must get to the jobsite before they can start making a living. Those are the people who should be testing the vehicles.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Trying to make a more reliable and durable product is good and to be commended. Good for Ford! Nonetheless, I'd rather see them put the trucks in the hands of some Nebraska corn farmers who need their trucks to work day in and day out instead of Baja racers. Better yet, a harvest crew who must get the crop in before the weather destroys it, or a logging crew in southern Washington state, who must get to the jobsite before they can start making a living. Those are the people who should be testing the vehicles.
Are those markets for half-tons at present? Those sound like "natural" HD pickup customers. Not that I don't agree with the premise. The same use can be predicated for our strange little corner of the US: the ranchers, gas field service crews, utility company supervisors, etc (the 4WD business crowd) who are overwhelmingly in 3/4-1T trucks. Maybe with some fleets -- at the county level, or the Port of Corpus Christi -- would we see hard use of half-ton trucks.

In truth NO pickup truck makes sense at the "half-ton" level as they can't really do much work (payload weight or size) compared to the larger trucks. They ought to be ranked as soccer-mom mobiles for Aggies newly graduated and moved to Houston to work at FLUOR or HALLIBURTON. The projected users will haul boats for fishing & skiing and then a brace of ATV's to the deer lease at Thanksgiving. It'll likely be fine for the annual 5k towing crowd. Austinites will brag about solo efficiency. The Dallas crowd will buy 4WD to run to the time-share condo in Ruidoso for snow skiing.

Is there another place on the planet where gasoline engines are still used for "work" vehicles? I think not. No half ton is a work vehicle anymore, or has been since the advent of electronically-controlled diesels.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote