Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
Oh and stay away from the 5.8 L engines or anything with a alu head. They have a spark plug issue that you don't even want to go their with.
GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
I bought a '05 F250 diesel, then last June bought my first AS, an '85 Sovereign (25 ft). We bought the AS in Miss. and towed it 1300 miles to Denver. This trip took us through some pretty nasty wind. Since then, we've towed it west on I-70 over three mountain passes. The F250 doesn't even know the truck is behind it. My problem is keeping it down to a safe speed. It would go 80 all day long. The passes don't even phase it. I think the truck is very well built and would buy it again. We have the tow package and the transmission is fantastic. Coming down Vail pass, I think I hit the brakes twice. It's very smart about downshifting. I hope this helps. By the way, I bought it used with 42k miles. I think it's silly to buy a new vehicle and pay terrible depreciation on the first trip. Best wishes.
Globeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Anchorage , Alaska
Someone mentioned the new F150 as an alternative to the 250. We just puchased one last weekend and are very pleased with it. We have a 30'. The new 150 can tow 11,300 lbs. The key is to get the 3.73 ratio slip axle. The truck was also named Motor Trend's truck of the year. Good luck..
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester View Post
Someone mentioned the new F150 as an alternative to the 250. We just puchased one last weekend and are very pleased with it. We have a 30'. The new 150 can tow 11,300 lbs. The key is to get the 3.73 ratio slip axle. The truck was also named Motor Trend's truck of the year. Good luck..
Yup - good luck! We were considering the new F150 to tow our 28'. We ended up buying a new F-250 diesel and we love it!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
Brand new and a recall notice

Ford sent us a notice on the brand new diesel F-250 truck we got. It has a problem with the turbocharger. Its going to be the last diesel we are going to buy. Good thing I didn't trade in my old 96 with the 460. Its never been back to the dealership nor has it EVER had a recall notice to fix it. We asked the dealer if he wanted the new one back... and he said no way... when we asked why..he said that ford is currently in a battle with the engine manufacture.. who has them cut off.. because ford didn't pay 'em. He thinks that again ford will be changing engines manufactures... parts are hard to come by... as they have now gone through 3 generations of engines. Kinda says something?? We have been waiting 3 weeks now for the part that is non existant it seems in inventory. As we said the last diesel we will own... In the mean time we bought a F-150 with the cast iron engine... damm good workhorse so far and does everything the F-250 diesel rig was supposed to do... while it sits at the dealership awaiting the part for the 2nd turbo. Now we hear that their is a part in the transmission that needs to be changed out too... what a limmon...

The only addition we added to the 96 last year was a new front bumper. This to house the warn 12,000 winch that we got after having a friend get stuck and wait half a day for a tow truck. Then after 10 min worth of pull.. got back on the road .. now night time... and bad luck again.. hit a deer which physically pushed the front radiator into the fan. Least to say he was towed home.

We got the new BuckStop bumper from Oregon. Guess they know bumpers and deer well up their. Its built like a tank as well as it has a internal place to have the winch and a set of 6 inch off road lights down low so you can see the roadway better with.

The bumper is not one of the god'ie things that look like some kid trying to build his truck into a sherman tank or tranformer. It really looks good and the company knows trucks.. taking the old one off... we were suprised at how light weight and flimsy it really was... no wonder the deer could do $3000 dollars worht of damage to my friends... His insurance company suggested the buckstop as a replacement and savings on his insurance.. he put one on... On mine this one bolted right back on in less than a hour.

While some say they weight more... yes they do.. but you need the strength... and some say they wonder about the front of the truck holding it.. when we checked with our friendly ford engineer he laughed at our question... he commented that they designed the truck to be a work vehicle and 90% of them will handle the extra weight without a problem or making adjustments. He asked which one I was using .. and he said it was a good choice. He used renell but said they are much heavier... he hit a moose with his.. and only had scratches to cover up. (by the way you want a painted one.. scratch chrome and its costly if you can get it fixed)

So when you think of a new truck... ford is the best still... engines.. well!!!... but I would consider either the warn transformer, buckstop or renell bumper if your going to be toodleing out in the woods after dark...
they have a website where you can see another truck which had deer damage. Check it out at the buckstop testomonals... you may want something more than plastic up front.

As to the winch... we learned a long time ago how not to get stuck... but, weather and conditions can change... and if you need to winch out.. you have it up their. sort of a tool in the toolbox if you need it. In our case we have used it now to help others instead of US. Were thinking about charging next time.. grin...
Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
I have had experience pulling a 16ft Bambi with a Dodge Truck, it was a single cab w/short bed and the hemi engine. This truck pulled great but I did have to floor it going up steep mountains, living in Utah, we have a lot of hills, mountains, etc. I later went to a a Lincoln Aviator which had the 4.6 liter V8, it didn't pull as well but was still adequate. We purchased a 25ft Airstream Excella and the Lincoln could not control the trailer, very spooky ride and that was on level ground. We purchased a used 2007 Ford F-250 crew cab w/short bed 4X4 deisel and were amazed at how wonderful it pulled the larger trailer. We considered a new F-150 and then decided against it, gasoline engines burn through fuel too fast, the desiel engine is never over-worked and gets much better millage where we live.

Pullling the 25ft. Airstream with the F-250 is a breeze and I wouldn't consider a smaller truck even with this size of trailer unless you only plan towing on level ground. The sense of being in control of the trailer when towing with the F-250 is unmatched, it is easy to forget the trailer is behind you... I guess that can be good and bad!!
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
I have had experience pulling a 16ft Bambi with a Dodge Truck, it was a single cab w/short bed and the hemi engine. This truck pulled great but I did have to floor it going up steep mountains, living in Utah, we have a lot of hills, mountains, etc. I later went to a a Lincoln Aviator which had the 4.6 liter V8, it didn't pull as well but was still adequate. We purchased a 25ft Airstream Excella and the Lincoln could not control the trailer, very spooky ride and that was on level ground. We purchased a used 2007 Ford F-250 crew cab w/short bed 4X4 deisel and were amazed at how wonderful it pulled the larger trailer. We considered a new F-150 and then decided against it, gasoline engines burn through fuel too fast, the desiel engine is never over-worked and gets much better millage where we live.

Pullling the 25ft. Airstream with the F-250 is a breeze and I wouldn't consider a smaller truck even with this size of trailer unless you only plan towing on level ground. The sense of being in control of the trailer when towing with the F-250 is unmatched, it is easy to forget the trailer is behind you... I guess that can be good and bad!!
My sentiments exactly.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 01-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I can't speak for the newer Powerstrokes, but I have had (2) 2000 model 7.3's. One in an F250 and the current in an F350. Either way, it will pull anything Airstream has built with plenty left over (properly hitched of course).

As a side note, I pulled a large gooseneck trailer loaded with 21 round bales of hay ( approx. 28,000 lbs total.....slightly overloaded) last summer with my former F250. I pulled it 40 miles over central Kentucky hills and was very impressed with the truck.

They don't call them Super Duty for nuttin'
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post

Hi, I'm not a Dodge fan but I find it hard to believe that a Hemi has to be floored to tow a 16'er, on hills, unless you are trying to go 85 MPH. The Lincoln Aviator has a pretty low tow rating, [especially a two wheel drive model] maybe enough for the 16'er. A Lincoln Navigator would work better on 25'er. Ford F-250 is a great truck and if I ever wear out my Navigator, I might look for a slightly used one. I like the F-150, but since it technically has less power than my Lincoln, even though it's tow rating is higher, I don't feel that I could consider it an up-grade.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #50
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
The Lincoln Aviator has a pretty low tow rating, [especially a two wheel drive model] maybe enough for the 16'er. A Lincoln Navigator would work better on 25'er. .
Depending on year ....
2004 Aviator
4X2 rated to tow 7300#
4X4 rated to tow 7100#

Typically a 4X2 tow ratings will be greater than a 4X4

Navigator is better than a 1000# more in tow rating.

Wheel base may be a concern for Aviator. Navigator will have a 120" + or- WB

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Anchorage , Alaska
Here's a good link about the new '09 150's.
2009 Ford F-150 - First Look - Motor Trend

Someone mentioned getting a new 250 diesel but we were cautioned against the new diesel's due to the new federal emission standards that have killed their fuel economy. Also the degradation of current oil quality will likely keep pushing diesel prices higher. We started out looking for diesels but changed our minds after some research and advice from friends in the industry.

Someone else mentioned depreciation with a new truck, but dealers are giving significant discounts now. We got ours below employee pricing which is not mentioned on the official Ford incentive program but given the credit crisis, we found dealers aggressive for done deals. The available discounts now dwarf any depreciation.
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
Get a used diesel

We did this research a yr ago and bot a 2 yr old F250 diesel to haul our brand-new 2008 International CCD the next five months over 16,000 miles.

We averaged 12 mpg while towing, even through 12,000 ft in Breckenridge, Co.

Judie
Judithheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
Ford F250 diesel was great!

Hi again,

We were towing 8300 lbs plus cargo of unknown weight(a lot, I don't know)...the usual stuff...

We had never owned a truck before and were exrtemely pleased to spend a month in Melbourne Beach, a week in West Palm Beach, the keys etc. in Florida.

Also, we are now going to sell both vehicles due to a health issue.

Good luck,

Judith B. Heintz
Judithheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
**** , California
Well if you set on a big truck D engien then least get this also

We found that most of the problems with the drive train on the F250 HD D was in the rear axle overheating when pulling large trailers.... right up to the point where the gears cracked, exploded and/or shatterd. If you've read your trucks owner manual, there is a different schedule for normal use and "severe or trailer towing" for PU engines. For some maintenance schedules you change oil twice as often for severe use. (Pulling trailer or towing is considered severe use) D engines use 12 qts of oil in CC.. Gas use 7. But wait… Towing stress creates heat on other things besides just the engine.

The rear axle really gets hot transmitting all that torque and power. Excessive heat breaks down the oil faster and we all know what happens next. A lot of us overload our trailers especially using 3/4 and one ton PUs where not only is the trailer full but we have a tendency to load up the truck bed also. . Most of the new ford F250’s comes with synthetic gear oil in the rear differential. When you pry off the factory diff cover, if you haven't changed oil for the first time, you'll find metal filings from manufacturing process.. (We found it in 3 out of 5 of them) There is also no factory drain plug, no factory magnet to catch the metal filings. So how is one supposed to change the axle oil without taking the cover off?? One of those manufacture things where they don't care about or figure you won't know about it and have to take it back to the dealer $$$$. That's why the accessory world flourishes, to finish the making of your truck. Thus we recommend what we found works good for us… the ford F250/350 series aluminum differential replacement cover that has cooling fins designed into it. Not only that but they hold about twice as much gear oil so it has time to cool down. A lot of the off road people use them even though they were designed for the tow rigs.

Either way.. when you done carting the trailer for the day.. and you want to see how hot the rear axle diff is.. be careful… some stock ones get up to 275 deg F. We found that by going to one of the aftermarket covers which does have a drain hole, magnet for ease of servicing.... and fins.. it came down to about 190 deg F. Cooler oil makes ‘em last.

So if you set on the Big D in fords great truck... best head over and pick you up one of these rear axle covers if you want to keep rolling along.

Now some are saying well what about the F-150 why doesn't it suffer the same fate... mainly because it doesn't have the large engine the Big HD D has.

We won't even get into the factory spec'ed tires you will be buying for it too. Remember fords new HD D has the highest torque and power in its class... you go charging up the hill enjoying the power best start thinking about the things that keep your bottom from bouncing on the road... Tire heat is the second most common failure we have seen with these pullers. Tire heat leads to blowouts and white knuckles.

In all the ford F-250/350 is the best truck around for towing and hauling... We perfer the Gas (96 460 which we get 15 mpg pulling our trailer most of the time) to the problems and expenses we had with the Big D's. With the change in D fuel formulation for cleaner air (brought to you by the nice environmental nazis) get ready for a second round of injector/pump seal problems . 2010 is when its supposed to be in place.
We were told today by the ranch bulk distrubitor that Diesel fuel is going up after the first quarter.. (feb/Mar) due to the new clean air particulate blend. So again its going to be more expensive than Gas.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #55
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAs View Post
A lot of us overload our trailers especially using 3/4 and one ton PUs where not only is the trailer full but we have a tendency to load up the truck bed also. .

Overloading any vehicle beyond the design limits is just asking for trouble.

And I believe the green crowd will attack diesel engines on passenger vehicles. With the type of elected people we have the government is ripe for new laws for percieved non-green machines. And the facts don't matter.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester View Post

Someone mentioned getting a new 250 diesel but we were cautioned against the new diesel's due to the new federal emission standards that have killed their fuel economy.....

Someone else mentioned depreciation with a new truck, but dealers are giving significant discounts now. We got ours below employee pricing which is not mentioned on the official Ford incentive program but given the credit crisis, we found dealers aggressive for done deals. The available discounts now dwarf any depreciation.
We just bought a new F-250 diesel. As for fuel economy - we've already towed our 28' about 1100 miles. We averaged about 13.5 mpg and the truck is nowhere near broken in yet. The best we ever got towing with the F-150 is about 10 mpg.

Indeed - the current discounts dwarf any depreciation. I wouldn't even consider a used truck at this time.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've been keeping up with this thread, and it's sort of like listening to a Ford pep rally....I mean, really, why would any configuration of any brand of a 3/4 ton truck NOT be a good tow vehicle? Seriously?

I can only tell you this about Ford trucks....I looked at them and drove one before I bought my current GMC, and if you had as bad a back as I do, you wouldn't have a Ford.....the seats just killed me. Additionally, the Ford I drove was a 150 with the 5.4L gas engine, and it did not have as much get-up-and-go as the 4.6L Dodge I was replacing.

Don't feel I need a 3/4 ton or a Diesel to tow our trailer, so did not even look at them.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I can only tell you this about Ford trucks....I looked at them and drove one before I bought my current GMC, and if you had as bad a back as I do, you wouldn't have a Ford.....the seats just killed me.
Yup - our F-250 has a pretty stiff ride. Comes with the territory. The only vehicles that I ever had problems with were made by GM. I'll take a dependable truck (Ford) that rides like a truck (F-250/350) any day.

Quote:
Don't feel I need a 3/4 ton or a Diesel to tow our trailer, so did not even look at them.
You probably don't spend too much time towing in the Rockies either.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Yup - our F-250 has a pretty stiff ride. Comes with the territory. The only vehicles that I ever had problems with were made by GM. I'll take a dependable truck (Ford) that rides like a truck (F-250/350) any day.
Had absolutely nothing to do with the ride....my GMC rides like a truck, and very stable. It was the seats in the Ford that I couldn't stand.

Quote:
You probably don't spend too much time towing in the Rockies either.
Went to Alaska and back last summer with never a problem, and yes, there are quite a few mountains between Texas and Alaska, especially the route we took.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #60
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
I've been keeping up with this thread, and it's sort of like listening to a Ford pep rally.....
S,

It is because the the thread and title for the thread is Ford F250 .......

And any one is welcome to create a different thread about a specific different tow vehicle.

As long as this thread does not start down the road of ... this is bash about one brand versus another the thread will remain. Let's please keep it that way.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action