Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #71
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
we usually go to fort wilderness once a year ...
When do you usually go? We go every year at July 4th and Christmas. We also go in October for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. We also try to go as many other times as we can, but those are our minimums. If you and your daughter and her family are there at one of those times we might be able to hook-up for dinner or to watch one of the nightly outdoor movies at the sing-a-long and movie.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
that sounds like fun.i think we may try christmas week this year.the key is trying to coordinate with my son that is in highschool (17 years old),my daughter that is away at college (19 years old)and my older daughter and her husband known as "mr and mrs disney".my goal is to have everyone in attendance this year.i want mrs disney to try to book us from december 21 till january 4.dont know if this is possible at this point ,but will probably know within the next week.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #73
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
If you can't get your dates now, keep trying. A lot of people will book during the peak and holiday times to insure they have a reservation not knowing for sure if they will be able to go. Sometimes they will book more dates than they plan just so they can adjust their trip schedule to fit their vacation availability during the holidays and cancel the dates they can't use or cancel the whole trip if they see they can't go for financial or work related reasons. Often both spouses can't get off the same dates during the holidays or family obligations come up and they have to cancel. Keep trying if you don't get your dates. This year we didn't have 12/31 and kept calling and couldn't get it as late as the week before we were to leave. On the way down, my wife called from the truck and got the date after we had crossed over into Florida when she was calling to make a ADR for dinner. You just don't ever know what might come up.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Not trying to start more "Ford/Chevy/Dodge" stuff here, but while searching recently for towing capacities, I found this:

Diesel Pickup Truck Reviews - Ford, GMC, Dodge - Video - Towing Capacity - Popular Mechanics

Click on "Full Test Results" to see their ratings of the big three diesel trucks.

I also found it very interesting to see Popular Mechanic's fuel economy results on all three of the diesel trucks, because it does not come even close to the reports from diesel truck drivers on this forum. Hmmm?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #75
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
We took delivery on a brand new F-250 PSD 4x4 this afternoon. We got almost $13,000 off of the sticker price so it's a great time to buy. We haven't towed our 28 ft safari yet but I'm sure it will do a great job . The ride is a little rougher than our F-150 was but the 250 really kicks butt!
Your absolutely correct.

That 250 can really "KICK BUTT."

Especially the trailers butt.

If your using anything other than the lightest rating hitch, be prepared for damages to your trailer, simply because of the rigidity of the suspension.

Airstreams love a soft ride.

When you kill the softness, you also "KILL" the trailer.

We see that everyday.

Andy
Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
How light a tow setting should we use? I have a 27FB on my 2008 Super Duty and use 1000# bars on my hitch. Too much? We have had this setup for 2 years and about 12000 miles with not one issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your absolutely correct.

If your using anything other than the lightest rating hitch, be prepared for damages to your trailer, simply because of the rigidity of the suspension.

Airstreams love a soft ride.

When you kill the softness, you also "KILL" the trailer.

We see that everyday.

Andy

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #77
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your absolutely correct.

Andy
This would depend on the trailer weight. (Or towed load) Under towing can be just as bad. Use the "Goldilocks" approach and use the TV that is just right.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

Consider an AirSafe hitch when using a heavily sprung truck.

It will put a soft cushion of air between your Airstream and whatever you're towing with.

Even if your puller is a Sherman tank, the air hitch will cushion the blows on the roughest of roads.

At least, that's what it does for me.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #79
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
How light a tow setting should we use? I have a 27FB on my 2008 Super Duty and use 1000# bars on my hitch. Too much? We have had this setup for 2 years and about 12000 miles with not one issue.
Like you I have a 2008 F-250 and it has a softer rear suspension than the older F-250's. That's why I traded my 2005 for it. This is because Ford redesigned the entire truck from the ground up for 2008 and that included the suspension. The rear suspension has a softer first spring and regular springs for the rest of the leaf springs. This means that you have to have a load on the rear axle to compress that leaf spring before you get into the stiffer "super duty" suspension. Any way, the ride is closer to an F-150 than the traditional 3/4 ton until you put a full load on it. A 700 LB load divided over three axles points is not a full load so you will find that the ride is pretty soft for the Airstream. However, you might be a little heavy on the spring bars and may want to consider lighter bars if you hitch will take them.

WBCCI# 4821